996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

battery problems-Weather???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 AM
brapp is on a distinguished road
battery problems-Weather???

I cannot believe after just 2.5 years my new battery seems like it doesn't want to crank over when the temperature gets colder outside here in the mid-atlantic. Any one else have the same problems?

I do not think that would be normal because i really do not want to go out and purchase a new battery.

Besides the new batteries that you can get from the dealer, any recomendations from you all on other places to purchase? Costco, Sears?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche batteries for our cars were never really that strong. I just try to be good about keeping it on a battery tender, especially if it's not a daily driver.

A lot of people have used and recommended Interstate batteries as an alternative.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
You need a NEW battery... trust me. DO NOT buy an OEM version, they are C.R.A.P . I am using Interstate. Works for me. There are many other choices.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:42 PM
porschenoofs is on a distinguished road
Optima Battery

I have used an Optima R 34 for years. They are great. You will need an adapter plate, but they are inexpensive.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
When I bought my 996 the owner replaced the OEM with an Interstate. It's been a couple of times now that it won't start on the first turn of the key. Checked Costco Kirkland batteries. 3 yr replacement warranty then pro-rated.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM
aedolfan is on a distinguished road
Porschenoofs, do you use your 996 as a DD? The reason I ask, is because you are putting a lot at risk if you are. I work for Snapon Tools and we sell a very specific battery charger for these type (glass mat) of batteries. I am in full understanding of how these batteries are required to be charged. Unless you changed your charging system, you have the potential for that battery to detonate while its in your car. Just thought you would like to know.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Tell me more.... I am actually not charging my battery ( I have an Interstate).. I am tendering that battery ie very low, trickle charging levels. And yes, mine is a DDriver.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:25 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aedolfan
Porschenoofs, do you use your 996 as a DD? The reason I ask, is because you are putting a lot at risk if you are. I work for Snapon Tools and we sell a very specific battery charger for these type (glass mat) of batteries. I am in full understanding of how these batteries are required to be charged. Unless you changed your charging system, you have the potential for that battery to detonate while its in your car. Just thought you would like to know.
LOL, Where do these Porschegoofs come from?

Last edited by alpine003; 11-30-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Hroussard, here's the deal, the most modern of cars that come from the factory with an AGM or gel cell battery have charging systems that charge using a non-constant charging system. Basically, these charging systems interrogate the battery to what charge is needed and when it is needed. Conversely, an older charging system, standard alternator i.e., delivers a constant charge. The potential is that you can overcharge the AGM or gel cell bettery, causing it to explode. Now, chances are this won't happen but under the right conditions it just may. Furthermore, we produce and sell a battery charger, for example, that is specifically designed to charge these type of batteries. Because the standard battery charger replicates the charging cycle of a standard older car. You can download a copy of our catalog from our website and on page 461, you want to read about our EEBC500.
Now, alpine003, you should use a AGM or gel cell in your p-car, because dumb-*** know-it-all *******s like you deserve what you probably normally get, than tend to blame others.
Best of luck to you buddy.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Battery tending is not rocket science. If you're driving your car daily, and you're starter is dragging you need a battery, or your charging system checked. If your car is going to sit in the cold (season not weather) for weeks without being driven, then you may want to put it on a tender. Buy a proper tender and you won't have any problems. And I don't understand these things at all.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by brapp
i cannot believe after just 2.5 years my new battery seems like it doesn't want to crank over when the temperature gets colder outside here in the mid-atlantic. Any one else have the same problems?

I do not think that would be normal because i really do not want to go out and purchase a new battery.

Besides the new batteries that you can get from the dealer, any recomendations from you all on other places to purchase? Costco, sears?

walmart

Old 12-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Now, alpine003, you should use a AGM or gel cell in your p-car, because dumb-*** know-it-all *******s like you deserve what you probably normally get, than tend to blame others.
Best of luck to you buddy.
It seems like someone tried to make a sales pitch and got butt hurt because they don't realize that most recent battery tender or charger these days have smart charging circuitry in them.

I've been using Optima in various cars for over 12 years with battery chargers and tenders and no explosions. Are you trying to use the "IMS" style fear tactics by mentioning explosions and such to sell your products?

Become a sponsor if you wanna push your products here buddy.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Best wishes to you dude. Not trying to sell anything, just educate. I just happen to work for them, it's awesome that you have never had a failure. As far as being butt hurt, not really, just don't like the name calling, we should be a little more respectful. BTW, my son had his AGM battery detonate in front of him while it was in his car, he took some cornea scarring in the left eye. Wrong car, wrong battery. He was working on his 1996 M3, battery in truck, car was running he was working on new speaker installation, pulled carpet and associated parts had blanket to cushion himself. Dumb move on his part all around, however the fact remains wrong car, wrong battery. So, alpine003, please continue using your AGM or whatever, cause it will never happen. Not trying to put fear in anyone, not trying to sell to anyone, just share and educate, I thought that was the whole point of this forum. Perhaps I'm mistaken, I suppose this forum is for bragging and boasting about how cool my car is, like you.
Good day sir.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 AM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
Hroussard, here's the deal..., you should use a AGM or gel cell in your p-car, because dumb-*** know-it-all *******s like you deserve what you probably normally get,
Whoa there Noob. It would be hard to tell what your agenda is when you pop up and begin to throw a fit when someone disagrees with you. You MIGHT start by introducing yourself and your car. Then you might not be immediately mistaken for a troll.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 AM
No prob, 2002 silver C2, 80K miles, DD. Just got it about four months ago, trying to learn about the quirks of the car and share what I know. Not trying to be a troll at all, sold my 1989 BMW 635csi, to get into auto cross with my boy. I do a ton of driving everyday for my job and thought a 911 would be a blast too. Met my wife while stationed in Germany with the A.F., been married 26 years, went to the porsche museum and factory about two months ago. Other car is a Ridgeline, her DD. Son drives a 96 M3 and daughter drives a Subaru. Anything else you would like to know, would be happy to share. We have a very active porsche club so made buying my car fairly easy, tons and tons of support. If fact, my neighbor backed into my driver side door about two weeks ago, today I am changing out my driver side door with a replacement. Local club has been awesome in answering questions etc, not only that but pointed me in the right direction to score a new (2002) door for $300. Just thought this would be a great resource as well, didn't think there would be sooooo much skepticism and apprehension, was I wrong?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: battery problems-Weather???