996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cost for IMS, RMS, AOS and clutch / Prices too high?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 AM
a1certified is on a distinguished road
I paid $800 in labor for the clutch and RMS to be replaced a few years ago. The seal and bolts were $30. I forget about the clutch part itself.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Parkcity911 is on a distinguished road
IMS plus update

Got the LN IMS bearing retrofit in from Pelican today. Pulled the seal off the old one and looked very good for 75K. Was surprised to see "japan" embossed on the seal, but Indy said new one from LN says that too. Hmmm. Thought for a while that this bearing may have been done already, but it was sealed. Went to the LN site and saw his pics of the old ones say Japan too. RMS was tight with no leaks, IMS was tight with no signs of shavings or breaking up...replacing both anyway. Clutch was hashed and down to the rivets, but flywheel still okay. Funny, no slipping at all. Maybe due to lower HP on this 3.4? Seemed to work well also, but got mushy when driven hard and hot.

New spin on Napa gold 1042 on my LN filter adaptor. Ready to reassemble tranny and refill with fresh Amsoil Euro 5W-40 oil. AOS also going in today. Plugs, water pump tomorrow.

New water pump with 160F LN therm going in. See photos of my gauge after pulling I80 Parley's canyon (a 3,000 foot pull up a winding interstate from work to my home). Runs close to 210 when cresting the top and then has a hard time cooling down even with a 1,000 foot drop down the other side at low rpm's and 75-80 mph. Hoping the 160 T stat will keep it cooler from the get go. I'll report back.

Name:  photo-24.jpg
Views: 4839
Size:  248.4 KB Name:  photo-16.jpg
Views: 4868
Size:  189.7 KB
Name:  photo-19.jpg
Views: 4825
Size:  222.1 KB Name:  photo-23.jpg
Views: 4876
Size:  230.7 KB
Name:  photo-17.jpg
Views: 5027
Size:  230.7 KB

Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM
JB's 996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jfintexas
I agree. Just had my IMS, a clutch kit, and the RMS replaced. They checked the AOS it was fine. The bearing ended up being fine BTW too. This all costed $2600 (parts, labor, and tax included). Specifically, IMS was $1700 and clutch kit $700, parts and labor included. Your numbers are high.
jfintexas, I am in N. Plano, thinking about replacing the IMS, where did you had yours done?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2012, 05:05 PM
jfintexas is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JB's 996
jfintexas, I am in N. Plano, thinking about replacing the IMS, where did you had yours done?

Thanks!
RAC Performance in Carrollton. Talk to Hans. If your a member of PCA, they give a discount.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 PM
RAC Performance in Carrollton. Talk to Hans. If your a member of PCA, they give a discount.
Thanks jfintexas! sorry! I didn't see you had responded to the same question...

Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by JB's 996
Thanks jfintexas! sorry! I didn't see you had responded to the same question...
No problem! BTW, RAC is hosting a Cars and Bikes tomorrow from 8-12N. I will be there around 10. You should come by. Great time to meet RAC and see fellow owners of exotics and bikes. Hope to see you there. ---Jamie

Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 AM
No problem! BTW, RAC is hosting a Cars and Bikes tomorrow from 8-12N. I will be there around 10. You should come by. Great time to meet RAC and see fellow owners of exotics and bikes. Hope to see you there. ---Jamie
Cool! I'll try to make it... thanks Jamie!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Parkcity911 is on a distinguished road
Just a follow up. The service turned out great. Bob Bowen at Concourse Auto Werks in Salt Lake City did a great job for me. The price of the job was about $3500 for everything. My IMS bearing did look good, but am glad I chose to swap it out and hope to get as much good use out of the new LN bearing. I also chose to be progressive based on comments here and swap out the AOS and water pump. With the water pump, I went with the 160 T stat from LN. I also had the bumper removed and radiators cleaned out. I also did the air filter and cabin filter (which was filthy). New NGK plugs and the coil paks and wires looked good. 3 tubes were replaced. New 50/50 mix of Porsche coolant added along with Amsoil's version of water wetter (touted to be better than redline, but probably the same). A fresh fill of 5W-40 Amsoil European. I took a sample and got an excellent report back from Blackstone already / engine and oil looked good (where to post these?).

The only thing I'm not used to and I question. My clutch feel is now super soft. It was quite firm and toward the end of the pedal release when engaging. The new releases about 1/2 way out and feels too soon. My mechanic told me this was hydrolic and could not be adjusted out. Is this right? No adjustment on where clutch engages? If you can, how? I can get used to the softness and the clutch is working great, just want it to release a bit later as it used to.

The car is now in for a new bumper freshly painted thanks to the valet crashing it into the vehicle in front of him. I'm having it clear bra'd Monday AM. Will send pics then. Thanks for reading / have a good weekend.

Last edited by Parkcity911; 05-05-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Hind is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Parkcity911
Just a follow up. The service turned out great. Bob Bowen at Concourse Auto Werks in Salt Lake City did a great job for me. The price of the job was about $3500 for everything. My IMS bearing did look good, but am glad I chose to swap it out and hope to get as much good use out of the new LN bearing. I also chose to be progressive based on comments here and swap out the AOS and water pump. With the water pump, I went with the 160 T stat from LN. I also had the bumper removed and radiators cleaned out. I also did the air filter and cabin filter (which was filthy). New NGK plugs and the coil paks and wires looked good. 3 tubes were replaced. New 50/50 mix of Porsche coolant added along with Amsoil's version of water wetter (touted to be better than redline, but probably the same). A fresh fill of 5W-40 Amsoil European. I took a sample and got an excellent report back from Blackstone already / engine and oil looked good (where to post these?).

The only thing I'm not used to and I question. My clutch feel is now super soft. It was quite firm and toward the end of the pedal release when engaging. The new releases about 1/2 way out and feels too soon. My mechanic told me this was hydrolic and could not be adjusted out. Is this right? No adjustment on where clutch engages? If you can, how? I can get used to the softness and the clutch is working great, just want it to release a bit later as it used to.

The car is now in for a new bumper freshly painted thanks to the valet crashing it into the vehicle in front of him. I'm having it clear bra'd Monday AM. Will send pics then. Thanks for reading / have a good weekend.

Nice report, feels good to have the IMS plus other maint updated. I'm close to gettin my first pcar, researching.... GL w clutch

Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Parkcity911

Yep. The Porsche clutch stiffens and engages engages later as the clutch wears. It can be a little shocking/unnerving how soft it become when working properly.

As far as I know your mechanic is correct and there is no adjustment available.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Fozzybear
Yep. The Porsche clutch stiffens and engages engages later as the clutch wears. It can be a little shocking/unnerving how soft it become when working properly.

As far as I know your mechanic is correct and there is no adjustment available.
Yep. Had my done awahile back and it was super soft. It has stiffened ever so slightly, but not much. I confirmed with a mechanic over the weekend that nothing can be done as far as the release.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 PM
wdmtexas is on a distinguished road
I agree. Just had my IMS, a clutch kit, and the RMS replaced. They checked the AOS it was fine. The bearing ended up being fine BTW too. This all costed $2600 (parts, labor, and tax included). Specifically, IMS was $1700 and clutch kit $700, parts and labor included. Your numbers are high.
Busy couple of days. I have just joined 6speeonline. I am building a home in McKinney and also just bought a 2005 Boxster S with just under 15K miles. I'm planning on getting the IMS upgrade done as a preventative and am wondering where you had your work done. Thanks

Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by wdmtexas
Busy couple of days. I have just joined 6speeonline. I am building a home in McKinney and also just bought a 2005 Boxster S with just under 15K miles. I'm planning on getting the IMS upgrade done as a preventative and am wondering where you had your work done. Thanks
Hi wdmtexas. Welcome! I used RAC Performance in Addison. Looking forward to meeting you one of these days. Maybe coffee. Take care. ---Jamie

Old 01-26-2014, 12:38 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
bump +1 I am there now and this is a great thread on what should be replaced with the engine out to replace an AOS. Thanks

Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM
AA717driver is on a distinguished road
Hummm... My clutch is super stiff compared to my 328i. Could it be that it's time? 68k on the odo.

Hoping to make it to 75-80k mi.

TC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cost for IMS, RMS, AOS and clutch / Prices too high?