996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Bought an 02 and need some direction- headlight silver thing, interior, switches etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Red5 is on a distinguished road
Bought an 02 and need some direction- headlight silver thing, interior, switches etc

Just bought an 02 cab 6 speed. Here are my issues listed numerically. If you can help please do.

1. Top worked fine when it was dry. After washing the car the top doesn't want to go all the way down.
2. The passenger side seat is stuck all the way forward. The switch is missing that allows it to go back an forth. If I could simpy move it all the way back and leave it that would work. Just need to know how.
3. The stereo was asking for a code. I guessed a few times and now it says "wait".
4. There is a small plastic arm that connected to the front control arm. It appears to have broken off, no idea what this is for.
5. The key likes to mess with me. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it won't turn.
6. There is an arm under the steering wheel. It allows the steering wheel to come out towards me, but it does not allow for tilting of the wheel. Is this just how it is made?
7. The AC doesn't blow cold air, it activates the compressor but no cold air. Thinking this may just need a re charge.
8. There appears to be small button on the inside door handle, what does this operate?
9. Going to change oil tomorrow, what do you recommend?
10. Does the tail go up and down automatically? Is there a switch that makes it do so?
11. The door skin on the drivers side door appears to have been over exposed to the sun and made it curl up. Any fix for this?
12. There is another arm that is below the arm that controls the wipers, this one appears to be broke but I am not sure. What does it do?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 PM
And the silver thing on the headlight. What does this do? It has come off and I have it in the glove box. Do I just glue it back on?

Old 08-08-2018, 12:02 AM
Oggie is on a distinguished road
I have just bought a 2002, too. I can answer some of your questions...

4. There is a small plastic arm that connected to the front control arm. It appears to have broken off, no idea what this is for. I believe this is for self-leveling of the Litronics headlights.
5. The key likes to mess with me. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it won't turn. I removed the ignition barrel on my Boxster, lubricated it, then reinstalled (horrible job). it has worked fine ever since. Otherwise, the switch may need replacing (common wear issue).
6. There is an arm under the steering wheel. It allows the steering wheel to come out towards me, but it does not allow for tilting of the wheel. Is this just how it is made? No tilt adjustment available, just reach - as designed.

10. Does the tail go up and down automatically? Yes. Is there a switch that makes it do so? Manual switch to raise the wing is on the kick panel near the fuse box.

12. There is another arm that is below the arm that controls the wipers, this one appears to be broke but I am not sure. What does it do? The right side lower stalk is the cruise control stalk, the left is the on-board computer control stalk.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:47 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Red5
And the silver thing on the headlight. What does this do? It has come off and I have it in the glove box. Do I just glue it back on?

The silver chrome cover on the headlights is the cover for the headlight washer. You'll need to replace the whole nozzle. Here is a video to help...

Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 AM
Just bought an 02 cab 6 speed. Here are my issues listed numerically. If you can help please do.
1. Top worked fine when it was dry. After washing the car the top doesn't want to go all the way down.
I used to own cabriolet and the top mechanism is known to be finicky and prone to NOT drain water out. Be careful, water ingress can get into the cabin and kill the alarm/immobilizer module that's located under the seat. I would let the car dry out completely before taking the next step. Have you tried the alternate way of closing the top? i.e. by inserting the key in the door and rotating it and hold.

2. The passenger side seat is stuck all the way forward. The switch is missing that allows it to go back an forth. If I could simpy move it all the way back and leave it that would work. Just need to know how.

Motor could be burned up. Before doing anything, check fuses. Maybe replace the switch first? But you could always remove the seat, disconnect the motor assembly and move it back manually. Tough job.

3. The stereo was asking for a code. I guessed a few times and now it says "wait".

Remove the radio from the dash. Write down the serial number and model number. And then, post to this site...
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...-request-here/

4. There is a small plastic arm that connected to the front control arm. It appears to have broken off, no idea what this is for.
Are you talking about the headlight washer? If so, see my other post on this thread.

5. The key likes to mess with me. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it won't turn.

Welcome to Porsche 996 ownership! lol
6. There is an arm under the steering wheel. It allows the steering wheel to come out towards me, but it does not allow for tilting of the wheel. Is this just how it is made?

Yep, telescopic steering adjustment, but no tilt. Normal.

7. The AC doesn't blow cold air, it activates the compressor but no cold air. Thinking this may just need a re charge.
Yep, time for your AC system to be services for leaks.

8. There appears to be small button on the inside door handle, what does this operate?
I think you're referring to the small LED courtesy light. Should be one pointing down and one pointing towards the ignition switch

Joe Gibbs DT40

10. Does the tail go up and down automatically? Is there a switch that makes it do so?
Yes, it should go up automatically at 75 mph and retract at 37 mph. And yes, there is a button to manual control it. Located on the fuse box.
11. The door skin on the drivers side door appears to have been over exposed to the sun and made it curl up. Any fix for this?
It appears that you have the full-leather option. That's the Savannah Beige color leather pealing back. You could have a interior/leather upholstery shop repair it or you'll have to replace the entire panel which will be crazy expensive from Porsche since you have the leather wrapped panel.

12. There is another arm that is below the arm that controls the wipers, this one appears to be broke but I am not sure. What does it do?
Cruise control

Good luck on the repairs!

Old 08-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by b3freak
I used to own cabriolet and the top mechanism is known to be finicky and prone to NOT drain water out. Be careful, water ingress can get into the cabin and kill the alarm/immobilizer module that's located under the seat. I would let the car dry out completely before taking the next step. Have you tried the alternate way of closing the top? i.e. by inserting the key in the door and rotating it and hold.

Motor could be burned up. Before doing anything, check fuses. Maybe replace the switch first? But you could always remove the seat, disconnect the motor assembly and move it back manually. Tough job.

Remove the radio from the dash. Write down the serial number and model number. And then, post to this site...
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...-request-here/

Are you talking about the headlight washer? If so, see my other post on this thread.

Welcome to Porsche 996 ownership! lol

Yep, telescopic steering adjustment, but no tilt. Normal.

Yep, time for your AC system to be services for leaks.

I think you're referring to the small LED courtesy light. Should be one pointing down and one pointing towards the ignition switch

Joe Gibbs DT40

Yes, it should go up automatically at 75 mph and retract at 37 mph. And yes, there is a button to manual control it. Located on the fuse box.
It appears that you have the full-leather option. That's the Savannah Beige color leather pealing back. You could have a interior/leather upholstery shop repair it or you'll have to replace the entire panel which will be crazy expensive from Porsche since you have the leather wrapped panel.

Cruise control

Good luck on the repairs!
Hey man, THANKS! Guys like you are worth their weight in gold.

Think I should mess with this stock head unit or is it time to upgrade the sound system? If so, what unit seems to work best? FYI: Perhaps I should stay stock as I don't want to have to lock the doors on this (or any convertible) car.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:12 AM
Hey man, THANKS! Guys like you are worth their weight in gold.

Think I should mess with this stock head unit or is it time to upgrade the sound system? If so, what unit seems to work best? FYI: Perhaps I should stay stock as I don't want to have to lock the doors on this (or any convertible) car.
I assume this is a CDR-220 Porsche radio? Does it have the amp in the frunk? Bose? I wouldn't replace it unless you have a need for better sound. You may want to consider replacing the speakers. Porsche sells replacement HAES speakers for about $50 each. (see attached image) That's really not bad. Also, if you have the factory amp, please note that it drives the door speakers at 2 ohm nominal. If you try to replace them with aftermarket 4 ohm speakers, you'll get crappy sound especially in the bass range.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 08-08-2018 at 08:14 AM.