6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   Porsche 996 Fluids (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/318754-porsche-996-fluids.html)

dinicor 09-29-2013 04:45 PM

Porsche 996 Fluids

Hi Guys:

New to the forum... And to Porsche actually. Picked up a Carrera 4 Cabriolet about a month ago. Thrilled... so far!

Question about the fluids... brake fluid, coolant, power steering.... Is there anything different about these fluids that my local parts jobber wouldn't handle as opposed to going to the dealership?

Coolant appears to be standard stuff, so does brake fluid, but perhaps the power steering is Porsche specific?

Appreciate any feedback. Looking forward to years of enjoyment with my car and on the site!!

Thanks!!

denversteve 09-30-2013 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by dinicor (Post 3947446)
Hi Guys: Coolant appears to be standard stuff, so does brake fluid, but perhaps the power steering is Porsche specific?

Appreciate any feedback. Looking forward to years of enjoyment with my car and on the site!!

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum. THERE'S NOTHING "STANDARD STUFF" ABOUT THE FLUIDS.... Don't mix coolant types in this car or you can have severe issues. Make sure the "approved Porsche fluids" are used along with excellent oil. To that end, I always have fluids changed at the dealership to avoid mishaps. I don't know what your "parts jobber" is but make sure that your "dude" is extremely knowledgeable with Porsche needs and isn't saying "this is good ..." You need proper products.

pfbz 09-30-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by dinicor (Post 3947446)
Question about the fluids... brake fluid, coolant, power steering.... Is there anything different about these fluids that my local parts jobber wouldn't handle as opposed to going to the dealership?

Agree with Steve... While the fluids aren't anything you can't source at a quality import or pro auto parts store, they definitely aren't 'generic' or the stuff you will see on the shelf at a typical consumer-oriented auto parts store.

Your owners manual should list the all the fluid specifications, but some of them have likely been superseded since your manual was printed

Coolant is definitely not your average variety. Pentosin Pentofrost SF meets the specs. My ORielly's auto parts actually stocks this stuff, but they keep it in the back out of sight.

Brake fluid is standard DOT 4, but most prefer a higher temp variety like ATE super blue.

Power steering hydraulic fluid is also not conventional. Pentosin CHF 202 meets the specs... Again, available at my local Autozone but NOT out on the shelves.

You'll find countless opinions on the best manual transmission oil and engine oil, do a search if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

PS: Pictures of your new car are customary!

mhenry24 10-01-2013 04:58 AM

Just FYI ATE Super Blue is becoming near impossible to find in stores. The government in all it's wisdom is banning blue brake fluid. So that leaves us with just ATE Yellow.

FLA996TT 10-01-2013 06:08 AM

Agree with Steve, use only Porsche Approved fluids. Look, most dealers run specials on BrakeFlushes, Oil Changes, and Radiator flushes. Mine rus them monthly at $99.99 each.

denversteve 10-01-2013 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by mhenry24 (Post 3948580)
Just FYI ATE Super Blue is becoming near impossible to find in stores. The government in all it's wisdom is banning blue brake fluid. So that leaves us with just ATE Yellow.

They aren't banning blue brake fluid. It was being manufactured in violation of federal requirements which included blue die in the brake fluid.

FLA996TT 10-01-2013 07:35 AM

And this is a perfect example of why we need a strong over reaching government, to make sure blue dye isn't added to brake fluid!hilarious

Originally Posted by denversteve (Post 3948607)
They aren't banning blue brake fluid. It was being manufactured in violation of federal requirements which included blue die in the brake fluid.

denversteve 10-01-2013 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by FLA996TT (Post 3948641)
And this is a perfect example of why we need a strong over reaching government, to make sure blue dye isn't added to brake fluid!hilarious

Or manufacturer's who can follow regulations. ;)

Okcporsche 10-01-2013 08:43 AM

My fluid/oil changes run 100, well worth avoiding problems!

dinicor 10-01-2013 10:10 AM

Thanks for the geart info guys!

Yeah, at this point I'm just looking to have the stuff on hand for possible top-ups. So that's why I was wondering if I needed to get the stuff specifically from Porsche.

Any full flushes I'll have done by the dealer or a good Porsche indy.

Pics to come...

pfbz 10-01-2013 02:36 PM

Hadn't realized Ate Super Blue was becoming difficult to get...

(aka 'super gold') I is identical except for the blue coloring.

alpine003 10-01-2013 04:57 PM

It only took the gubment over 12 years to realize there is brake fluid that is blue and spent 2.75 million dollars of our money to investigate it and put and end to its sales.

I hear they are gonna spend more than that to get Royal Purple off the shelves too.

After that, they will be targeting clear Kool Aid just so kids don't accidentally drink sugary drinks on accident.

denversteve 10-01-2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by alpine003 (Post 3949082)
... and spent 2.75 million dollars of our money to investigate it and put and end to its sales.

I would like to read the documented evidence of that. Where exactly did you read it? Please cite the source. Here is what occurred as released by the Associated Press on 8/24/13......
"...company is recalling about 488,000 units of brake fluid because its color is wrong. Each type of brake fluid has a color requirement so it can be identified. The brake fluid being recalled is blue, rather than in the range of colorless to amber that is required.

According to documents posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website, Continental Aftermarket GMBH is recalling some ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 brake fluid because it could be misidentified and improperly mixed in the braking system. Highway safety officials say that could lead to brake damage or failure."

alpine003 10-01-2013 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by denversteve (Post 3949259)
I would like to read the documented evidence of that. Where exactly did you read it? Please cite the source.

I was joking but seriously quit wasting our tax dollars on fighting oil and weed distribution. ;)

denversteve 10-01-2013 10:13 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.