996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Static911 is on a distinguished road
Brake Squeal

My car is making ridiculous amount of brake squeal noise! It's not like a small brake squeal noise; this thing is so loud, I can hear it with my windows and music turned up! The dealership says I still have 50% of the OE brake pads left. They say this problem is normal. How would I fix this problem? Do I need to change the brake pads and the problem will go away?

Old 06-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Dev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really nice
I'm experiencing the same thing on my '99. It gets alot steadier and louder when the brakes are warm and I too have life on them.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:40 AM
CadenceX has a spectacular aura aboutCadenceX has a spectacular aura about
brake dust? clean em/car wash/roll back on a hill and slam on brakes.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:33 AM
viper501 is on a distinguished road
Might try re-bedding the brakes. You probably have some buildup on the pad.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:33 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Take the car up to 100 and then slam on the brakes at an exit and take the car to 0 as quickly as possible. No more brake squeal.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Up On 3 Racing is on a distinguished road
More then likely your rotors are simply glazed over. Pull your rotors and have them turned for $10 at your local auto parts store. At that point you might as well slightly sand off any glazing on the pads. Finally the back of your pads have what are called brake dampners. The dampners pop right into the caliper pistons. Those dampners have what look like small prongs that vibrate vigorously and can cause a squeal. An easy fix is to clean the brakes with brake clean, pull the pads and use a brake pad lubricant on the dampners. By doing these three things I garuntee you will no longer be screaching to a stop. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:19 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
It's also possible that there is a rock stuck in the rotor vents. If the squealing happends without applying the brake, you should do some freeway to spin it out. Sometimes a couple of miles takes care of it. Sometimes it is caught in there.

Glazed rotors will squeal only when you apply the brakes. Can cross drilled rotors be safely lathed? I know it can be done but it's not really recommend it unless the guy cutting the rotor is experienced. If the wrong cutting bit is used or if angle of the bit is off, you'll need a new rotor.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:38 PM
jungzilla is on a distinguished road
The same thing was happenig to me but it wasn't from the brake, well not the pads anyways. On the brake there is a metal backing. That backing some how warped and was rubbing against the rotors. so everytime I moved it would squeal and real loud!!!. I jacked the car up and then used a weed removal tool to bend it back and then there was no sound. anyways it drove me crazy till i found out exactly what it was.
good luck

Old 06-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Dev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really nice
Thanks, yea it definately happens when I apply the brake medium pressure only. You serious about jamming the brakes on to clean any glazing?

Old 06-07-2006, 10:41 PM
San Diego Porschophile
drpaulmarsh is on a distinguished road
Don't turn the rotors! Porsche dosn't reccomend it, EVER...

Paul

Old 06-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dev911
Thanks, yea it definately happens when I apply the brake medium pressure only. You serious about jamming the brakes on to clean any glazing?
Yes, the brakes are designed to be used heavily. If light braking is being done over a period of time they will develop a glaze causing the squeal. Easiest way to get rid of it is to apply full brake pressure from 60-0 a couple times.

Tip: Do this just before washing the car 'cause it will significantly increase the amount of brake dust on your wheels.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Up On 3 Racing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drpaulmarsh
Don't turn the rotors! Porsche dosn't reccomend it, EVER...

Paul
You have to ask yourself. Why doesn't my Porsche dealer recommend it? The truth is they want you to spend the money and buy new rotors and pads. When in reality the Porsche rotor itself is actually stamped with its minimum requirement. If the rotor still meets that requirement after turning it, then you're with in Porsche specs.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by viper501
Might try re-bedding the brakes. You probably have some buildup on the pad.
I hope you're not saying these two things have anything to do with each other..... Unless if you believe that you gain 10 hp everytime you wash the car and 5hp when you empty the ash-tray.....

__________________________________________________ _________

The 100+ slam doesn't work when you have glaze, I know!

Going backwards and slamming doesn't work either.

Up on 3 has the only good bit of information I've read on this post.....

-Eli

Old 06-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Static911 is on a distinguished road
I found washing the wheels and tires helps get rid of the squeal, temporarily.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
viper501 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FastForwardwheels
I hope you're not saying these two things have anything to do with each other..... Unless if you believe that you gain 10 hp everytime you wash the car and 5hp when you empty the ash-tray.....

The 100+ slam doesn't work when you have glaze, I know!

Going backwards and slamming doesn't work either.

Up on 3 has the only good bit of information I've read on this post.....

-Eli
A very productive post yourself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal