996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

what is the best bang for buck weight reduction?

Old 08-23-2006, 02:04 AM
schnazzy is on a distinguished road
what is the best bang for buck weight reduction?

If I wanted to reduce the weight 75-200lbs (max) what are some the best (least expensive) ways to do it while maintaining driveability (keep the AC and stereo etc). Also not looking for changes I cannot reverse later if I sell it.

2003 996 C2:
Seats? How much do the factory seats weigh? (power recline but manual slider)
Rims? How much do the factory 5 star 18" factory rims weigh?
Hood? How much does the factory hood weigh? (Is this even benificial as it reduces the weight of the front even more?)

Old 08-23-2006, 05:00 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
I think GT3 seats along with rear seats remove will be a good start. Light weight wheels, mufflers bypass, CF hood, light weight battery ....

Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 AM
ZX9RCAM is on a distinguished road
I know I could personally lose 50#s & it would not hurt me.

Would not cost me a dime....

Old 08-23-2006, 07:39 AM
AudiOn19s is on a distinguished road
Bang for the Buck I'd say:

1) Removal of back seats and spare tire / tools
2) Lightweight battery
3) Muffler Bypass pipes

All of those I'd consider to be relatively low cost...maybe throw a CF hood in there but by the time you buy one then paint and install you're probably looking at a good chunk of change.

If you've already got 02 5-spokes you're going to spend ALOT of money on wheels that will be only slightly lighter.

Seats are another great way to reduce weight but not exactly what I'd consider cheap.

I think that I saw another thread somewhere that someone was making RS type door pannels for the 996 which would shed a few more pounds but likely do away with your door speakers if you have them.

Andy

Old 08-23-2006, 10:13 AM
John Romano is on a distinguished road
As the great Smokey Unick once said, "don't look for one place to lose 100 pounds, look for 1600 places to lose an ounce."

Old 08-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah I could stand to loose a few pounds too but I am too lazy so I'd rather put take off few pounds from the car.

Does anyone know the weight of the factory seats (front/rear), rims, hood, battery, and muffler (cat back exhaust)? I can't seem to find relatively exact (close) weights for these and with all the p-car owners and racers I find this hard to believe. Obviously I can take them out myself and weigh them but I was hoping someone already has or knows of a good resource that gives good information.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:42 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Loosing weight in the right areas is where it is at.
Seats
Wheels
Removal of back seats
These alone could save you 100lbs.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:52 AM
ZX9RCAM is on a distinguished road
Of course there is the handling improvements with weight reduction, but
I heard somewhere that the reduction of 100#s is the same as adding
like 9hp......is this correct?

Old 08-23-2006, 12:30 PM
So I am no expert in all that are lb's and hp but there is an interpretation that 10lb is worth 1hp for normal weight and 5lb of unsprung (wheels etc) weight is worth 1hp. So I really can't say anything about unsprung except loose as much as possible but for normal (sprung) weight the 10:1 ratio is totally dependant upon the car, where the weight is, and what its current power to weight ratio is.

Example: A truck that weights 6,000 lb and is 350 hp is reduced to 5990 is not nearly as good as adding 10hp to it base on the power to weight ratio. Dropping 10lb betters the lb/hp by .0286lb per hp but increasing the HP instead (to 351hp) betters the lb/hp by .0488lb per hp.

Example: p-car (2950lb 2003 996 with 315hp). Reducing by 10lb is worth .0247lb per hp but increasing the HP by 1 puts you at .0295 which is practiaclly the same.

If you do the math you will find that 9:1 is an excellent number for 996's. for a 2950lb 315hp 996 9.3354:1 is a bit more retentive.

Note that as you reduce weight and increase hp you get into a law of diminishing returns on hp. A 2700lb car with 500hp or 501hp is the same (or mathmatically close enough) and droping weight is better for this car. Every 5.5lb is worth 1HP.

Power to weight ratio is not everything but if you are not even close (to your competition) then there is not much chance. (other factors... gearing, unsprung weight, type of race, traction (4wheel/2 wheel), driver, transmission, etc)

Old 08-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
I might have missed a post where you are turning your car into a track car, if so, my apologies.

I reduced the weight of my car with lightweight wheels (10lbs total), lighter rear deck (10lbs at most), and muffler bypass (net 40lbs)...I didn't think my car was any zippier.

I am not sure all the effort and money you'd spend on the car by putting it on a "diet" would even benefit a daily driver. Hell, I didn't even notice it. I'd rather spend the money and either make the car look good or get some drivng lessons. Simply my opinion.

GT3 seats look good, but are uncomfortable and limit your posture and make for an uncomfortable long drive.

You can do those tiny little batteries but they are PITA if you ask me.

Remove your backseats, that is some savings....I think around 20lbs.

Take your AC out completely.

CF doors and hood

Remove all leather panels from the inside of the car.

Remove all plastic and such from the front bonet area.

Lightweight flywheel

Change out your glass windshield for Lexan or something close.

Luis is the God when it comes to this procedure...I'm not sure if he is around with his 3.8l beast anymore. He could give you a few additional recommendations.

Some are extreme but I definitely encourage you to consider the use of your car before hand. The sky is the limit...and the modding is addicting. You've been warned... Best of luck!

Old 08-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Banned
skibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud of
Switching from stock seats to gt3 seats ---- 55 lbs
Removal of rear seats ---------------------- 8 lbs
removal of spare and jack ------------------ 20 lbs
new headers ------------------------------- 8 lbs
new mufflers ------------------------------- 8 lbs

The goal would be to get weight off the back of the car. Taking weight out of the front would make the car oversteer even more than it wants to now.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Good info everyone, thanks.

Not going to track it (as the primary thing) and want the AC (car is all black).

I am under the impression that the stock rims are about 29-31lb each and I could get Volk or Rennworx 18" at about 18lb that about a 50lb savings. It isn't a cheap upgrade though. With Skibum's specific items, thats about 150.

I'll have to check out the comfort of the GT3 seats, I am used to Sparco Milano's so maybe I'll compare them.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:44 AM
syaero is on a distinguished road
Another weight reduction option: Remove all sound deadening materials.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:26 PM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
best bank for the buck would be to remove the mufflers and go with pep boys muffler bypass pipes. actually, you can get the pipes from auto zone, kragen, pep boys etc... they aren't pretty but you will lose ~50 lbs. for ~20$. i picked up a pair for track days and painted them black with high temp paint.

if you have the oem battery you can substiture for a lightweight dry cell from odysseybatteries.com ~125$. you can lose 25lbs if you go for the general use battery or you can lose another 10lbs from that if you go for the lightweight battery. if you have major audio in you car, however, the lightweight version won't have enough juice.

you can remove the 5 mph impact absorbers front the front and rear... 30~40 lbs reduction for free. CAUTION, do at your own risk... not sure what kind of insurance implications may arise. i wouldn't do it to a daily driver. IIRC, the porsche cup cars don't use them.

rear seats. -20lbs... free

Last edited by karlooz; 08-24-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned
skibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud of
I find the gt3 seats very comfortable and have no problems with a 2 hour drive in them. It all depends on your body size. I am 5'10" 145 lbs.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what is the best bang for buck weight reduction?