997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

World Premier: Champion/Carrillo 997.1 Turbo Connecting Rods!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
World Premier: Champion/Carrillo 997.1 Turbo Connecting Rods!

Before anyone says "wait a second...doesn't Carrillo already make 997 Turbo rods"....nope they most certainly don't....until now.

When deciding on which internal parts we would use for our 997 Turbo engine upgrades, we knew right from the start that we would ONLY use Carrillo rods. Understanding Carrillo's attention to detail and pursuit of absolute perfection in every one of their parts, we knew that no other connecting rod would do. That presented a pretty large problem....Carrillo does not currently manufacture a connecting rod specifically for the 997 Turbo. So, why not just back-date the parts, use 996TT bearings and call it a day? There's a few reasons.

For starters the 996TT and 997TT crankshafts use similar surface hardening treatments, but with very different final results. For that reason, the 996 and 997 use different bearing compositions to suit the particular final crankshaft finish. In the event that the bearing and crank come in contact with each other, the 'matched' finish helps avoid binding of the bearing and the crankshaft resulting in a "spun bearing".

OK...so why not just use the 997TT bearing in the 996TT rod? No can do. Take a look closely at the 996TT rod below. It only has retaining slots for the bearing on one side of the thrust area. The 997TT bearing will not work because it requires slots on both sides.

996TT Connection Rod

The second reason the 996TT rods are not appropriate for the 997TT is because the thickness of the thrust surface on the connecting rod is slightly more then the 997 rod. Because the oil pressure on the bearing is determined by the space between the thrust surface on the rod and the thrust surface on the crank, using a 996 rod on a 997 crank created higher oil pressure, which in turn creates more heat on the bearing, and increases the chances of failure.

So when designing these rods with Carrillo, we specifically reduced the thickness of the thrust area (which is the thickness of the rod where the bearing sits), and added the appropriate retaining slots so that the correct 997 Turbo bearing could be used. This eliminates any potential oil pressure issues on the bearing and in turn, reduces the risk of bearing failure. In the pictures below, you can see the additional slots:

997TT CMS/Carrillo Rod

Another interesting thing to note about our new rods is that they're made to accomodate a 3.6L or 3.8L engine build. Notice the larger pressed bearing in the wrist pin bore area. The additional thickness allows us to determine whether to use a 23mm wrist pin for a 3.6L engine, or 20mm for a 3.8L. Note: this has to be specified at the time of order.

For additional overall strength throughout the entire rod, 30/1000th's of material were added throughout the I-beam section, and also in the most critical and failure-prone area of the rod: between the thrust surface and the bolt area (indicated in the picture below).

Overall, I think these are by far the best connecting rod option for the 997 Turbo. No need to back-date and use older generation parts. No potential risks for damage. And, of course, the peace of mind knowing that these rods were designed by Champion and Carrillo, the leaders in the performance connecting rod market.

Available soon. For any inquiries, feel free to PM or email me (I prefer emails )

Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Those are real beauties Tom. Nice description. Out of curiosity, how are the rods tested and how do you measure if they meet the design expectation? Is there a TQ/HP rating for them?

Last edited by TTdude; 07-27-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Those are real beauties Tom. Nice description. Out of curiosity, how are the rods tested and how do you measure if they meet the design expectation? Is there a TQ/HP rating for them?
To save myself some typing, I'm just gonna copy/paste this right off their site.

Carrillo Rods

Carrillo uses proprietary chrome, nickel, moly, vanadium alloy which meets all VAR (vacuum arc re-melt ASTM standards). The heat is validated, both by the supplier and an independent metallurgist whom confirm the desired physical and chemical properties of steel.
All heat treat processes are via a mar-aged operation, resulting in UTS of 195,000 with a yield of 182,000 while maintaining the critical elements of low notch-sensitivity and ductility.
All Carrillo connecting rods are manufactured from an oversized forging resulting in the proper grainflow as well as the surface removal of any potential inclusions or surface conversions generated by the forging process. All critical CNC machines at Carrillo are equipped with probing to accurately validate dimensional integrity. In the production process each part is magnafluxed at least twice, further each piece is Rockwell tested to validate the heat treat procedure. A final shotpeen operation completes the part.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:44 AM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
I beams...yummy

Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Those are in my future list for sure

Tom, what is the setup for stock engine displacement? Do you offer pistons also?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by milou
Those are in my future list for sure

Tom, what is the setup for stock engine displacement? Do you offer pistons also?
Same rods can be used for stock displacement. Mahle pistons are available.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
so now they are even more heavy

Old 07-29-2011, 01:49 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Carol, what are you using in your engine?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
so now they are even more heavy
Actually, if you must know, our 3.8L rods are only 4 grams heavier then the factory 3.6L. See...

Originally Posted by milou
Carol, what are you using in your engine?
I'd like to know this as well. I'd also like to see some REAL performance #'s from this car.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:10 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Actually, if you must know, our 3.8L rods are only 4 grams heavier then the factory 3.6L. See...

I'd like to know this as well. I'd also like to see some REAL performance #'s from this car.
mine are from pankl. they are much lighter...

Old 07-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion

Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Pankl develops and manufactures high quality engine components for any aftermarket application (e.g. street race, powersports, vintage), available both off-the-shelf and custom engineered. Our premium brands CP and Carrillo allow our aftermarket customers to profit from more than 45 years of experience and superb performance in the racing business.

Reference: http://www.pankl.com/Aftermarket.542.0.html

Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 997 GT3 RS/TT
Pankl makes fantastic products, for sure. How much do they weigh? I'm curious...

Old 07-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
I see Pankl makes Titanium compounds but nothing for Porsche? Maybe a special? Does Carrillo make Titanium?

I do see this.................................

In addition to our standard proprietary blend of steel, Carrilloloy, Carrillo offers other connecting rod materials, such as Aluminum and Gen4. We constantly research and test potential materials to improve product offerings.

Last edited by Slow911TT68Tip; 07-29-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:11 AM
no idea but they are light.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: World Premier: Champion/Carrillo 997.1 Turbo Connecting Rods!