996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 Hazard/Blinker Light not working. What gives??

Old 03-22-2016, 05:22 PM
MrOz is on a distinguished road
996 Hazard/Blinker Light not working. What gives??

Hi Guys,
I'e got a little issue that I think should be easy to solve... but it's not (so far). My blinker lights
and hazard lights buzz when turned on. In other words push in the hazard switch on the dash and
buzzzzzzzz.... a constant buzz. Instead of a blinking buzz. On off on off on off.

Same with my blinkers. Turn one of them on, and I get a constant buzzing... with no blinking at all.
And the buzzzzzzzz sound. If I feel the relay up in the kick panel, I feel the relay buzzing.

NOW... important side note: I have used 3 different dash hazard switches (button assembly). Also
I have 7 relays (the relay that goes up in the kick panel... to the left of your left foot). I've swapped
them all in every possible combination you can try. So, 21 attempts. With no good results, of a flashing
blinker light. Or a flashing hazard light. What else could the problem be??? Anyone?

Last edited by MrOz; 03-22-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrOz
Hi Guys,
I'e got a little issue that I think should be easy to solve... but it's not (so far). My blinker lights
and hazard lights buzz when turned on. In other words push in the hazard switch on the dash and
buzzzzzzzz.... a constant buzz. Instead of a blinking buzz. On off on off on off.

Same with my blinkers. Turn one of them on, and I get a constant buzzing... with no blinking at all.
And the buzzzzzzzz sound. If I feel the relay up in the kick panel, I feel the relay buzzing.

NOW... important side note: I have used 3 different dash hazard switches (button assembly). Also
I have 7 relays (the relay that goes up in the kick panel... to the left of your left foot). I've swapped
them all in every possible combination you can try. So, 21 attempts. With no good results, of a flashing
blinker light. Or a flashing hazard light. What else could the problem be??? Anyone?
There is a flasher unit that provides the intermittent blinking. Some makers use one for the turn signals and another one for the flashers but I suspect Porsche is using the same one for both functions.

The flasher unit is located probably somewhere under the dash. You might be able to locate it via the buzzing. You might feel it vibrate some as it buzzes.

If there are two separate flasher units the problem could be a ground problem. You'll have to look under/behind the dash for what looks like a ground strap/lug that connects to the firewall/bulkhead.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
There is a flasher unit that provides the intermittent blinking. Some makers use one for the turn signals and another one for the flashers but I suspect Porsche is using the same one for both functions.

The flasher unit is located probably somewhere under the dash. You might be able to locate it via the buzzing. You might feel it vibrate some as it buzzes.

If there are two separate flasher units the problem could be a ground problem. You'll have to look under/behind the dash for what looks like a ground strap/lug that connects to the firewall/bulkhead.

That buzzing sound is coming from the relay. I've changed that out with quite a few other relays (new, & one I have from a Boxster that's the same, that I know works). If you feel the relay it vibrates and buzzes instead of clicking (which is the "blink"). I've heard that I needed to replace my actually button switch on the dash... not just the button, but the entire switch. About $60 from Porsche. I've done that once. It worked for minutes. Then started buzzing (broke). I live semi close to LAPD (Porsche Dismantler) and bought
2 (used) dash hazard switches from them.... figuring at least on of them would work. ZIP! NADA! NOTHING!
Now I'm purchasing one more switch from my dealer today... to see if I can get it to work temporarily again. Should be showing up any minute now.

If this one does not work, it's GOTTA be something else. Has anybody else dealt with this? What was your cure?

Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure all your connections are tight going in and out. You also might wanna try Deoxit electrical contact cleaner around the connectors and behind.

If that doesn't work, try some synthetic blinker fluid as a last resort. This should resolve the issue.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:44 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 03-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrOz
That buzzing sound is coming from the relay. I've changed that out with quite a few other relays (new, & one I have from a Boxster that's the same, that I know works). If you feel the relay it vibrates and buzzes instead of clicking (which is the "blink"). I've heard that I needed to replace my actually button switch on the dash... not just the button, but the entire switch. About $60 from Porsche. I've done that once. It worked for minutes. Then started buzzing (broke). I live semi close to LAPD (Porsche Dismantler) and bought
2 (used) dash hazard switches from them.... figuring at least on of them would work. ZIP! NADA! NOTHING!
Now I'm purchasing one more switch from my dealer today... to see if I can get it to work temporarily again. Should be showing up any minute now.

If this one does not work, it's GOTTA be something else. Has anybody else dealt with this? What was your cure?
The flasher unit is not the same thing as the relay. The relay acting up can arise from a bum flasher unit.

Or the electrical connection -- probably the ground connection -- as I mentioned previously has to be suspect.

I've never had this problem only passing on my basic understanding of what's likely to be involved.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:40 PM
lomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud of
I will ask a dumb question. You don't have a bulb burnt out somewhere do you ?

Old 04-06-2016, 03:03 PM
thanks for all the help so far guys! ;o) I haven't had a chance to
get a good look again at my car since I posted this a few days ago. I'm going to try and look tomorrow I have a feeling it is going to be something VERY silly, like a ground or wire NOT hooked up..
Forgot to mention... the car is getting a 997 Techart conversion (entire car) so the headlights and front turbo LED's are getting hooked in the system. Also the rear tail lights are not connected yet. BUT... everything WAS unconnected (as it is now) and I was getting the blinker wires to flash (with test light) the dash hazards lights button also blinked properly. Then... one day the hazard button and the turn signals start to buzz.
No flashing anymore. Nothing out of the ordinary had happened to cause this.
I was simply ready (when I had spare time) to hook up the lights, and I found the blinkers were no longer working. Then it was time for me to start ordering new hazard switches and also the relay under the dash in the kick panel area. When that didn't solve the problem I turned to 6speedonline. lol
I'll give you the update hopefully tomorrow. ;o)
Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Are you using 997 conversion fenders? Keep us updated and good luck.:thumbup:

Old 04-07-2016, 08:13 AM
lomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud oflomax has much to be proud of
MrOz,

Just talking out of my backside here but a lot of times the flasher relay will just buzz if there is no or very little load on it. Try hooking up the lights and see if it still does not work. If you are using LED's you may even need to install a couple of resistors to get the load up high enough.

Marc

Old 04-08-2016, 04:58 PM
I am using the 997 style front fenders. Also went all out on the rest of that cars body.... it looks like a TechArt GT Street R cabriolet with the interior redone also.
20" SPeedArt wheels, pearl orange paint etc...
Now if I can just find some time to hook up those lights. Had the blinker wire working (with test light) a while ago... but then nothing now. Except that buzzzzzzzzz. I'll get some time here shortly.
Thanks again for keeping me posted with ideas guys!! ;o)
I really appreciate it.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:15 PM
BrazilBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
What was the Resolve?

My 99 996 c4 is doing the exact same thing