996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Aftermarket exhaust gives you extra horsepower?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DimNSlow
02-04 mufflers won't fit in 99-01 cars though would they? 3.6L vs. 3.4L...
the 3.6 will fit the 3.4 but not the other way around, its more of the bumper tip opening thats the problem...

Old 03-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
is no.1 a 3.4 can? if its a 3.6 then no.1 and no.2 is the same result... you already got the intake and the flash why not get the aftermarket and keep your cans if you want to go back to stock you can. Doing all 3 Aftermarket exhaust is so much lighter... remember if you loose 120lbs you gain 17hp!!!

Doing all 3 just make the car breath so much better the response will be better and it WILL feel faster, thats really the key cause you might not feel 20hp on the butt dyno but with better response, this you can feel. Combine this to a light weight flywheel and you have a different animal!!!

Last edited by Redridge; 03-13-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:35 PM
RODNEY996 is on a distinguished road
excuse me .. but what do you mean by "hack"

Old 03-13-2007, 08:34 PM
jkb
jkb is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Redridge
is no.1 a 3.4 can? if its a 3.6 then no.1 and no.2 is the same result... you already got the intake and the flash why not get the aftermarket and keep your cans if you want to go back to stock you can.
my car is 3.6 and i'd do a hack on 3.6 cans.

Doing all 3 Aftermarket exhaust is so much lighter... remember if you loose 120lbs you gain 17hp!!!
120lb eq 17hp??? are you serious??? holly ****! i actually started working out last week. i am currently 270lb and two years ago i was 220lb. two years of been lazy gave me 50lb. i am now on a quest to loose it. extra HP is a really good motivation

Doing all 3 just make the car breath so much better the response will be better and it WILL feel faster, thats really the key cause you might not feel 20hp on the butt dyno but with better response, this you can feel. Combine this to a light weight flywheel and you have a different animal!!!
well... the nice thing about PSE hack is that its really cheap and mostly a DIY hack (except for welding).

would an aftermarket exhaust really save 120lb???

Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 PM
exhaust save 120lbs....no, I was just trying to make a point. you'll prob save 30lb though, so thats 3-4 hp right there something a dyno cant tell you or can it? hmmm good question?

Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jkb
hey alex, has anybody dyno'ed suncoast headers before? does suncoast simply transfer torque from lower band to upper band or does it add some torque throughout the full band?

should i just do suncoast headers for torque and PSE hack for sound and cheapness?
hey jay... absolutely. A lot of folks have. We did it on our own 99 C2 back in the day.. It had a flash an intake which gave us 23 and with the headers we got 31... Torque went up by 6.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 PM
jkb
Originally Posted by sharkster
hey jay... absolutely. A lot of folks have. We did it on our own 99 C2 back in the day.. It had a flash an intake which gave us 23 and with the headers we got 31... Torque went up by 6.
jan, yan, john... jay is definately the first one but i like jay, so its ok.

did torque went up by 6 in the upper band only (only say 4-5K rpm?) or throughou the rpm band? also, do you know if 3.6L would also get some torque or was it only 3.4 which could get 6? thx...

Old 03-15-2007, 02:22 PM
NIKAS is on a distinguished road
Aftermarket exhaust can enhance your overall Porsche 911 driving experience. Since a young lad, I have always loved the music of the boxer flat 6 engine. The early 996s were over-muffled for Swiss noise laws and consumers complained...the problem was corrected in later model years, but tuning that early 996 music to your own taste can really make you happier. I selected Fabspeed Maxflo and am very happy with it - about 6000 miles on it so far.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Banned
DimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura aboutDimNSlow has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by NIKAS
Aftermarket exhaust can enhance your overall Porsche 911 driving experience. Since a young lad, I have always loved the music of the boxer flat 6 engine. The early 996s were over-muffled for Swiss noise laws and consumers complained...the problem was corrected in later model years, but tuning that early 996 music to your own taste can really make you happier. I selected Fabspeed Maxflo and am very happy with it - about 6000 miles on it so far.
Definitely agree. I remember as a teenager staring at the 993 and 993 TT as they drive buy and feelin' that rumble, day dreaming about how great that will be when I finally get to drive one.

When I finally got my 996, turned on the car, the exhaust sounded more like an Honda Accord than a 993, I was obviously dissappointed... the aftermarket mufflers definitely cured that.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I did my performance mods in stages, and can attest to how the car drove/ felt after each stage. I don't really put lot of weight into Dyno ratings though, since they are inconsistent run to run- by more so than any performance mod delta. My reply is based on feel, and I feel that counts.

So:
-My Fabspeed exhaust alone didn't add much more than amazing, I love it, can't wait to hear more, thank you Fabspeed, sound
-Orton Performance Headers added a LOT of low-end torque that you can truly feel (2x as long as stock, equal length)
-Orton ECU pulled it all together for a blast at any RPM, and I mean amazing difference!

Botton line is that it's not just one piece (one alone) it's how they work together. Get a top tuner like Neil Orton, and write the check. Because doing one thing impacts another, and understanding their interaction is what separates a Neil Orton Porsche from an also ran Porsche in my rear view mirror.

But to answer your question, an exhaust alone won't add much more than sound. My $.02.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:44 AM
jkb
hmm... i never heard of Neil Orton and his work. do you know how their ECU is different from GIAC one?

thanks...

Originally Posted by Cattman
I did my performance mods in stages, and can attest to how the car drove/ felt after each stage. I don't really put lot of weight into Dyno ratings though, since they are inconsistent run to run- by more so than any performance mod delta. My reply is based on feel, and I feel that counts.

So:
-My Fabspeed exhaust alone didn't add much more than amazing, I love it, can't wait to hear more, thank you Fabspeed, sound
-Orton Performance Headers added a LOT of low-end torque that you can truly feel (2x as long as stock, equal length)
-Orton ECU pulled it all together for a blast at any RPM, and I mean amazing difference!

Botton line is that it's not just one piece (one alone) it's how they work together. Get a top tuner like Neil Orton, and write the check. Because doing one thing impacts another, and understanding their interaction is what separates a Neil Orton Porsche from an also ran Porsche in my rear view mirror.

But to answer your question, an exhaust alone won't add much more than sound. My $.02.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Neil's site is www.ortonperformance.com. He's a Porsche Yoda.

All chips are different, in that they are essentially an ECU remap of how the entire engine works. Neil's chip partner is a well-known German outfit.

Neil's are so good, that he put a 997S engine into a Cayman, and took it to a Porsche dealership for a service, and they didn't know anything was different (no fault codes on diagnositics tool) until they drove it.

Keeping your chip secret from the dealer is important for warrantee coverage.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jkb
hey alex, has anybody dyno'ed suncoast headers before? does suncoast simply transfer torque from lower band to upper band or does it add some torque throughout the full band?

should i just do suncoast headers for torque and PSE hack for sound and cheapness?
i did it. do a search for "suncoast headers" under the 996 section.

i did before and after dynos on the same day, same dyno. i picked up around 20 plus rwhp in the midrage and 10 rwhp on top. yes, it did lose a little bottom. that's exhaust tuning though....

my dynos are posted there. the pse exhaust sounds great. just add the headers.

i think i'm the only person on this board that acually dynos parts before and after i don't really buy the "it feels faster", "my butt dyno says", or "it has improved throttle response" reviews. I need to see it on paper. we spend too much money on this ****e to not test it.

speaking of which. i have a new part i'm testing. stay tuned for yet more "before" and "after" dynos....

Old 03-22-2007, 11:09 PM
uh oh, I smell plennum

Old 03-23-2007, 12:50 AM
jkb
Originally Posted by deputydog95
i did it. do a search for "suncoast headers" under the 996 section.

i did before and after dynos on the same day, same dyno. i picked up around 20 plus rwhp in the midrage and 10 rwhp on top. yes, it did lose a little bottom. that's exhaust tuning though....

my dynos are posted there. the pse exhaust sounds great. just add the headers.

i think i'm the only person on this board that acually dynos parts before and after i don't really buy the "it feels faster", "my butt dyno says", or "it has improved throttle response" reviews. I need to see it on paper. we spend too much money on this ****e to not test it.
thanks! what do you mean by "lose a little bottom" -- under 3K RPM? i'll dig for those dyno charts, so if its there, dont answer.

Originally Posted by deputydog95
speaking of which. i have a new part i'm testing. stay tuned for yet more "before" and "after" dynos....
*sigh*
i am telling you man, clear side markers do NOT give additional horsepower

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust gives you extra horsepower?