6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   AMSOIL vs Mobile 1 an empirical observation. Wondering if it will work well for my911 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/423260-amsoil-vs-mobile-1-empirical-observation-wondering-if-will-work-well-my911.html)

Red5 08-08-2018 03:38 PM

AMSOIL vs Mobile 1 an empirical observation. Wondering if it will work well for my911

My other Porsche is a 2006 Cayenne Twin Turbo S model. 520 HP stock. Mine also has a full length header system and a tune. When I first got this truck I was burning quite a bit of oil. Seemed like I had to ad a quart of mobile one every few hundred miles. Not smoking or anything like that. The truck drove Great. But it was burning through this Mobile 1 0-40 like nothing else.

Did some research and switched over to Amsoil (no, I'm not a dealer). Jus tlike that my cayenne quit burning oil. Went from adding a quart every few hundred miles to adding a quart every few Thousand miles. The truck still ran great. 0W-40.

Now I have a 2002 996 and I want to change the oil. I'm very concerned about the IMS bearing. And I'm wondering if the Mobile one burning up the way it was could possible be a good thing for these motors? Or is amsoil just a much better oil? Not sure why one would burn up and the other not but I's like to learn more.

Thoughts?

GCBC 08-08-2018 05:12 PM

likely has seal swellers in it. all things equal id rather have the car burn and have better lubricity and more linear life cycle than one thats goal is to swell seals to help with consumption.

I run 0-40 euro car in absolutely everything.

Red5 08-08-2018 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by GCBC (Post 4732014)
likely has seal swellers in it. all things equal id rather have the car burn and have better lubricity and more linear life cycle than one thats goal is to swell seals to help with consumption.

I run 0-40 euro car in absolutely everything.

Sound logic.

Thoughts on using Mobile One 10w30? I can buy it right at costco. Like 6.87/quart.

Macster 08-09-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Red5 (Post 4732017)
Sound logic.

Thoughts on using Mobile One 10w30? I can buy it right at costco. Like 6.87/quart.

FWIW no 10w-30 oil is an approved oil for Porsche sports cars. I would strongly advise you to *not* use this oil. (There have been a few cases of owners who switched to using a 5w-30/10w-30 oil reporting the engine manifesting signs it was not happy with the oil.)

There are a number of 0w-40, 5w-40, even one 5w-50 oil approved for use in your car's engine.

Really 0w-40 is the best choice. Has the "0w" for cold climes. Porsche says for cold weather, -25C or colder, to use 0w-40. The "40" is quite capable of handling the heat. Often drove my Porsche cars in 100F+ ambient temperatures for hours on end and at in a few cases rather elevated speeds with nary a sign the oil was not up to the demands.

If you live in an area with a very mild climate where ambient temperatures do not get very low -- like where I live it seldom gets below freezing and then not by much and never stays that cold for very long -- but it does get plenty hot -- triple digit temperature in the summer (like today it is 100F) -- Mobil 1 5w-50 (not a typo for 15w-50!) is a good oil. Several years ago I switched from 0w-40 to 5w-50 in both my 2002 Boxster and 2003 996 Turbo.

Have to admit I could not tell the difference between the 2 oils in either car's engine. With the Turbo the hot idle oil pressure was the same with 0w-40 and 5w-50 oil and I noticed no change in oil consumption (which was not severe by any stretch of the imagination). Even the noise level of the engines was unaffected. Oh, sure as with 0w-40 the same with 5w-50 a fresh oil change really quieted the engine but the engines got noisy as the miles on the oil got close to 5K miles. (Which to me was a sign that 5K miles was about as many miles I wanted to run the oil.)

ZuffenZeus 08-10-2018 05:59 AM

I agree with Macster, don't screw around with wrong oil viscosities on these cars. Make sure you at least purchase an approved oil by Porsche or that is throughly tested by the Porsche community (i.e. JoeGibbs DT40). IMHO

Red5 08-10-2018 08:06 AM

Thanks guys. Just bought two cases of Mobile 1 0w40.