997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT needs new clutch...quick question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 AM
FloydSummerOf68 is on a distinguished road
997TT needs new clutch...quick question

First post here...

The clutch on my Dad's 997TT is totally shot. It is tuned pretty aggressively on 93 octane (trapping ~124+ mph) and the clutch started slipping quite a bit at the track and finally took a dump the other day all together.

I did plenty of searching on your site and found that it seems the majority recommend stepping up to the Sachs Stage II setup.

For the life of me I cannot find where to order this online. I have found a Sachs Stage II setup for a 996 vehicle....do they use the same parts?

The part numbers I found on Vivid Racing for the Stage II organic clutch kit were:

Any help would be greatly appreciated so we can get it back on the road. We were actually supposed to take his car and my C6 out to a road course this weekend....good thing the clutch went out when it did instead of on the track

-Shawn

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 01-12-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
FloydSummerOf68 is on a distinguished road
Nevermind, found it on Vivid's site.

Same part numbers.

Was slightly confusing because it is only listed as SACHS-996TT-2 on VividRacing's site, but there are actually two of those listed, but with different descriptions.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
you can also order it from AWE tuning. I would skip the -752 pressure plate and go straight to the -764 pressure plate. More clamping force and still stock feel. Ask Mike at AWe for the stage 2.5 clutch

Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
you can also order it from AWE tuning. I would skip the -752 pressure plate and go straight to the -764 pressure plate. More clamping force and still stock feel. Ask Mike at AWe for the stage 2.5 clutch
Thanks, eclou.

See here for more detail on the Sachs Stage 2.5 clutch that we offer.

http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...n&IL=996stage2

The pedal feel is like stock and will hold higher horsepower levels and more aggressive driving.

Email me if you have more specific questions.

Mike@AWE-Tuning.com

Old 01-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Do the Clutch Masters Stage 3. I run it in my 997TT. Better engagement then the Stage 2 Sachs and will last longer. CM also uses OEM Sachs components. Call me to discuss.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
Do the Clutch Masters Stage 3. I run it in my 997TT. Better engagement then the Stage 2 Sachs and will last longer. CM also uses OEM Sachs components. Call me to discuss.
Please expound on "better engagement".

Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Having used the Sachs Stage 2 a couple of times, we switched over to Clutch Masters and so has most of the 996TT and 997TT crowd. The part is the same btw. The Clutch Masters kit uses OEM Sachs pressure plate and clutch disk that is then beefed up. Clutch Masters uses a material called FiberTough on the full face disk that is less abrasive on the flywheel then kevlar but holds the same if not more power. The new sprung hub allows for very easy engagment starting out in 1st and 2nd gear and as many 996TT and 997TT customers have seen, the Sachs Stage 2 just cant hold the power. So if you want to replace your clutch again, get the Sachs, if you want a clutch that lasts, get the Clutch Masters. The CM Stage 3 I run in my 997TT with 800 crank. I have done Texas Mile, Drag Raced, and street drive my car to work. It is a GREAT all around clutch. View more here - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/c...5-p-49671.html

Last edited by bbywu; 01-15-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: removed open forum pricing
Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Former Vendor
Having used the Sachs Stage 2 a couple of times, we switched over to Clutch Masters and so has most of the 996TT and 997TT crowd. The part is the same btw
We switched from the Stg2 to what we are calling the Stage 2.5. Same pedal feel as stock and more clamping force for higher horsepower cars.

Still uncleear on what you mean regarding better pedal feel? The Stage 2 and our Stage 2.5 feel identical to stock. Not sure how you can improve upon that.

The Clutch Masters kit uses OEM Sachs pressure plate and clutch disk that is then beefed up.
Beefed up AND a better pedal feel?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
We switched from the Stg2 to what we are calling the Stage 2.5. Same pedal feel as stock and more clamping force for higher horsepower cars.
Just thought I'd offer another opinion. I am very familiar with this setup Mike. According to Gene's product numbers, it is the exact setup that was supplied to me on my Ruf conversion. Identical feel to stock, pedal pressure, and engagement point. Even with a LWFW...

Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bbywu
Just thought I'd offer another opinion. I am very familiar with this setup Mike. According to Gene's product numbers, it is the exact setup that was supplied to me on my Ruf conversion. Identical feel to stock, pedal pressure, and engagement point. Even with a LWFW...
Thanks, and you bring up a good point as well.

Forgot to comment that even with the LWFW it feels the same.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:07 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Thanks, and you bring up a good point as well.

Forgot to comment that even with the LWFW it feels the same.
Mike, I heard you swapped back to the stock dual mass a few months ago. Which flywheel were you using?

As far as the CM Stage 3 is concerned, there were some folks to didn't like the higher engagement point with a LWFW combination. Not sure if the OP wants to go with a LWFW, but something to consider.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-trouble.html

Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bbywu
Mike, I heard you swapped back to the stock dual mass a few months ago. Which flywheel were you using?

As far as the CM Stage 3 is concerned, there were some folks to didn't like the higher engagement point with a LWFW combination. Not sure if the OP wants to go with a LWFW, but something to consider.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-trouble.html

We only use AASCO flywheels. Only reason we switched was because the chatter at idle was scaring people.

I would often give test drives to guys that weren't always in the know on the noises associated with a flywheel.

It was tough to explain.

So we just went back to stock.

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 01-15-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
We only use AASCO flywheels. Only reason we switched was because the chatter at idle was scaring people.

I would often gift test drives to guys that weren't always in the know on the noises associated with a flywheel.

It was tough to explain the noise.

So we just went back to stock.
I know what you mean. I've had people in parking lots tell me my car was broken.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor
Guaranteed noiseless with the Clutch Masters flywheel.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I know what you mean. I've had people in parking lots tell me my car was broken.
It's a shame because the car in my opinion is enhanced dramatically by the lighweight flywheel.

It's just the sound is not for everyone.

Frankly it doesn't bother me a bit!