997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tire Pressure of 36/44 PSI too high?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Tire Pressure of 36/44 PSI too high?

I searched but didn't find any specific discussion of why the factory recommended tire pressure at 36F/44R are so high. When I first the numbers on the door jamb, I had to take a second look and make sure I didn't read it wrong. I remember the GT3 I had was at something like 32/39. I have a Viper w/ probably same weight as the 997TT running 28/32. Are most of you guys running this high of pressure?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:05 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Yes, it is. For "partial load" (driver only) the cold pressure (car un-driven, no direct sunlight on tires) recommendation is 33/39, at 20 C/68 F, and lower when the ambient temp is lower. My car for example reads 31/37 in the morning when ambient temp is in the 50's.
If you are not familiar with the very convenient TPMS system in the Turbo & how to use the stalk to check the differential pressure readings, you might want to click on that Bilstein thread in my signature below and go to the last page. Some of my somewhat coherent rambling on tire pressure -- street usage -- is there.
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...html#p20079160

Originally Posted by bli8
I searched but didn't find any specific discussion of why the factory recommended tire pressure at 36F/44R are so high. When I first the numbers on the door jamb, I had to take a second look and make sure I didn't read it wrong. I remember the GT3 I had was at something like 32/39. I have a Viper w/ probably same weight as the 997TT running 28/32. Are most of you guys running this high of pressure?

Last edited by cannga; 04-09-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
FYI the 993tt which had a lower weight than the 997tt even ran 36/44 tire pressures, but on 18"

Old 04-09-2009, 08:50 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I run it around 33/35 cold for around town driving.

With the bad roads here if I run the rear PSI anywhere near what its recommended the rear feels too harsh over bumps.

And yes, my tire pressure sensor is always lit It comforts me along with the red exclamation mark for no third brake light.

My dash is like a christmas tree.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
eclou,

What tire pressure do you keep on your 997TT at the track? Just curious as I of course have no experience there.
How often do you have to check to bleed off? Is there a range you try to keep the pressure within?

When I was at the Porsche autocross event, I vaguely recall seeing 44/44 on the Cayman S. Seems to be awefully high. Is that typical of what people do at the track?

Originally Posted by eclou
FYI the 993tt which had a lower weight than the 997tt even ran 36/44 tire pressures, but on 18"

Old 04-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Former Vendor
Autoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud of
Get some Nitrogen in the tires and I run it around 32/35, Depends on how you drive...How agressive do you drive?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:46 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
mine are 34/40 after being warmed up - all on nitrogen..

Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
FSU-997TT is on a distinguished road
Actually per the manual....the 36/45 is for the "fully Loaded" driving and 33/39 is for the "partially loaded".....

Originally Posted by cannga
Yes, it is. For "partial load" (driver only) the cold pressure (car un-driven, no direct sunlight on tires) recommendation is 33/39, at 20 C/68 F, and lower when the ambient temp is lower. My car for example reads 31/37 in the morning when ambient temp is in the 50's.
If you are not familiar with the very convenient TPMS system in the Turbo & how to use the stalk to check the differential pressure readings, you might want to click on that Bilstein thread in my signature below and go to the last page. Some of my somewhat coherent rambling on tire pressure -- street usage -- is there.
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...html#p20079160

Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Can, at the track on R compounds like MPSC I like to start at 28F/30R cold PSI, some guys go even lower on the GT2s. After a few laps they are hot and running around 40-44 PSI. On a street tire I generally shoot for 36/44 hot at the track. You'll find yourself constantly bleeding down the tires through the day. Hoosiers are completely different. I'm also happy if my pyrometer reads 140-160 as evenly as possible on the tires, immediately off the track. Tells me I'm driving the car hard enough.
On the street I use the standard OEM pressures for DD.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
When I run 44psi in the rear I have seen the center of the tire showing wear.. I run mine at 34/40 hot.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by FSU-997TT
Actually per the manual....the 36/45 is for the "fully Loaded" driving and 33/39 is for the "partially loaded".....
Sure. Fully loaded is higher, but if and only if you have 2 passengers PLUS luggage.

I think everyone is talking about partial loaded here -- up to 2 people in car. For that, the range is around 31/37 cold, and 33/39 warm, for street.

Doug, thanks for the interesting info on track tire pressure.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Read the various information links on the Tire Rack web site - pretty good generic education for many of us.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Slow4s has a spectacular aura aboutSlow4s has a spectacular aura about
Yup, Tire Rack has some great info!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
At the beginnig it was running 35-40 cold / 38-45 hot.

Then i made a trackday and dropped a bit the pressures to 32-38 cold. Even so, it went to 46-50 on track but only 36-42 on the road.

Now i'm running 30-36 cold / 34-39 hot. I have a trackday in 2 weeks in the same track, but this time the air temp will be around 45ºF higher. I have no clue what pressures to use. Can someone help?

It has michelin PS2.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:28 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
I also noticed the TPMs reads quite low compared to my gauges. I double checked the reading using two different good quality gauges this morning and both read 33F/39R cold. Then when the reading come on, TPMS only showed 29F/35R, off by 4 PSI both F and R. Do your TPMS readings agree w/ your tire gauges?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure of 36/44 PSI too high?