6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   Has anyone bought an extended warranty from Continental Warranty or one underwritten (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/75671-has-anyone-bought-extended-warranty-continental-warranty-one-underwritten.html)

CoreyNJ 03-07-2007 01:25 AM

Has anyone bought an extended warranty from Continental Warranty or one underwritten

by great american insurance company....

While I'm still under factory warranty I can get a plan that supposed to cover everything including all ABS and electric motors except wear items like clutch and brake pads for an extra 72 months and upto 100,000 miles and is transferable. That would mean my car is under warranty till 2013 or something. It's a little over 3500 bucks... Since the car is paid for it's not a ton of money to me if I keep my 2003.

Figured even if I sell the car, the warranty goes with it.

What do you guys think?

porschenut911 03-07-2007 01:29 AM

I say if nothing is wrong with it and you maintain it well, you probably don't need this additional warranty.

tweety 03-07-2007 08:55 AM

I bought my policy from them. Cheaper than the dealer since you are buying from the same people that the dealers buy from.
I bought it after the local dealer told me that they had no issue with working with them.
Freddom Plus New Car plan is what I got. 6yr/100 $100 ded/visit not per part like some plans.
This plan covers all the same stuff that the 4/50 standard does on the cars now except the emissions which is still under coverage from Porsche, 8/80.
My plan does NOT cover emissions, stereo, trim, tires, brakes, shocks, struts.
It will cover all electronics like what is in the brake system, RMS leaks, water pump, CV, internal lubricated areas, and many other pieces.
Most important was that they cover 'named component' pieces. By that I mean that they replace pieces with new OEM parts and not rebuilt pieces.
They cover 100% parts and 100% labor.
There is also a Roadside assistance that is similar to that on most new cars now.
It is listed as a class #7 car.
Anything not used is pro-rated and returned. The policy can follow the car if the next owner wants it.

The key is that you need to buy this before you reach inside of your last 30 days on factory coverage or 1,000 miles on the clock.

Similar coverage through my credit union would have been over 5 grand and another dealer quoted me near 5 grand for less coverage.

I read a lot about Warranty Direct as well and they are close if not nearly the same as with Continental.

If you look up Great American Insurance on the web and go to their site, you will find the link to their Lease/Warranty section. Also, I looked them up on NYSE to see what their holdings were and on BBB as well. I didn't find much to even think twice about. Not small time people.

CoreyNJ 03-07-2007 09:17 AM

Have you made any claims with them yet?

tweety 03-07-2007 09:33 AM

No claims yet. Just bought this about 2-3 weeks back. My factory coverage runs out this month.