997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 turbo resale values as good as 993 turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 AM
vtandon is infamous around these partsvtandon is infamous around these partsvtandon is infamous around these parts
997 turbo resale values as good as 993 turbo?

Since Porsche dicided to go away with the GT1 engines block in the 2010 Porsche Turbo. Will the 07-09 Turbo have better resale value long term. I guess the change from the GT1 motor to the new motor would be similar to when Porsche went from aircooled to water cooled motors.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I think it will personally, maybe a bit less % wise vs. the 993 but decent vs. the 996. I will reserve final judgement until I see production numbers for the 997Turbo, if they made enough it could hamper resale no matter what.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I believe the combination of great looks, GT1 dry sump engine, and the G50 transmission will make the 997.1tt more desired in the future.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:47 PM
SVTHorsnake will become famous soon enoughSVTHorsnake will become famous soon enough
I diagree. In large part, the 993 is maintaining resale value on its own merit, but also, because so many people thought the 996 is just ugly. The 2010 is gorgous, and the tail lights and single lug hubs will be very desirable. Further, going between two different engine platforms is a far cry from having a 60 year history as air cooled, and going water cooled.

I see the logic, and would like to think so, but I just don't see it as near the same thing.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 PM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
I diagree. In large part, the 993 is maintaining resale value on its own merit, but also, because so many people thought the 996 is just ugly. The 2010 is gorgous, and the tail lights and single lug hubs will be very desirable. Further, going between two different engine platforms is a far cry from having a 60 year history as air cooled, and going water cooled.

I see the logic, and would like to think so, but I just don't see it as near the same thing.
let me know when tailights and center locking hubs add to your resale

Its pretty obvious, if you are a porsche guy and you are a knowledgeable buyer then you'll go used until Porsche addresses our concerns about the new motor and its tested for many years on the track.

If you are the "typical" magazine buyer, then you'll buy your new Turbo, drive it 1200 miles over 18 months, dump it for a major loss and drive off in a new 2013 at sticker.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:13 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
I bought a virgin '09 TT because of the reasons mentioned above. I believe it's a keeper and I intent to keep it for a while. For some reason, I feel like this is the last "true to the bone" Porsche that we will ever have...

Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 PM
RUFLUV is on a distinguished road
Dont bet on it..

Old 09-15-2009, 07:16 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
The value in the 993tt is in the production numbers , about 2 to 3 k made a year for 2 years ,versus ten of thousands of 996tt ,and not sure of 997tt production numbers but i'm sure there going to be up there.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:38 PM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
993 is and will be much better than 997. Had 2 993 turbos and made $30K on the first and about 3k on the second. Lost about 40K on 997 with very low mileage. Good luck! Drive them like you stole them and don't sweat resale.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:05 AM
freeman is on a distinguished road
997.1 turbo would have better resale than 996 turbo for sure,but obviously not comparable to 993 turbo. 993 turbo is more desirable due to its rareness ,classic look,and last gen air cooled engine.

Unfortunately, most used car buyers are not knowledgeable enough to know the difference between GT1 blcok and the new 3.8. Most of them would automatically assume that the 3.8 motor is superior in everyway as a upgrade and replacement unit from porsche.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 AM
Broker404 will become famous soon enoughBroker404 will become famous soon enough
I think that all 911 turbos 2001+ will simply be worth more the newer they get.

Other than the GT1 block, (which I think in the long run most buyers won't be swayed into buying a different car other than the 997.2 TT) it seems that since the cars are the same concept, just being refined and evolving slightly each update, there won't be any reason to desire an older model.

I think a similar situation is the C5-C6 corvette. The newer models just keep getting more and more refined, with no negative aspects to these changes.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:43 PM
SVTHorsnake will become famous soon enoughSVTHorsnake will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JZRS4
let me know when tailights and center locking hubs add to your resale
The same way the 996 headlights made them less desirable than 993s and 997s?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:57 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
The same way the 996 headlights made them less desirable than 993s and 997s?
Yes the headlights were a big issue but more to the point they changed the classic lines of the 911. There was always a clear separation between the start of the cabin and the front of the car, and then it sloped back to the rear, the 996 tried to shape all of that away, make it more flowing, but as a result created a design that wasnt a true 911, so while it looked good when it first came out, it also didnt age well because after it became an old used car it wasn't as distinct to the 911 heritage.

If you look at the profile of a 997 (not just a turbo) you will notice it has more of the classic lines, and if you look at the wide body 997s you will notice it has a greater emphasis on the flared hips, whil the 996 wide bodies tried again to shape it out and smooth it out.

I think the 997 will have good resale, and I think that a well maintained 997 will command a decent price in 10 years time.

The 993's advantage really comes from the fact that the car weighs a lot less and so it feels like a classic car. Like all cars from a by-gone era that werent hogs on the road.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Accurate production numbers......

993TT: 1,800
996TT: 8,000

The 997TT is ALREADY depreciating at a FASTER clip than the 996TT, because of the production numbers, sluggish economy, and increased competition in the same $ category.

I'm like you guys that the '09 is the last true TT by an independent Porsche, but the values will be diluted by the increased hp, slightly better looks, and PDK. Most buyers won't care about the engine change. And the GT3 grabs some of the attention as well, that the 993TT didn't have to contend with.

So the net-net is no, there won't be a premium for the '07-'09

Want an investment Porsche? Grab a 1994 3.6 964T, less than 400 production.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't bet on it. I imagine the new Porsche engine will be a powerful and reliable machine. If there ends up being problems related to the new engine design, then this might affect resale.

John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo resale values as good as 993 turbo?