6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   Question--My 2002 front end makes a knocking noise (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/258413-question-my-2002-front-end-makes-knocking-noise.html)

Ersel 10-24-2011 03:46 PM

Question--My 2002 front end makes a knocking noise

When I drive my 2002 for more than 15-20 minutes I notice a knocking sound. It seems to be coming from/related/heard near the front suspension or steering area and more pronounced over little bumps and while driving on streets. When I drive the car the next day, the noise will always go away until the car is driven for a while again. It seems like the sound can be heard behind the dashboard.
When I had it on the rack awhile ago the mechanic didn’t see any issues and unfortunately it wasn’t making the knocking sound when I took him for a test drive. Any ideas what is causing the problem?

JayFunk 10-25-2011 06:01 AM

tie rods? my inner ones are bad so i gotta replace those soon. also see if anything is loose or rolling around in the front boot. some people have reported there jack or wheel lock was loose and that was causing the noise up front. silly but it happens. good luck!

Dennis C 10-25-2011 07:56 AM

Sounds like worn bushings in the suspension. Is the car a C2 or a C4? AWD cars have some additional suspension components that can wear out as well.

Ersel 10-25-2011 10:30 AM

There's nothing in the boot area rolling around--good question. Again, it is consistent when the rattling starts happening. When the car is warmed-up/driven for more than 15 minutes straight.
It is a C2.
Thanks

PKStyles 10-25-2011 11:22 AM

its your front toe-links. had the same problem. it's a cheap fix, maybe $60 a side and half hour to an hour labour.

Ersel 10-28-2011 05:04 PM

And did you have the same intermittent problem with the clunk noise?

producerjohn 04-17-2013 12:41 AM

Did anyone ever find a fix for this?

Ersel 04-17-2013 03:04 PM

I had my car serviced by the Porsche dealer 2 months ago and have not had the clunking sound for a while. However, I only drive the car 500 miles a year and for short drives. Unfortunately, I have not heard the sound for a long time and the mechanic could not replicate the sound either. So, they were speculating it was some steering thing that would cost me like $500 a side or $1k a pair. I didn 't really believe them since they were speculating so I didn't have it done. I REALLY need to drive the car more and when I do the problem will arrise. Seems like the car needs to get warmed-up and driven at least 30+ miles for the issue to start/be heard.

Ersel 04-19-2013 09:58 AM

Mine is a C2

roadsession 04-22-2013 02:29 PM

you'll have to replace inner and outer tie rods

tarzancoe 04-23-2013 11:34 PM

Just in case, check that the spare tire is not loose. It would make a clunk noise.

FLA996TT 04-24-2013 07:07 AM

Just an FYI, you really do need to drive it more. Water will accumulate in your oil and brake fluid.

Originally Posted by Ersel (Post 3824417)
I had my car serviced by the Porsche dealer 2 months ago and have not had the clunking sound for a while. However, I only drive the car 500 miles a year and for short drives. Unfortunately, I have not heard the sound for a long time and the mechanic could not replicate the sound either. So, they were speculating it was some steering thing that would cost me like $500 a side or $1k a pair. I didn 't really believe them since they were speculating so I didn't have it done. I REALLY need to drive the car more and when I do the problem will arrise. Seems like the car needs to get warmed-up and driven at least 30+ miles for the issue to start/be heard.

white out 04-24-2013 07:57 AM

I had the same issue with my C2. Ended up being the sway bar bushings. They are super cheap and easy to replace. I highly suggest replacing those first to see if they are the cause.

Bigbiglemoncoke 05-15-2013 01:17 AM

hi,
does the knocking noise happen under braking?

boxster0310 08-08-2015 12:04 PM

Similar Noise 2003 Boxster

I have a similar situation. A knocking noise coming from what sounds like the front left of my boxster. I only ever notice it when on the interstate and the windows are up. If the radio is on, or the windows are down I guess it's just not loud enough to be noticeable. I never hear it at slower speeds... generally it happens at 60 or above.
It will come and go, but I think that has to do with speed. Have recently had the car serviced... they did a purchase inspection and came back with nothing.

Any suggestions?
I'm posting, as the situations described as creating the noise for this thread are different then mine.
I appreciate any suggestions