996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Yikes - Help -- Coolant Leak Question - Big puddle on my garage floor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 04:47 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Yikes - Help -- Coolant Leak Question - Big puddle on my garage floor

I noticed a large puddle of coolant in an area between the two front wheels and more towards the drivers side. At first glance I'm thinking the worse scenario with a bad water pump, but I think that would be further back towards the front of the engine. I recently lowered my car and I'm trying to diagnose the problem and wondering if anyone can assist with the best (easiest) way of locating the line from the front left radiator (I'm guessing on that)? I did look under the car and it has drips going back towards the engine area, but I figured if it was the pump it wouldn't be wet up front (at least that's what I am hoping). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, it's a good 2o-mile haul to the nearest shop and I'm afraid to drive it that far. I suppose I could have it towed though, however, my shop told me to buy a couple of gallons of Prestone and put it in the tank if it starts to get hot.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:35 AM
CA996 is on a distinguished road
double check the plastic coolant container on the left side of the engine they are prone to leak

Old 04-07-2005, 08:14 AM
NC Bob is on a distinguished road
In order to find out where the leak is, you need to refill the cooling system. I suggest filling it with water. Let the engine idle up to operating temperature and look under the car to determine where it is leaking. Sounds like either of the front radiators or the plumbing is leaking. The coolant on the piping under the car back towards the engine is probably windblown. If the leak is bad, tow it. If not, refill with water while the engine is running and drive it to your shop. Is it under warranty?

Old 04-07-2005, 10:29 AM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the response. The leak itself doesn't really bother me that much and even if I had to replace the water pump I could handle that. What really freaked me out was that in preparation for driving it to the shop (last night) early this morning I look in the tank and noticed a little brown spot at the bottom. It freaked me out because this suggested something really bad. It was oil. There is also a small amount outside the tank on some of the hoses and the frame next to the tank. But what's inside is what bothers me. On another forum site I read some old posts about emulsified oil in the line causing a line to burst, and even some suggesting the system needs to be flushed, while some horror stories exist with some saying that a cylinder sleeve coming out of the lining causing oil to get into lines which ultimately led to an engine replacement.

I had my car towed this morning and when it was up on the flatbed (I drove it up instead of being pulled) and it was leaking from under the front end of the car inbetween the two front wheels (area). I'm bracing for the worse but at the least I'm fairly certain now it's not the pump. Anyone else with this experience?

Old 04-07-2005, 12:46 PM
The source of the leak has been found and it's a y-pipe in the front. I am told what I thought was oil is residue at the bottom of the tank form coolant, not oil. Assuming this is accurate I couldn't be happier! I've been up since 2:30 AM steaming over thinking the worse case scenario.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:52 AM
NC Bob is on a distinguished road
Congrats. Dodged the bullet.