996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Expansion tank crack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 08:39 PM
nottoshabi is on a distinguished road
Expansion tank crack

The expansion tank on my 1999 996 coupe cracked while i was driving. The hot liquid went every where. About 1/3 of the coolant spilled inside and dripped down the headers. So I have a few questions for some of you that have done this before.

1. Is there a difference between the tanks? They range in prices from $200 to $600 on pelican parts website?

2. Is brake clean safe to use to clean up the spilled coolant, is it safe for the electrical and hoses?

Also I tried starting it up today so I can drive it on blocks to be able to get the jack under it I want to take off the tire so I can clean up the headers and under the car. When I tried starting it up, it made a rattling sound and it shut off did not fully start. Is it possible for the coolant to have blocked or short circuit the plugs or injectors?

Old 08-07-2018, 05:44 PM
996_911C2_Dhru is on a distinguished road
Not sure about all the options you listed. I did however buy an OEM one from $120 before shipping. It is at Circle Porsche in Long Beach you can elect local pick-up to avoid shipping fee.
https://www.porschepartsnow.com/oem-...ir-99610615704

I just took out the evaporator fan and snorkel and wiped everything down with some mild cleaner from the top side and then again below. It will be all over your left side exhaust pipe. After watching several videos on this and freaking out over the concept of lowering the engine in order to snake it out, I returned the tank I bought to Circle Porsche and paid an Indy $400 to do the job. They also drained out all the coolant from everywhere and replaced it.

It is possible that a coil got wet from the anti-freeze. Do you have a CEL on? And if so, see if it is a misfire. Could mean a coil on that side went bad.

Did your car give signs before the tank gave out? Mine smelled for a long time and was leaking on the back side so it was hard to identify the source. You may also want to change the small hose and T-connector at the same time that comes off the bottom.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:29 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nottoshabi
The expansion tank on my 1999 996 coupe cracked while i was driving. The hot liquid went every where. About 1/3 of the coolant spilled inside and dripped down the headers. So I have a few questions for some of you that have done this before.

1. Is there a difference between the tanks? They range in prices from $200 to $600 on pelican parts website?

2. Is brake clean safe to use to clean up the spilled coolant, is it safe for the electrical and hoses?

Also I tried starting it up today so I can drive it on blocks to be able to get the jack under it I want to take off the tire so I can clean up the headers and under the car. When I tried starting it up, it made a rattling sound and it shut off did not fully start. Is it possible for the coolant to have blocked or short circuit the plugs or injectors?

If you replace the tank, save yourself a lot of heartache and buy the OEM expansion tank from Porsche. Don't go cheap on this! The rattling sound could be serious problem in the making and non-related to the expansion tank crack, but don't freak out, it could be simple. What is the color of the coolant?