6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   New forum member looking to buy 996 within the next 8 months (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/284642-new-forum-member-looking-buy-996-within-next-8-months.html)

Japanophile1001 08-22-2012 08:45 AM

New forum member looking to buy 996 within the next 8 months

Hey all

New to the forum, and also new to Porsches, which have been a childhood dream since I was about 4.,

As the thread title suggest, I plan to get a used 996 in the not too distant future, so here I am doing my research and searches. I have several questions

- How many "generations" of 996 is out there? Like some cars, they make subtle difference and classify it as a new generation, is that the case with the 996? If so, is there a specific one thats has more problem than the others

- What are some of the common issue that new owners should expect to see with a 996?

- What is considered to be high mileage? I am in Canada, so we go by KM, and I've seen anything from 40K KM up to 150K KM. I can either afford a low KM 02-03, or a High KM 04-05. What are your thoughts?

- What are things to watch for when I do start the actual shopping (I started already technically, mostly online) in December?

- At what KM should the vehicle go through a major service (Timing belt, pump et all).

I own several Audis in the past, they usually recommend belt and pump change at 100K KM. That said, would a higher mileage car be better since it probably have that done already? How much will that maintenance job cost?

Thanks for your help!

Stone_05 08-22-2012 10:59 AM

Welcome! A lot of your questions can be answered if you use the "search" function. I found all my info doing that when I was looking for mine. Then I had specific questions that I asked when I found the car I wanted. Once you get your answers...make sure you know which model you want. I was sold on the C2 until I went on the C4S thread. Didn't look back after that! Also, make sure you get a PPI before buying. Best $250 I spent! Good luck with your search!!!

FLA996TT 08-22-2012 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Japanophile1001 (Post 3622364)
Hey all

New to the forum, and also new to Porsches, which have been a childhood dream since I was about 4.,

As the thread title suggest, I plan to get a used 996 in the not too distant future, so here I am doing my research and searches. I have several questions

- How many "generations" of 996 is out there? Like some cars, they make subtle difference and classify it as a new generation, is that the case with the 996? If so, is there a specific one thats has more problem than the others
Well, the 996 itself is the 4th generation 911, but you would have the Carrera 2, Carrera 4S, Carrera S, and the Turbo, and Turbo s. Each has variations, such as Targa, Cab., and so on. The 2004 was the last 996.

- What are some of the common issue that new owners should expect to see with a 996?

You will hear a lot about the IMS bearing, but given the number of cars produced it's relitively low. Rear Main Seal is another. But like any other sports car it really goes accross the board, problems I have may not affect you. Also, cars with problems have usually not been driven, these cars are made to be drives, just keep the shiney side up!
Get a PPI, if you worry about the IMS and/or RMS put in the LNE upgrade, and change the RMS and be done, I did it. Also, the LNE screw on filter adapter is a great mod and makes it easy to chenge the oil.

- What is considered to be high mileage? I am in Canada, so we go by KM, and I've seen anything from 40K KM up to 150K KM. I can either afford a low KM 02-03, or a High KM 04-05. What are your thoughts?

High mileage is subjective, to a point. Alot depends on how the car was maintained. I bought a 2003 C4S with 31,000 miles on it and the cost was reasonable. If you can, get low mileage, well maintained (has records), is cosmetically in good shape with options you like, THEN forget what other say, it's your car.

- What are things to watch for when I do start the actual shopping (I started already technically, mostly online) in December?

People who won't let you get a PPI and have no records, if possible buy from a Porsche or high end sports car dealer, not a buy here pay here place.

- At what KM should the vehicle go through a major service (Timing belt, pump et all).

30K miles, 60k miles...etc. Don't listen about oil changes, do it every 5k miles or 6 months which ever comes first.

I own several Audis in the past, they usually recommend belt and pump change at 100K KM. That said, would a higher mileage car be better since it probably have that done already? How much will that maintenance job cost?

Depends if the prior owne did it! Cost, nothing on a Porsche is cheap, labor rates $95 - $115 per hour. One note: Keep up on the simple stuff, no exceptions. If the car has been sitting or not driven on a regular basis, first off get an oil change and brake fluid flush as water can collect in these fluids.

Thanks for your help!

Please keep in mind this is mostly my opinion and not gospel and I'm sure some will disagree and agree.
Hope this helps..

Jim

Please fell free to pm me if you want other opinions, I'd be happy to help you in you persuit of a Porsche.

Japanophile1001 08-22-2012 12:01 PM

Hello

Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions I have. I did do a search, but wasn't sure what specifics to look for. I did read through the IMS thread, so, if i do get the car (Other on my consider list is the Aston and the Maserati), thats probably the first thing I will do. I have a very good friend thats a VW Audi mechanic, so, in a way, service means parts + free dinner, he seem to be confident that he can repair posches.. so....

Sorry for being ignorant, but what is PPI? I never heard of it, I hope its just because its not something typical in Canada and not that I am completely stupid :)

FLA996TT 08-22-2012 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Japanophile1001 (Post 3622510)
Hello

Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions I have. I did do a search, but wasn't sure what specifics to look for. I did read through the IMS thread, so, if i do get the car (Other on my consider list is the Aston and the Maserati), thats probably the first thing I will do. I have a very good friend thats a VW Audi mechanic, so, in a way, service means parts + free dinner, he seem to be confident that he can repair posches.. so....

Sorry for being ignorant, but what is PPI? I never heard of it, I hope its just because its not something typical in Canada and not that I am completely stupid :)

A PPI is a "Pre-Purchase Inspection." You're getting a sweet deal on labor, does he travel?hilarious

Japanophile1001 08-22-2012 12:25 PM

Unfortunately, no, he is willing to do this because he live very close to me (I can see his house from my bedroom window)

I see, I guess the best is if i get a used car from the dealership then, we have a pretty good porsche dealership in our area...

FLA996TT 08-22-2012 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Japanophile1001 (Post 3622527)
Unfortunately, no, he is willing to do this because he live very close to me (I can see his house from my bedroom window)

I see, I guess the best is if i get a used car from the dealership then, we have a pretty good porsche dealership in our area...

Look on Craigs List as well, listen, the best advice I can give you is to take your time, cars come and go, you will know it's the one when you see it, drive it, and think to yourself "I just love this car", it should wow you. Don't just settle!

Not sure where you are but this is an example of one I'd look at in Vancover:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...176680122.html

Japanophile1001 08-22-2012 01:12 PM

Thanks Flat. I am in Toronto, I've looked at craigs, definitely some interesting find

I am not rushing, wife is still on mat leave, so the earliest we will do this is december, but I told her i probably won't do that, probably will get the car in around feb/march, just to do more research and shop around... as you said, i am not going to rush on this......

FLA996TT 08-22-2012 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Japanophile1001 (Post 3622582)
Thanks Flat. I am in Toronto, I've looked at craigs, definitely some interesting find

I am not rushing, wife is still on mat leave, so the earliest we will do this is december, but I told her i probably won't do that, probably will get the car in around feb/march, just to do more research and shop around... as you said, i am not going to rush on this......

Sound godd, congrats on the new little one! Look, if I can help either PM or e-mail me.

juanchi300 08-22-2012 04:26 PM

If you are interested . This one is a 2000 with only 32,000 miles. Gt-2 look. $39k http://www.fiberwerks.com/DSC01666.JPG

PoRsChE_ShIfTiN 08-22-2012 05:28 PM

Get a PPI check, if you think the car is clean and doesn't seem over priced for it's miles then buy it. If the IMS and RMS makes you nervous then call your local dealer and ask how much it will be to have this work done and figure that into your budget. I have had my C4S for two years now and haven't had to do a thing but change the oil and drive her like a race car :-)

You will love owning a Pcar...there really is no substitute

FLA996TT 08-23-2012 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by PoRsChE_ShIfTiN (Post 3622808)
Get a PPI check, if you think the car is clean and doesn't seem over priced for it's miles then buy it. If the IMS and RMS makes you nervous then call your local dealer and ask how much it will be to have this work done and figure that into your budget. I have had my C4S for two years now and haven't had to do a thing but change the oil and drive her like a race car :-)

You will love owning a Pcar...there really is no substitute

Ditto with my C4S.....

Fozzybear 08-23-2012 10:27 AM

You may want to consider buying a car in the States and importing it. The process is not that difficult and you can save a bundle - not to mention the added benefit of being able to buy a car that has never seen snow or salt.

GoAirforce84 08-23-2012 09:13 PM

Car for sale...

You will love the 911, I know I have loved mine, and considering another!

Well, I am actually considering selling mine to upgrade to a 997 or 996 Turbo, so mine will be for sale, and I guess, really is for sale all the time. So if you are serious and want a good deal I can elaborate some more on mine if you are interested.
PM for details if you would like. It's going for a very good price and of course I am negotiable. All stock parts including wheels, exhaust, intake, etc are available and with the car right now (I'm deployed still for a few more weeks) and included. '99 C2, Black/Black, 71000 miles, OZ Aleggerita 18's with new tires, (sport design 18's/winter tires included) Fabspeed muffler bypass, K&N intake. New clutch/flywheel, brakes, RMS and IMS within 6000 miles, and only synthetic oil used, and changed every 5000. Don't want to to continue threadjacking, there are many more parts included. PM me if you are interested. Located in NC, so not the worst as far as shipping goes.
-Jonathan

NIKAS 08-24-2012 04:47 PM

If you are in metro TO area, check out PCA Upper Canada Region Classifieds, Kajiji, Autotrader, Craigslist, and Ebay. I've bot cars on Ebay and shipped across at Niagara Falls to Toronto. Have all the contacts and companies if you want a PM. It's pretty easy to do - and you can get a zero rust car. Need daytime running lights and few other things to pass inspection. The Loonie is strong right now, so keep that in mind. Good luck and have fun!