996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help needed to sort the GT3 swaybars on a C4s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 PM
jyoteen is on a distinguished road
Help needed to sort the GT3 swaybars on a C4s

Don't post much here, but help needed....

I installed the front GT3 adjustable bar on my C4s this evening. It was a ***** because of the extra reinforcement bars on the C4s, and the bolts would not budge. After some wrestling, I got the original bar out and got the GT3 bar in.

But the main thing is that after I put everything back together, I'm getting what I can only imagine is some sort of contact/rubbing on steering lock. I have the Tarett Endlinks (PSS10 coilovers as well)

So, now what? I read somewhere that GMG has curved endlinks but is this supposed to take care of this rubbing?

Secondly, Can I drive my car (obviously avoiding excessive steering lock) with the bar on? I have an appointment anyways on Monday with Callas Rennsport.

What's the shadetree mechanic's input on this issue?

Ill be installing the rear adjustable bar tomorrow. I hope it's easier.

TIA

Old 08-13-2011, 10:52 PM
pmkazz will become famous soon enoughpmkazz will become famous soon enough
The GT3 is a 2 wheel drive car.. The sway bars from the GT3 are not made for the C4S, which is 4 wheel drive. I can see a problem here.. Maybe you should have went with the Porsche X73 or the sway bars on the Turbo, or H&R..

Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
the wide body cars NEED the curved links, the ones you have will not work. if you have to, just remove the links, and zip tie the swaybar up and out of the way till you get to the shop, it's not recommended but you decide if the risk is worth taking.... also the GMG parts are top notch!

Last edited by Sharp; 08-13-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:23 PM
jyoteen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sharp
the wide body cars NEED the curved links, the ones you have will not work. if you have to, just remove the links, and zip tie the swaybar up and out of the way till you get to the shop, it's not recommended but you decide if the risk is worth taking.... also the GMG parts are top notch!

I'll reinstall the front OE bar back tomorrow.

What about the rears? Need the same GMG link? I would have figured the tarett links would have been OK.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
In the rear any link works even the stock ones, i'm running the stock rear links till i find some that I like, The GMG ones are good again, just pricey....
In your case you need the curved ones in the front and only need adjustable ones in the rear if you going to get the car corner balanced.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
jr2
jr2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pmkazz
The GT3 is a 2 wheel drive car.. The sway bars from the GT3 are not made for the C4S, which is 4 wheel drive. I can see a problem here.. Maybe you should have went with the Porsche X73 or the sway bars on the Turbo, or H&R..

I have an '02 C4S and the dealer [Sun Motor Cars near Harrisburg, PA] service records from the prior owner show installation of "GT3 adjustable sway bars with AP [Agency Power] adjustable links" ($979 parts and $257 labor), done at the same time as installation of PSS9s ($2,974 parts and $814 labor, including "4-wheel alignment and adjusting vehicle height front and rear") -- I can have my mechanic check next time I'm in as to whether the sway bars are GT3 or Agency Power

[acknowledge that GT3 is narrow-body, but don't know if AP adjustable links would enable use of GT3 sways].

Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Mayby I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any difference in the front of a widebody car vs a std......it is only the rear end that is different. Are you saying it's needed to get around the FWD hardware?

I think it is the GT3 bars end connection holes that are different and require diffferent end links.

Originally Posted by Sharp

Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM
jr2
jr2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Brando
Mayby I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any difference in the front of a widebody car vs a std......it is only the rear end that is different. Are you saying it's needed to get around the FWD hardware?

I think it is the GT3 bars end connection holes that are different and require diffferent end links.
the 996 widebody cars are, of course, 4WD, but I don't know if that would change the front suspension geometry or set-up