996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

IMS installation problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Fronz4 is on a distinguished road
IMS installation problem

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I have a question and need some help. I have a 996 C4 that is in the shop for RMS, IMS from LN, and clutch. We got the IMS dual row and I just got a call from the shop saying he can't get the IMS installed and doesn't want to beat on it any harder. He did not buy the LN Engineering installation tool. Heated the shaft, froze the bearing, but no luck. Has anyone installed an LN IMS dual row without the LN tool? What is the trick? or is the tool the only way to go???
Thanks
John

Old 06-13-2018, 06:20 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Hey John,

Check this guy out, I watched the whole series. He's a pretty competent guy. He bought and fabricated many of the tools locally that he used to install the bearing. It wasn't without some hurdles, but he got it done. Hope this helps!

Old 06-13-2018, 02:26 PM
Fronz4 is on a distinguished road
Problem SOLVED !!! Bearing installed !!! Thank you all for your help. The IMS Pro tool kit did the job and the M96 Faultless tool was NOT needed. There was a slight burr on the slip ring groove that kept it from going in straight the first time he tried. Cleaned everything down and it went in great. Back in business. New RMS/IMS/Clutch.
As for why the "client" was researching the fix, I know the mechanic very well, and I volunteered to do a quick post when he said he had trouble getting the bearing in the first time, and since he charges me half of the other shops around, I'll help in any way I can.
Thanks again
​​​​​​​John

Old 06-13-2018, 05:57 PM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
I was also going to recommend the IMS pro tool kit. It will do the job. The M96 faultless tool is NOT needed. Remember, there is a slight burr on the slip ring groove that will keep it from going in straight. This is probably what happened the first time he tried. Clean everything down and I guarantee in will go on great and you'll be back in business. I wouldn't be hard on the mechanic. Sounds like this may be new to him. He probably only charges half of what the other shops charge, huh?