6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   Metal Crease Help? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/395850-metal-crease-help.html)

Bobwombat 08-29-2016 03:07 PM

Metal Crease Help?

Can the Forum please help a panicked owner?

I mistakenly lowered the garage door on top of my wife's 2002 996 C4 Cab as it was parked partially outside (brilliant!). And, while the two tiny lateral creases in the metal cabrio deck lid are barely perceptible, I've got to try to fix this before she figures it out; she sometimes notices these things & I've done the exact same thing on the other two family cars.

Is there any home-remedy type fix that might work in popping these two small lateral creases out? I seem to remember an old grandma tale of placing the metal in the sun & putting an ice cube over the crease. Is this easy fix fantasy?

Granted, you've got to really look hard & at a certain angle but, now that I know these slight creases are there, I won't be able to sleep too well. There's a chance nobody will notice but......

Any thoughts or help are greatly appreciated! Cheers & thanks from sunny Arizona, USA. Bob

Macster 09-02-2016 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bobwombat (Post 4554734)
Can the Forum please help a panicked owner?

I mistakenly lowered the garage door on top of my wife's 2002 996 C4 Cab as it was parked partially outside (brilliant!). And, while the two tiny lateral creases in the metal cabrio deck lid are barely perceptible, I've got to try to fix this before she figures it out; she sometimes notices these things & I've done the exact same thing on the other two family cars.

Is there any home-remedy type fix that might work in popping these two small lateral creases out? I seem to remember an old grandma tale of placing the metal in the sun & putting an ice cube over the crease. Is this easy fix fantasy?

Granted, you've got to really look hard & at a certain angle but, now that I know these slight creases are there, I won't be able to sleep too well. There's a chance nobody will notice but......

Any thoughts or help are greatly appreciated! Cheers & thanks from sunny Arizona, USA. Bob

Check with your local dealer who it uses for paintless dent removal and have the car looked at to see if this technique can be used.

A "crease" suggests the metal is stretched which in my limited experience is not addressable by a paintless dent removal process. But let a pro have a look.

jhbrennan 09-02-2016 01:57 PM

How about fixing your garage door first - they are supposed to have a safety sensor to prevent this...and this has happened on 3 cars? Your wife may try to close the garage door on you once she sees the creases.

JohnCA58 09-02-2016 05:33 PM

one of the other forums has a How to Fix using dry ice and heat gun that has worked for quite a few, don't remember the forum name, i do remember ii is run by guy name Loren.

jhbrennan 09-02-2016 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by JohnCA58 (Post 4556622)
one of the other forums has a How to Fix using dry ice and heat gun that has worked for quite a few, don't remember the forum name, i do remember ii is run by guy name Loren.

renntech.org

RngTrtl 09-07-2016 11:22 AM

for real. install the IR sensors on your garage door. 3rd times a charm.

FLA996TT 09-08-2016 06:13 AM

Try Carsmedics or your dealer.

jhbrennan 09-08-2016 06:28 AM

Since he hasn't responded in a while his wife must have figured out what he did:)

A good PDR guy works like a magician so I'd find one nearby and see if they can remove the crease.