996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Brakes Brakes brakes..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:00 PM
sempaipaul will become famous soon enough
Brakes Brakes brakes..

Hello all!

Well it has time to do a full brake job make over.

I got my new pads: Stoptech Street Performance
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2022828
Front and rear was $126 shipped! Which I consider a great deal and seems as they are nice pads.. lots of BMW guys use them...

Now looking for the most economical way for OEM quality rotors (have to be cross drilled) What would you guys recommend? I found these.. what do you think? I can't figure out whether they are cross drilled or not.. picture shows them as cross drilled but due to price I am a bit skeptical
http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...-%20Meyle.aspx

What would you guys recommend for brake lines? I wanted to go SS, however people say they are more prone to failure... So what brand of OEM quality brake lines shall I get?

Also, looking at brake fluid.. I have come across a brand called Royal Purple which everyone seems to like very much, what do you guys think?

Andddd.. lastly... Brake Caliper rebuilders and re-painters.. who do you guys recommend for most valuable service?

thanks!!!!

-Paul

Old 11-02-2011, 08:51 PM
win911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud ofwin911 has much to be proud of
Hey Paul
I was in your shoe at one time. At the end I decided to go with factory OEM brake pads and rotors. SS brake lines covered wih silicone...forgot the brand. As for fluid..ATE.
The rotors you are looking are priced cheap...might be some cheap China brand..half the price half the quality.
Brake painting...I did myself with brake caliper paint and clear coat.
With my set up..I drive my car in the street and track twice a year. I have no braking issues in the track.

Brakes are something you do not want to go cheap on.
Good luck.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by win911
Hey Paul
I was in your shoe at one time. At the end I decided to go with factory OEM brake pads and rotors. SS brake lines covered wih silicone...forgot the brand. As for fluid..ATE.
The rotors you are looking are priced cheap...might be some cheap China brand..half the price half the quality.
Brake painting...I did myself with brake caliper paint and clear coat.
With my set up..I drive my car in the street and track twice a year. I have no braking issues in the track.

Brakes are something you do not want to go cheap on.
Good luck.

Thanks for the response!

Yeah definitely agreed on brakes. However funny thing is Meyle is a German company that I have used before, but I remember it being right at OEM price levels, that is why I was wondering why these are so cheap..

Thanks,
Paul

Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
69$??Serious?
If u cant maintain your car on a certain level, get rid of it. This is brakes, not interior styling...

Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by mikegr
69$??Serious?
If u cant maintain your car on a certain level, get rid of it. This is brakes, not interior styling...
If you cant state your opinion on a decent way, keep it to yourself. Isnt the main idea of this thread to get advice?... I think it is.

With that said, has anyone,had experience with these German rotors? Any other ones you guys can recommend?

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
I do have experience with Vertex and some of their "lower" priced components... be careful, I ordered the Balo versions myself and they ended up uncoated and started to rust immediately. I re-ordered a set of Stebro that were coated and have been happy with them for the past year. Do NOT buy uncoated rotors...

Old 11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
scantu is on a distinguished road
Hey Mike,

A wealthy man once told me.... " The minute you think that you dont have the need to save money or find alternative ways to watch your budget is the day you begin to go broke!" I believe it.... crappy comments only show your personality.

Cheers

Old 11-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Goldduster is on a distinguished road
Brakes

Three things not to cheap out on; steering, brakes and tires!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:27 PM
scantu is on a distinguished road
there is a difference between "cheaply made" and inexpensive. Just because the part costs less doesnt always mean it isnt built well..

If you shop around, wait for discounts and or mark down items, you can find parts half of new... and if you dont have the knowledge to do it.. go and pay top dollar while I save cash.

Same goes for over spending. Just because it costs more doesnt ensure better quality!

Ive noticed that there are many people on this board that jump to the conlusion that others shouldnt be driving these cars because their wallets arent huge... for thise guys that have that mentality.. **** off!

This board is supposed to be helpful.. not to poke fun or prove that Porsche owners are stuck up ******.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Goldduster is on a distinguished road
I don't disagree of savings on deals, but I hold firm on any vehicle, whether its a porsche or a ford, don't put junk brakes, tires or steering items on your car. Ultimately it can be the most expensive thing you ever did. A car is replaceable, your life isn't!

Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 AM
RugRunner is on a distinguished road
Doing it once and doing it right > doing it wrong multiple times. That said, who's to say there is something wrong with scoring a deal if you stumble across one?

Old 11-06-2011, 02:16 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
in any case i wouldn't trust disks that are cheaper than pads