996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

In the footsteps of giants - VF Supercharger Install

Old 11-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
In the footsteps of giants - VF Supercharger Install

Hi all,

Well thanks to seeing justatoy's installation thread, I too have decided to take on this adventure of a DIY installation of a VF Supercharger kit in my 2001 996 C2.

I'll be posting here the many trials and tribulations in an attempt to keep me motivated in seeing how far I have gone and to also get helpful information from the more educated of you out there on the subject.

Anyone that has done this, I know a few of you out there, that want my personal contact information (including home address to lend a hand ) PM me and I'll send it your way.

Will post some pics when the kit arrives... it is the newest V3 kit and it's being built right now!

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
pterfloth is on a distinguished road
Don't have enough posts to PM. PM me your email. I'd be glad to help. Live in Tsawwassen.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Doug996InKC will become famous soon enoughDoug996InKC will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Purplxd
it is the newest V3 kit and it's being built right now!
Is this v3 kit published on the website? Do you have a link? Thx and good luck on the install!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Please do keep us up to date on this. VF Kits has had a very bad reputation in the BMW camp and the reason why I'm on the fence about purchasing one.

Just the fact that they're on Version 3 for an older car could suggest the first two could've had some flaws or less than optimal design/build decisions and maybe not thought through entirely.

Not to mention Vivid could only speak to actual experience on a TCP kit and not the VF kit directly.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Purplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud ofPurplxd has much to be proud of
The website says it was last updated for the SC in 2006, so I doubt it has recent information.

As to the company and the kit version, I'm going off local knowledge about the quality of the kit and the install, so that gave me the confidence. I actually bought a used TPC kit a while back, but the install looked like a nightmare dropping the engine, etc.

As to V3, Vortex has made many changes due to market experience and installation feedback. For example, not needing an external oil supply and better cooling. I suspect the V3 is in reflection of Vortec and only minor changes to the overall VF piece. I'll take pictures and post them when it gets here.

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
ultraman206 is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to seeing your progress. I noticed you are semi local too, so maybe one day I will get a ride in your SC 996!

Old 11-17-2010, 02:50 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
i thought you were selling your 996?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM
No takers, so decided to finish previously planned mods...

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Not sure if you saw this DIY, it is for a 997 but a lot of info, etc. Probably one of the best DIY's for this

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...elf-style.html

Old 11-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Yup, that is the "local knowledge" I was referring too. He's so close he's almost a neighbor!

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alpine003
Please do keep us up to date on this. VF Kits has had a very bad reputation in the BMW camp and the reason why I'm on the fence about purchasing one.

Just the fact that they're on Version 3 for an older car could suggest the first two could've had some flaws or less than optimal design/build decisions and maybe not thought through entirely.

Not to mention Vivid could only speak to actual experience on a TCP kit and not the VF kit directly.
VF has one of the most popular selling M3 SC kits out there. I have personally used both this one and Active Autowerkes.

As far as what I am speaking on, it is of the additional of a Supercharger. We have also worked with the TPC Turbo Kit and I did a full review on that here - http://www.vividracing.com/blog/cate...ject-not-ours/

The reason I dont need "sell" the VF is that they have probably 500 kits in the world and were the first to deliver a very successful product. I can say the quality of their parts far exceeds what else I have seen.

Lets keep the opinions out of this thread and let Purple show us his build.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vividracing
VF has one of the most popular selling M3 SC kits out there.
Interesting you say that as most of the e46fanatics.com members would disagree and the reason why there are several M3 VF kits being sold in the used classifieds section right now. You hardly see any AA kits in the used classifieds vs. VF.

Anywho, I don't want this going off topic in this post as this is specifically VF stage 3 Porsche related.

I look forward to the install and would like to say that Purplxd has a very nice blog going.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Just as an update, VF is putting the last bits and bobs together for my SC kit and should be shipping shortly.

Still have some garage organization to complete and a boat load of servicing to get done, so not too bothered...

Was looking up the V3 Vortec supercharger online today, neat piece of kit. Apparently, to answer a question I saw, you don't need a blow off valve unless you go over 6 PSI. As the kit is not intended to go over 6 PSI I'm assuming that is why there isn't one in the kit.

The V3 I saw online can go up to 22 PSI, but that is not something I am about to entertain with my install even if it were possible...

Cheers
Aaron

Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Hey Aaron,

Keep us updated! I have the same kit on my car and love the kit! VF isn't the greatest at returning calls and doesn't produce the most power but it also won't blow your motor. Thread subsribed!

Jason

Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Just got my tracking numbers! Should have everything ready here to start work, so should have some updates this weekend...

Cheers
Aaron

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: In the footsteps of giants - VF Supercharger Install