997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:11 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RajuPatel
I did as suggested. Removed the TechArt Main and helper springs from the front. Installed 6" long (ID 70mm) SWIFT Springs (336 ld.ft)(SWI Z70-152-060) and retained the nose lift of TechArt.

In the rears, removed the TechArt main spring and replaced with Swift Springs (Z70-203-100) (10 kgf/mm, 560 lbs/inch). Retained the Helper springs.

Replaced all top mounts with TARETT mounts. Then aligned the car. Front and back camber set to -1.5.

This set up has raised the car height to clear 95% of the speed bumps in and around town. I use the the "nose lift" function only and only for the "car-breaker" bumps.

Took it for a long ride of about 400 kms which included long straights and few twists. The ride is much more comfortable. but not at the cost of handling. Straight line high speed stability is very good (except a little floaty feeling beyond 200 kmph). long turns are also handled with great confidence. Did not have sharp turns and/or chicanes to push the car... BUT ALL IN ALL.. a true bulletproof supercar... have ordered the TARETT drop links.. will wait to install and then corner balance.. and post again after another long drive...till then, cheers.. and drive safe....
Congrats and very glad to hear that it seems to have worked out well! All that writing on this thread and I think you are finally the first person to try.

The springs are so cheap I would suggest you stock up on the next level up for both springs: front spring rate around 400 and rear spring rate around 600 or so. Just in case you want to try and experiment later on.

Yes I missed my car too when I don't drive it - no plan whatsoever to upgrade once suspension has been "corrected." Cheers.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:59 PM
RajuPatel is on a distinguished road
thanks and cheers

Originally Posted by cannga
Congrats and very glad to hear that it seems to have worked out well! All that writing on this thread and I think you are finally the first person to try.

The springs are so cheap I would suggest you stock up on the next level up for both springs: front spring rate around 400 and rear spring rate around 600 or so. Just in case you want to try and experiment later on.

Yes I missed my car too when I don't drive it - no plan whatsoever to upgrade once suspension has been "corrected." Cheers.
As you said "no plan whatsoever to upgrade once suspension has been "corrected."

I propose to tinker around with the DSC box via the software and see what suits me best. The idea being to set the "normal" mode to best city ride, and the "Sport" mode to spirited highway and twisty road runs. I will explore the DSC box's tuning capabilities...

Cheers.. drive safe..

Old 04-02-2018, 02:56 AM
I have installed the front and rear RSS adjustable components and the ER adjustable thrust control arms. I am running a -2.0 rear camber and -2.0 front camber. However this setup makes a lot of noise in the city when driving on concrete/cobbled/paver surfaced roads. It is very irritating to say the least. Is it possible to attain the same alignment set up if I change the Rear Upper control arms (dog bones) to stock and retain the adjustable RSS lower arm and the ER thrust arms? If not, then what is the best (read max) negative camber can I achieve wit the stock dog bones set up. The idea being to get rid of noise when driving in the city and on concrete/cobbled/paver roads.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:42 AM
changster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond reputechangster has a reputation beyond repute
I have installed the front and rear RSS adjustable components and the ER adjustable thrust control arms. I am running a -2.0 rear camber and -2.0 front camber. However this setup makes a lot of noise in the city when driving on concrete/cobbled/paver surfaced roads. It is very irritating to say the least. Is it possible to attain the same alignment set up if I change the Rear Upper control arms (dog bones) to stock and retain the adjustable RSS lower arm and the ER thrust arms? If not, then what is the best (read max) negative camber can I achieve wit the stock dog bones set up. The idea being to get rid of noise when driving in the city and on concrete/cobbled/paver roads.

Hate to say it but you bought the wrong parts. It's way way better to use the Porsche Motorsport stuff... there are a lot of versions as well. You should contact Tom @ TPC Racing, he knows all the intricate details on which parts you need, etc.

I have all the arms changed + Tractive full coilovers and there is no noise except SOMETIMES from the swaybar endlinks.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:00 AM
Hi changster, you mean that the Porsche Motorstuff components will NOT be noisy and will also help achieve the alignment setup that i want...
How long would these last? as good as the RSS? or better? any idea what would be the cost? Thanks for the response...

Old 04-02-2018, 10:43 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Hi changster, you mean that the Porsche Motorstuff components will NOT be noisy and will also help achieve the alignment setup that i want...
How long would these last? as good as the RSS? or better? any idea what would be the cost? Thanks for the response...
The Porsche Motortsport stuff is top notch. All uses high quality German monoballs as opposed to the junk FK or Aurora bearing monoballs used on all the shiny aftermarket stuff. For street use, none of this makes sense. Stick with OEM parts..

Old 04-06-2018, 12:17 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Second time through reading this monster. Great information covering a wide breadth of suspension topics.

My only contribution at this point would be if you have PSS9's then get the TPC DSC. There is just no comparison pre and post installation. Now on to sways & drop links, maybe solid pucks in the rear.

What I really need to figure out is where to find these alternate strut mounts that don't have their undersides resting directly on the springs of the coilovers. The spring pop is driving me nuts. Unfortunately the company that did the work for this gentleman (Atomic80 on Teamspeed) is out of business and a google search hasn't helped yet for a:

"pillowtop mount with ball bearing"

You can see it here:

https://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997...uspension.html

Post #2, about 3/4 the way down the post. If anyone recognizes these, I would be anxious to hear about them.

TIA,

Ed

Old 04-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Mitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of light
A bit late to the party, Particularly for Ed...

But if anyone is looking for these mounts (I've used this exact thread to spec my setup)

Performance Shock inc. have them available, as well as the spring mounts for the PSS10s.

I've also went one step more in adding thrust washers, Swift Springs make them, The kit you'll need is Swift PN#: 744303 (Spring Thrust Sheets Kit 70mm 2.75")

I've been running this setup for 2-3 years, no sign of coil binding, It Works Great!

...No involvement with any vendor listed...

Cheers!

Old 04-10-2018, 03:56 PM
DiegoJP is an unknown quantity at this point
Cannga,
This is the best thread I've seen on our 997tt's suspension.
I ordered the damptronics, what spring rates are you running now? I saw your post on rennteam where you where running 556 from and rear, but you might have tweaked it since then?
I was thinking of doing 556 front and 670 in the rear. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2018, 02:17 PM
drhamel is an unknown quantity at this point
new buyer

if canngo is still out there can you please contact me at 949-280-1497, thank you, Roger Hamel

Old 07-23-2018, 04:09 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DiegoJP
Cannga,
This is the best thread I've seen on our 997tt's suspension.
I ordered the damptronics, what spring rates are you running now? I saw your post on rennteam where you where running 556 from and rear, but you might have tweaked it since then?
I was thinking of doing 556 front and 670 in the rear. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Thank you and you're welcome. Sorry I have not been on this board for a long time. Anyway I am running 448 front/600 rear spring rates, with GMG sway bar (middle setting) for quite a few years now and completely happy with it. The tires are Bridgestone RE11 which is quite a bit stiffer (much, much stiffer sidewall versus Michelin Pilot Sport; RE11 is close to Cup tire stiffness and makes the car feel very sporty). These spring rates on the Bilstein is absolute perfection for the area that I live in (mountainous and hilly Rancho Palos Verdes) and is about the stiffest I would use on the streets. For comparison, with the 448/600 spring rates, my Turbo puts my stock 2011 M3 on its stiffest shock setting to shame on mountainous roads. I know not fair comparison (weight, different class of car, etc.), but the STOCK Turbo was no better than M3.

I did try 556 front/556 rear, but that high front rate was way too stiff for me. Also I felt an equal front/rear rates in our Turbo causes severe understeer, so it was a short-lived experiment.

For reference (it's more, much more than just spring rates obviously), the 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 RS that Porsche factory driver Kevin Estre just ran 6:56.4 at the Nurburgring (lapped the new GT3 RS quicker than a 918 ) has spring rates
Front 570 lbs/in
Rear 915 lbs/in

Last edited by cannga; 07-23-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:13 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Can is the king of bilstein damptronics.
c

Old 07-24-2018, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Can is the king of bilstein damptronics.
c
Hey Chris, long time no see! What are you up to these days? Moved on or still with old Faithful Mezger Turbo?

Old 11-17-2018, 08:25 PM
MoeMonney will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sanham
CANNGA: what do you think about GT3 sways, and the tarret drop links (front and rear), as they (tarret) sale the kit, for my 997.2TT....

do you recomend a different mix.... whhich is your suggestion????

thanks

So I assume now this is the best combination along with the TPC DSC module?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:00 AM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice set up there OP what about the overall ballpark cost (parts/labor) on your suspension transformation?

stiffer, tighter,better! is the fore and aft improved too?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.

Quick Reply: Pics & Review of My Bilstein PSS10 Lowered Red Turbo