6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Rattling sound from the engine (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/126272-rattling-sound-engine.html)

WTT997 04-13-2008 05:51 AM

Rattling sound from the engine

Hi Guys..

Have an issue here regarding the rattling sound.. tsk tsk tsk.. Had this sound since day 1 when car was delivered. Was told that the engine is still warming up hence the rattling sound.. However it has been 2k miles since and this sound has never cease but louder especially after every drive..

What i've noticed -

1. Mild rattling sound when engine is on.
2. Sound gets louder after driving from point to point.
3. Sound could only be heard from outside, not while driving.

Is this a characteristic of a Porsche TT engine? Havent had a chance to compare with other 997 TTs yet.. Please advice.

Thanks.

Ron

RAY in Pa. 04-13-2008 07:15 AM

No, it's not normal by any means.

lee lovell 04-13-2008 07:23 AM

They are naturally noisey, sounds like a bag of nails.

eclou 04-13-2008 09:31 AM

I would get it checked out immediately. Does not sound correct

TT Surgeon 04-13-2008 03:58 PM

With the true dry sump you're gonna hear somewhat of a rattle, but it sounds like you're describing an intermediate shaft issue.

yrralis1 04-13-2008 07:27 PM

None with mine. I would get it checked .

bluesea 04-14-2008 08:02 AM

I had a rattling engine as well. Your symptoms seem mostly the same as mine. I noticed the issue from the start but I got the car with 900 miles on it. As I would drive off I could hear the rattle and it could also be heard by bystanders.

The one time I had it checked (by slow test drive) the tech just said that it was normal, but I sensed that he was incorrect.

My engine failed and it was replaced. I don't know if the reason for the rattle was the same reason it failed, but as I suspected, the new engine was rattle free and ran much smoother. The car would now have more get up and go at lower rpms. The service people agreed that the new engine ran better.

The problem for you will be persuading the dealer that somethings wrong. You might have a seasoned tech stand outside as you start to pull away at low speed (as if you're driving in a parking lot). If you could demonstrate it you might convince the tech that the rattle sound can't be deemed normal.

If the rattle should not be there then it seems that others have this problem as well from what I'm reading here.

Best of luck to you!

WTT997 04-14-2008 09:30 AM

Blusea.. you are scaring me now.. How did your engine fail? In which areas? Perhaps i could tell the techs to look into that area.. Thanks a lot.

Dubai_TT 04-14-2008 10:45 AM

could you post a sound clip of the noise ?

bluesea 04-14-2008 01:32 PM

It was something related to the number six cylinder going lean all of a sudden, melting a grove at the edge of the piston top, into the cylinder wall. I don't think it could be related but I am not that knowledgeable about the details of the engine. It may have been a coincidence.

Originally Posted by WTT997 (Post 1794899)
Blusea.. you are scaring me now.. How did your engine fail? In which areas? Perhaps i could tell the techs to look into that area.. Thanks a lot.

Terminator 04-14-2008 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by WTT997 (Post 1793058)
Hi Guys..

Have an issue here regarding the rattling sound.. tsk tsk tsk.. Had this sound since day 1 when car was delivered. Was told that the engine is still warming up hence the rattling sound.. However it has been 2k miles since and this sound has never cease but louder especially after every drive..

What i've noticed -

1. Mild rattling sound when engine is on.
2. Sound gets louder after driving from point to point.
3. Sound could only be heard from outside, not while driving.

Is this a characteristic of a Porsche TT engine? Havent had a chance to compare with other 997 TTs yet.. Please advice.

Thanks.

Ron

There is rattling and there is rattling. Our cars do rattle a bit but I would describe it more of a chatter rather than rattle... The 911’s are noisy engines comparing to other cars. As you refer to it as mild I would say it's normal. If it sounds like a lose exhaust shield, the chances are its normal.<O:p</O:p

Redline911 09-29-2013 12:00 AM

This is a fairly old post, but getting the same rattle at low RPM. It shows up once the engine warms up. Hate it because it can be heard when pulling away outside the car and makes the engine sound bad, despite the cargraphic rumble... (which I admittedly step out to drown out the ticking noise... ;)

salerno713 09-29-2013 01:27 AM

Fellas, I hear this all the time and its completely normal. The Timing chains are very noisy in all 911s. Nothing to fear.

jhbrennan 09-29-2013 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Redline911 (Post 3947105)
This is a fairly old post, but getting the same rattle at low RPM. It shows up once the engine warms up. Hate it because it can be heard when pulling away outside the car and makes the engine sound bad, despite the cargraphic rumble... (which I admittedly step out to drown out the ticking noise... ;)

Read here - article is in post 8

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eferrerid=7931

Redline911 09-29-2013 04:28 PM

Thanks so much guys. Glad to confirm it is normal - and frankly that it does not mean the engine is about to blow up!