996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Common Operating Levels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:39 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TheFlapjack
Got home and idle voltage was 13.1 and when the fans both kicked to high it dropped to 13.

Had it tested and the voltage regulator is bad
Shazaam.... glad you located the culprit to the problem. That's not too terribly a hard fix. Are you going to DIY or take it to a indy?

Old 07-27-2018, 09:59 AM
TheFlapjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by b3freak
Shazaam.... glad you located the culprit to the problem. That's not too terribly a hard fix. Are you going to DIY or take it to a indy?
I will do it.

Not 100% convinced this would affect the warmer coolant temps still

Old 07-27-2018, 10:22 AM
so the voltage regulator. Which is correct?

only item I found on sunset porsche in terms of voltage regulator
And this on pelican parts.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:36 AM
That's a good question. I looked up the number for the first item (99661030800) with Porsche Parts of Atlanta and it shows a complete "distributor repair kit" and so I'm assuming it includes a few known wear parts in addition to the regulator? The other two, IMHO, are the basically the same part with Porsche rebranding it as OEM. That's my opinion. But I wouldn't know if there is something unique between the two parts.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:41 AM

#16 is the kit (99661030800).

Old 07-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by b3freak
That's a good question. I looked up the number for the first item (99661030800) with Porsche Parts of Atlanta and it shows a complete "distributor repair kit" and so I'm assuming it includes a few known wear parts in addition to the regulator? The other two, IMHO, are the basically the same part with Porsche rebranding it as OEM. That's my opinion. But I wouldn't know if there is something unique between the two parts.
it also looks like one is at the battery (sunset) and the other at the alternator (pelican).

Old 07-28-2018, 10:36 PM
Installed the new voltage regulator. So far, the voltage is back up. Will see tomorrow how the oil pressure and coolant temps respond.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:56 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you do the install yourself? If so, any pics? Just planning ahead. My '99 has 84K.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Slik560
Did you do the install yourself? If so, any pics? Just planning ahead. My '99 has 84K.
I didn't take any pics. Rather easy and straightforward. You can use the tech article from pelicanparts.com alternator replacement. When you pull the alternator out, there are 2 nuts (13mm and 15mm) and a screw to take off. Under that 3 Phillips screws. Pop of the regulator, screw in the new one, nuts and screw back in, alternator back in.

be careful of the vacuum lines that are on the electric switch over. Has a couple lines attached and are brittle. One runs directly above the alternator toward front of car. Can take a pic later and point it out.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:48 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks much

Old 07-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Jglowien is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TheFlapjack
I am somewhat newer to the 996 scene, being that I only have a couple thousand miles under the belt.

What are the common operating levels for oil pressure, temp, coolant temp, etc.

Maybe it is just do to the extreme Vegas heat, but the last couple days, the car doesn't seem to be running as it should. Last 2 days, especially on the way home (5pm and 110-113º outside), the coolant temp seemed to be rising. The oil pressure seems a bit low. Battery voltage looks ok, but the meter I have on my phone plugged in is showing 12.5V, which would be low. Idle is sitting at 750 RPM.

Here is a where everything is sitting as I got to work this morning. Again, coolant temps look high, oil pressure looks low.

2000 911 C2 Cab w/ manual transmission. As you can see, just shy of 97k miles.

Things I know have been done recently:
  • New battery - 3 weeks ago
  • Oil/Filter Change - Mobile1 0W-40 Syntheic - last night - this was rather dirty, but I didn't see any metal or foreign pieces in the filter
  • Transmission oil drained and filled - last night
What would cause the low voltage? Only accessories plugged in are Valentine 1 and my cell phone
What to look for with the cooling system? Level looks fine. I plan on flushing this over the weekend as I don't know when it was done last.
Oil pressure - I see the sending units are a common failure, along with the pressure relief valve. Could something with the low voltage and higher temps be causing this too?

Ideas to look into tonight, this weekend, etc...

Thanks!
I purchased my 2001 Carrera Cabriolet back in Feb 2018 and have been chatting back and forth with befreak and others on my cooling system issues, somewhat similar to yours. Not charging issues, just coolant loss and excess coolant temp readings (probably above 220 degrees), unusual up here in Connecticut. Keeping the engine revs about 3,000 in stop and go traffic seems to keep the engine temp in between the 8 and 0 in the 180 digits, but that is very impractical driving into NYC. Our temps usually don't get much higher than mid-90s on a day we call sweltering. Until recently, I saw no physical evidence of coolant loss in the form of dripping, just disappearing at the rate of 1/2 oz per mile. However my expansion tank may have some cracks now.

What I noticed in your dash pix was the red box just northeast of the zero in the 250 digits on the water temp gauge. Mine comes on when I am low on coolant, although the owners manual may state that it goes on for other reasons. I am planning to replace the pump, thermostat and expansion tank in a week or so.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Firstorbit84 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard, read, and experienced that coolant temps over 200, up to about 215 in high heat are normal for these cars. The issue is that in most cars the coolant gauge is a glorified dummy light so folks don't get alarmed when it moves. It reads closer to true temp in the Porsche. Mine always sits right on the "0" in 180 when it's warmed up and I'm not driving too hard. I've seen it get past the 0 and up to the next tick mark (which i think is 215) with no issues when in stop and go traffic in the heat with the AC or during spirited driving.

I'd definitely start with removing the bumper to clean the radiators, and also manually raising the rear wing when in hot situations.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Firstorbit84
I'd definitely start with removing the bumper to clean the radiators, and also manually raising the rear wing when in hot situations.
Good advice! Here's a video to help if the OP hasn't done it before.

and, for cleaning the rads...

All the best!!!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:38 AM
168Sierra is on a distinguished road
​​​​​I have replaced the water pump and thermostat with a LN llow temp thermostat on both my 2001 and 2003 996 c2s. It is not a difficult job and there are numerous you tube videos and the pelican parts tech attic less to provide info. I also installed the center radiator kits in both vehicles. If you drain the coolant for the water pump replacement it is the perfect time to install the additional radiator (the turbos,tiptronics and 4wd cars all have the 3rd radiator as standard). I have found the cars do not get above the 8 in 180 with the extra radiators even driving up a mountain in the summer. I am in SE TN and usual temp in the summer is mid 90s.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:16 AM
Oggie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 168Sierra
​​​​​I have replaced the water pump and thermostat with a LN llow temp thermostat on both my 2001 and 2003 996 c2s.
Can I ask why you changed the regulator for a low temp unit? What are you trying to achieve? This doesn't improve cooling, no matter what you might have read. See here for an explanation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Common Operating Levels