996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help with a noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:29 PM
RobbC will become famous soon enoughRobbC will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Help with a noise

Hi all,

It's been a while.

I'm trying to figure out what this noise is before taking into the shop. Please let me know what you think it may be. IMS/RMS replaced at 96K miles. Currently at 106K.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
If you only hear the noise when the transmission is engaged and the engine is supplying torque to the transmission/diff very likely it is transmission/diff related.

Long shot but I assume the tire treads do not manifest any signs of severe misalignment? No feathering/cupping of the tread blocks?

Since you are taking it to the shop is it necessary to know before hand what the source of the noise is? Your job is to tell the tech how to reproduce the noise so during a road test he can produce the noise and make his diagnosis.

As a general rule, when the car (engine, drivetrain) is making noise the less engine run time, the less use the car receives the better. The goal is to with as little engine run time, road test time, as possible make the diagnosis and then proceed to fixing what's wrong.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.