997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Who has the stiffest rear adjustable sway bar?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
OT - Mike,
Thanks. I came late and it was a minor service so didn't want to bother you.
Surely I'll come calling when the Turbo charge kit I've just added crack the Lexus V8 block. LOL.

>>>>
It takes a while to go through your replies Can, i should charge you to post... J/K
>>>>>>

KA, somehow it seems like I am getting the bad end of the deal here.

Anyway, sway bar could be a frustrating topic. For one, no one publishes official specs, so consumers are left with speculations and rumors. Second, even if we do have the specs (torsion spring rate I think, not just thickness), I am not sure we know what to do with them.

Probably, the most helpful "specs" are provided by GMG: "The rear sport sway bars offers a torsional stiffness increase of 30,45 and 60% while the front front sway bar offers an increase of 15/25 and 35% over the factory bar." http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_suspension.shtml
Since they are made by Eibach, I felt comfortable buying them, but really I have no idea how to define the "best" sway bar. Being "stiffest" to me does NOT mean being the best sway bar -- it depends on the setup and what you are looking for.

BTW, as you already know, the sway is there to a. increase lat. stiffness and b. adjust handling. If you want to just stiffen the car, I think the better route is to use higher spring rates.
It's never a bother. Minor service or engine block replacement from your turbocharger, give me a ring. I'll add on a nirtous kit to your GX for ya. Then you'll really see what a Lexus can do!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 PM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
KA,

The economy is starting to recover IMO. I think there are some smooth sailing days ahead. I am the eternal optimistic you know. But seriously, I don't feel the economy here is as bad as the media portrays it to be.

As far as real estate goes, that varies by area. I have been buying some properties for investment purposes and I am finding that in certain areas, you can't give the houses away. On the flip side, there are parts of Orange County where the real estate market is pretty hot now. I've lost a few bidding wars already.

The San Diego market is doing ok. The real estate market in that area has been hit pretty severly. Now is probably a good time to buy there.

Make the move man. We have a small group of 6 speeed members here that can do some runs with ya!
Not many 6 speeders here either. The weather here is what is making me want to move and quick!!!
I should be visiting the So CA/SD area in the next couple of months. Thanks for the great feedback!.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
OT - Mike,
Thanks. I came late and it was a minor service so didn't want to bother you.
Surely I'll come calling when the Turbo charge kit I've just added crack the Lexus V8 block. LOL.

>>>>
It takes a while to go through your replies Can, i should charge you to post... J/K
>>>>>>

KA, somehow it seems like I am getting the bad end of the deal here.

Anyway, sway bar could be a frustrating topic. For one, no one publishes official specs, so consumers are left with speculations and rumors. Second, even if we do have the specs (torsion spring rate I think, not just thickness), I am not sure we know what to do with them.

Probably, the most helpful "specs" are provided by GMG: "The rear sport sway bars offers a torsional stiffness increase of 30,45 and 60% while the front front sway bar offers an increase of 15/25 and 35% over the factory bar." http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_suspension.shtml
Since they are made by Eibach, I felt comfortable buying them, but really I have no idea how to define the "best" sway bar. Being "stiffest" to me does NOT mean being the best sway bar -- it depends on the setup and what you are looking for.

BTW, as you already know, the sway is there to a. increase lat. stiffness and b. adjust handling. If you want to just stiffen the car, I think the better route is to use higher spring rates.
It's never a bother. Minor service or engine block replacement from your turbocharger, give me a ring. I'll add a nitrous kit to your GX and show you what a Lexus can really do.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by KA 997TT
Not many 6 speeders here either. The weather here is what is making me want to move and quick!!!
I should be visiting the So CA/SD area in the next couple of months. Thanks for the great feedback!.
When you are in town, let me know.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Very good information. Could you ask the Agency Power engineer to comment how their sway bar compare to stock, percentage wise?

In other words, we know it's thicker, but giving a percentage increase would give buyers a much better idea and provide the critical reference point.
An analogy: Stating Nasdaq go down 200 points is nearly meaningless without the reference point. Stating Nasdaq go down 10% immediately shows the seriousness of the situation.

The percentage increase from stock is critical information that is missing from your web site I think.
Thanks again Dan.

Originally Posted by vividracing
I spoke with our engineer on the sway bars and this is what I was told. So hope this helps:

When comparing anti-sway bars of same configurations, both made of solid steel alloy, different diameter bars can be directly compared. Larger diameter bars have a higher bar (spring) rate. If the bars are wider, or have longer arms (moments) they cannot be directly compared. We measure in pounds-per-inch at the end link, just like a coil spring. The adjustment holes change the rate in a direct linear relationship as well. Sway bars are just torsion springs, but they effect the chassis much differently than a chassis spring.

Note that anti-sway bars are used for tuning both the roll rate and chassis balance (oversteer-understeer), and this is not just a "more-is-better" approach. The chassis setup (springs, shocks, bars, alignment, tire-wheel selection, etc.) is more important as a whole than any one element. Bars are for tuning! German cars are usually tuned light on sway bars, as much of their tuning philosophy is based on high-speed testing. Here, US enthusiasts appreciate lower speed cornering, as our "fast motoring" is much more limited. Tight corners at lower speeds are more fun (and faster) with less body roll, as the tire contact patch is larger and more stable.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 AM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Very good information. Could you ask the Agency Power engineer to comment how their sway bar compare to stock, percentage wise?

In other words, we know it's thicker, but giving a percentage increase would give buyers a much better idea and provide the critical reference point.
An analogy: Stating Nasdaq go down 200 points is nearly meaningless without the reference point. Stating Nasdaq go down 10% immediately shows the seriousness of the situation.

The percentage increase from stock is critical information that is missing from your web site I think.
Thanks again Dan.
Thank you for putting this in better words for me Can. I need to be able to compare in order for me to know where i am and what increase/decrease can be done.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
let's get back to discussion and forget the veiled threats or this thread will be closed

Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
Any more KA997/vividracing squabbling here, and I'll close the thread, and enforce a time-out. There's good information here, no need to lower the signal-noise ratio.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by justinmm2
Any more KA997/vividracing squabbling here, and I'll close the thread, and enforce a time-out. There's good information here, no need to lower the signal-noise ratio.
Please read the entire post, you can close as well as remove me from this entire forum if you like. I am simply asking questions, not bashing anyone. Mr. Mermelstein came on here attacking me. Where is the harm of me inquiring? I learned a lot from every one's reply, I received emails from vendors offering assistance. I asked nicely for Vivid to stop with the comments. Maybe it is good for you to ask him yourself and let me finish with my thread as I and a few folks on here are enjoying it and learning from it. You are right about asking for things to tone down, but please ask the noise maker. Again, I am well aware that this is your call.

Sincerely,
Me.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:10 AM
New question

Has anyone tried the TPC Racing bars? I looked at their products and they have a 4 way adjustable ones for the rear, this has got to be a bit stiffer if i were to go this route.
Is there a point where you do not want to cross when it comes to torsion spring rate on these cars?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Mods, please don't close thread! There are very good questions by KA and good information by Vivid Racing.
Plus Gotboost and I are going to discuss Turbo mod for my wife's Lexus SUV next. I know it's sort of off topic though.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Mods, please don't close thread! There are very good questions by KA and good information by Vivid Racing.
Plus Gotboost and I are going to discuss Turbo mod for my wife's Lexus SUV next. I know it's sort of off topic though.
Nothing is off topic here, IT is the TOPIC! let's hear it all.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by KA 997TT
Has anyone tried the TPC Racing bars? I looked at their products and they have a 4 way adjustable ones for the rear, this has got to be a bit stiffer if i were to go this route.
Is there a point where you do not want to cross when it comes to torsion spring rate on these cars?
Most definitely yes! There are 3 issues involved with sway bar settings:
1. Handling (oversteer/understeer)
2. Ride/stiffness/road contact
3. Anti roll effect

For 1, it's a balance between front and rear stiffness. Too stiff in the rear and you car would have too much oversteer. You want just right oversteer, not too much oversteer. Too much oversteer could be dangerous in the wrong hands. Like us amateurs.

For 2, remember in some way the sway bar could make your car behave like a solid rear axle. Too stiff and certainly you could decrease the tires' road contact. That is, when you hit a bump at high speed, car goes airborne instead of following the road surface.

3 is self explanatory.

The GMG sway is the only sway on the market that provides some degree of rating.
Like I said, I don't know how we are expected to buy sway bars when no spec is every provided by any vendor? To me, GMG's percentage method is a great start and I hope other vendors would follow.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Porsche OEM bars
Front 23.0 thinwall tube (non-adjust.)
Rear 23.0 thinwall tube (non-adjust.)

Old 09-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
Cannaga - what is the diameter of the stock bars? I dont know off the top of my head. The Agency Power front bar is 25mm and the rear is 25mm.
Dan, I don't know what the stock sway's diameters are.
In addition, as already mentioned, so many other factors influence the sway torsion stiffness (material, length of sway, length of lever arm -where the holes are, construction - hollow versus solid, etc., etc.) that just stating the thickness means so very little!

You have great resource and I am certain what we (the consumers) are requesting -- specs of Agency Power sway bar in comparison to stock, in percentage stiffness increase for example -- could be done in minutes by the engineeers. GMG does it; I think so should everyone else.
Thanks for investigating this.

Last edited by cannga; 09-09-2009 at 12:13 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who has the stiffest rear adjustable sway bar?