996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

SM_ATL's 2003 Carrera Project

Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Hey I think Porsche will be represented VERY well in the new hood... with 2 generations no less.
Sounds like exciting times... congrats!
Enjoying life as much as we can until taxes go up

Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Sunroof delete...

Tried the bucket seats this morning and headroom is very limited when wearing my helmet. Going for a full sunroof delete as we speak. Lining, motor, rails etc. already removed. Seems like a substantial weight saving too. Still need to bolt the body part of the sunroof and seal it. Maybe will have it covered with DiNoc film for improved water tightness and cleaner look.

Hope to have current mods completed tonight... Fingers crossed!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Sunroof delete...

Tried the bucket seats this morning and headroom is very limited when wearing my helmet. Going for a full sunroof delete as we speak. Lining, motor, rails etc. already removed. Seems like a substantial weight saving too. Still need to bolt the body part of the sunroof and seal it. Maybe will have it covered with DiNoc film for improved water tightness and cleaner look.

Hope to have current mods completed tonight... Fingers crossed!
I forget where but I saw there is a lightweight (CF I think) roof insert available which might be just the thing for ya.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:47 PM
SoCal GT3 will become famous soon enough
Great thread so far...cant wait to see your progress!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Sunroof delete: work in progress

All the trim has been removed, 2 small/light aluminum bars are holding the sunroof in place and a polyurethane seal has been applied. Just need to trim the aluminum down a bit and let the PU cure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8203974424/
Car is at Butler Tire right now for a 'full race' suspension adjustment and alignment. Will get the car on the road tomorrow to break all the new stuff in

A couple more teasers

Interior stripped, rollbar in place:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8202884093/
Rennline metal mats:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8202884479/
Fabspeed intake installed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8202883281/
Will post a full report with all the mods and before-&-after pics next week!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Someone looking for used 996 parts ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8204095761/

Old 11-21-2012, 03:27 AM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
Am now day dreaming of doing a project on a 996 like yours but looks like it costed you more than a second hand 997 gt3

Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by aljaberh
Am now day dreaming of doing a project on a 996 like yours but looks like it costed you more than a second hand 997 gt3
Thanks. Regarding the cost, the house's policy is not to talk about money , but I am still well below the cost of a used 997 GT3... on which I would probably have done a number of mods anyhow (do not take me wrong, I'd love to have a 997 GT3!)

Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Suspension and alignment complete:

Car suspension was adjusted last night and alignment performed.

here's a pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8204111867/
and the data:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/8205233576/
While discussing it with the shop we have finally been a bit conservative for this first setup. We could have gone a little bit lower and add more camber, but I'll get used to the car for the first days like this (and do a DE this week end) and let the springs and everything else settle and break in. The PSS10's are on the stiffest setting though.

On the way back, the ride was -intentionally- very firm and the car handles 1,000 times better than when I got it: sharp, stable and cornering very flat

Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 AM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Thanks. Regarding the cost, the house's policy is not to talk about money , but I am still well below the cost of a used 997 GT3... on which I would probably have done a number of mods anyhow (do not take me wrong, I'd love to have a 997 GT3!)
I didnt mean to be nosy with the cost, just saw that you added lots of mods. Anyway if i was in your position i will also prefer to do what you did instead of buying a GT3 ready for the track which is cool as well

Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by aljaberh
I didnt mean to be nosy with the cost, just saw that you added lots of mods. Anyway if i was in your position i will also prefer to do what you did instead of buying a GT3 ready for the track which is cool as well
No worries, and no offense taken of course! Part of my plan was also to start from an inexpensive 'bodyshell' so that in case I wreck the car, I could still transfer most of the parts, engine etc. and get back on the track at a fraction of the cost compared to a more recent track oriented car! (in the same way that I was getting increasingly concerned to push my new 991S harder and harder on the track!)

Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM
I totally agree, i have a 991 on order an after seeing your amazing post i already started to consider buying a 996 and doing a similar project or to wait for a year or so and buy a base 997, thumbs up on your great taste and enjoy your 996 in great health!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 AM
vdubjetta02 is on a distinguished road
This is my dream build...

I want to start with a C4s.... then take the back seats out, put two recaros up front, suspension & full exhaust...

Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM
The car was finally ready on time to go to Road Atlanta last week end. Here's an ugly iPhone pic just to show I am not lying

I have not had the time to do a decent photoshoot or before-&-after write ups yet but will take care of this soon. Meanwhile, the car is already back at the shop...

Now back to the track experience: the car made me work a lot more than my 991S but this was also more rewarding. My goal was mostly to learn the car this week end and I ended up lapping 3 to 4s slower than with the 991s: 1:49 vs 1:45. I read that a good time with a well prepped 996 is 1:37 so there is a huge room to improve –probably a lot more for the driver than the car itself!!!
The only frustration is to have to give a lot more point by's in the straights when Vette's and others really get on the full engine power (the 991S was only passed 'easily' by GTR's)

The engine pulled well. I found I was lacking a bit of torque up to 3,000 rpm but am definitely revving up more easily at/above 4,000pm than before the intake/exhaust/ECU tune install. I'll do another dyno in the coming days now that everything is installed and broken in.

I still find the steering feeling a little too light around the centre and, in general, while being very communicative, a little to sensitive to my inputs at high speed (>100 mph) making the car a bit twitchy. Also, under high speed breaking (i.e. when hitting the brakes at 140 mph at the end of Road Atlanta's backstraight), there is a bit of tail wagging and the car feels a slightly unsettled. I'll do some more work on the front suspension (control arms, get rid of remaining rubber bushings) and on the aerodynamics. I honestly thought that aero-stuff was more for cosmetics -or showing off- but talking to former 996 owners, it looks like it can really make a difference.

I have been advised to look at Mike Shaws's GT3 wing+decklid by happy customers and it seems to be good value for money.

After that, I swear, I'll take a pause and drive the sh** out of the car for a couple of months

Attached Images  

Last edited by SM_ATL; 01-27-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Loving it! Maybe brake calipers in orange to match?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 1.53 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's 2003 Carrera Project