997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 Turbo vs GTR

Old 11-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Guibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond reputeGuibo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kp117
There is a crucial difference between COST and WORTH. Just because Porche overcharges for the Turbo does not mean its worth $75,000 more than a GTR.

You've been had.
If people keep buying Turbos at MSRP (as they have been), what is Porsche's incentive to lower the price? They have none, and are pricing it according to free market principles of supply vs. demand. One thing to keep in mind is that it was reported last year that Nissan loses money on the GT-R. I have no doubt that Porsche makes a fat profit on the Turbo.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:27 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Guibo
No it doesn't. This test shows that (according to this German magazine) stock for stock, the GT-R is better.
I reckon a Turbo on Pilot Sport Cups and ceramic brakes would be faster than the GT-R, but there's no way these two cars should even be that close in the first place: it shouldn't come down to tires.
It's better if trunk space matters, and points are given for stuff no one who buys a Turbo cares about. No way the two cars should be that close? Those Dunlops make up several seconds over street tires. It really NOT close. The GT-R gets abused without them.

The point is, let's focus on the cars and the handling, acceleration etc. And the Turbo is clearly better at all of them.

This magazine test is like old best motoring videos when the J-spec cars got R-comps and everyone else got crappy old worn out tires. The Turbo does not need ceramic brakes to beat the GT-R, not even close.

You keep saying this, but do you have any real proof?
-C&D picked up 3-4 seconds in the lightning lap by going from Bridgestones to Dunlops
-Randy Pobst Drove the R888 and Dunlop to the same exact time
-Some guy in australia did the same thing
-BOTH liked the Dunlops balance better
-The R888 sidewall could not hold the weight of the GT-R up and the grip is similar, making the Dunlop the better tire for the GT-R since it's runflat

Since when does the cost of a car have anything to do with being a BETTER car? The cost of the car has nothing to do with how good the car actually is yet is used as a basis for this test.

So the fanboys can get it right, using this criteria and scale, the GT-R may be a better buy for some people, which is undeniable, but by no means does this test say it's a better car.

But I wouldn't expect you guys to understand that.

The GT-R chassis is whack, and without the help of extra grippy tires to cover the flaws, everyone would know it.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold

First test I have seen:
GT-R 997 turbo PDK
Result: 1. 2.
0-100 3.8 3.2
0-160 7.9 6.8
0-200 12.2 10.4

The new 500bhp 997 Turbo PDK is really fast...

Old 11-29-2009, 06:16 AM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Street Tires to semi slicks is ~ 3seconds and Semi Slicks to full slicks is about 3s. You'd know that if you actually drove on them.
So slicks are worth 6s/minute. Jeez, it's a good job an SR8 LM doesn't use slicks, it'd be faster than Bellof's 956.

What we do know is that both the GT-R and ZR-1 Tires have the grip of Semi Slicks as they are hybrid tires. The GT-R Dunlops have proven that in back to back testing with R888's.
What we do know is that you keep quoting these 'facts' without any proof. Hell, let me give you an example of you: "If the GTR had ZR1 tyres it would be 3s/minute faster, putting its 'ring time near 7 minutes dead." See, it reads as BS. It's entirely unreasonable from any standpoint of objectivity. Not to mention that your quibbling over tyres is pathetic when the 911 tested already has $8500 worth of go-fast options.

The Z06's weakest link is the tires, put it on ZR-1 tires and it would be as fast. The fastest stock ZR-1 1/4 mile is only a tenth (or less faster than the Z06). In back to back testing the ZR-1 has only been 2 seconds per lap quicker on better tires.

All of this has already been proven.

You lose.

Oh god, here we get to the infamous stock ZR1/Z06 times. Without going into too much detail, whilst they're close on ET, the trap speed is nowhere near.

So what you really are saying is that GM could have forgot about the LS9, the CCB brakes, the suspension and the closer ratio gearbox and just gone with different tyres? In fact you're saying that GM actually made the car worse and only the tyres made it look better? This is some good stuff. Please invert yourself before addressing us any further.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 AM
BD-
Banned
BD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to beholdBD- is a splendid one to behold
Funny watching the fanboys grovel.

The GT-R needs R-comps to keep up with the Turbo on street tires. In fact the R8 would have beat the GT-R too if they were on equal tires. GT-R = overrated,
Dunlops = Underrated.

As I've said before it might as well be called the Dunlop/Bridgestone GT-R, because that's the only reason it's fast.

bye.
The 911 Turbo needs 600hp stock to 'not quite' catch the GTR on track.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:21 AM
BD-
Banned
Lol.

The GTR won the freaking comparo. You are too busy making excuses for why a factory spec GTR is faster than a turbo.

If I put Dunlops on my Lexus will that make it as faster than a turbo too?

Heavyfanboy... you are the master of convoluted excuses.
Looking at other results, if I put Michelin Sport Cups on an Audi TT RS, it will be as fast as a 997 GT2 or GT3.2 (according to heavychevy).

Old 11-29-2009, 06:29 AM
BD-
Banned
Is that car anything like the street car though?
It's as much like the street car as any Porsche racer in a similar field.

Brawn GP. Red Bull Racing. They had F1 wins last year, yet how does that translate to their road cars. Oh, wait. Nevermind.
A+ Good strawman, would read again. Bring F1 cars into the discussion. The cars most unlike any road out of all racing classes.

Expensive for Porsche, maybe. Not for the customer.
The engine is in the right place in some respects. People have been saying it's in the wrong place for decades, yet rear-engined Porsches still keep getting faster.
It's faster than a GTR in a straightline, some 15% faster now, proving that it has way over 500hp, yet it's still barely staying in touch on track and is way out on Slalom. It's plain to see that the car's layout doesn't do it any favours in the handling department.

Not to mention, adding Pilot Sport Cups and ceramic brakes to a Turbo pushes the cost to about $160,000. A GTR is 87k out the door.

Disgraceful
Yep. I mean the car tested already has $8500 worth of go-faster stuff on it. PDK - $4.5k, Sport Chrono - $4k. Add Sport Cup Tyres and CCB brakes and you have added the monetary equivalent of a Switzer P800 upgrade to a car that's already almost twice the price. The GTR is way down at $75k without any options. None of the options actually make it any quicker either. For less than $160k you could have a Mines spec R35.

Last edited by BD-; 11-29-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:32 AM
PRS 7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
Kofferraumvolumen:

GT-R: 19 points
997TT: 0 Points

for those who don`t know: Kofferaumvolumen means trunk space

so the 997TT mainly lost because of the price and the Kofferraumvolumen,
Right.

The GT-R is what it is...and it is not for me. Not spitting on the car BTW. One can't deny the bang for the buck factor.

Did it get any bonus points for electronic gadgets/wizardry?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:43 AM
BD-
Banned
Since when does the cost of a car have anything to do with being a BETTER car? The cost of the car has nothing to do with how good the car actually is yet is used as a basis for this test.

So the fanboys can get it right, using this criteria and scale, the GT-R may be a better buy for some people, which is undeniable, but by no means does this test say it's a better car.
Sure it does, "GTR - 1st, 911 Turbo - 2nd," it's right there in black and white.

Originally Posted by heavycheerleader
But I wouldn't expect you guys to understand that.

The GT-R chassis is whack, and without the help of extra grippy tires to cover the flaws, everyone would know it.
Funny but I don't see any modded Porsche Turbos as quick as a Mines GTR with any type of street rubber on. And good luck in advance for when you come to trying to run 1.5bar with a 9.8:1 compression ratio.

If people keep buying Turbos at MSRP (as they have been), what is Porsche's incentive to lower the price? They have none, and are pricing it according to free market principles of supply vs. demand. One thing to keep in mind is that it was reported last year that Nissan loses money on the GT-R. I have no doubt that Porsche makes a fat profit on the Turbo.
Yet their *** is still bankrupt.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:07 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Ha! This is a stupid thread. I believe the original poster is trying to stir some stuff up and he failed.
You are so correct. When Auto Express ranked the gen. II Cayman S over the GTR, I was pleased but certainly understood I would accomplish nothing by posting it on NAGTROC. It has stirred up some stuff, but all in fun.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
Myself, I could give a Rats A$$ what the magazine article said. Is it going to make you run out and sell your turbo??? I think not. I think the GTR is a cool car with it's own following and it's fast etc....everyone knows it's virtues. BUT in the end, it is not going to make folks run out and dump their P -cars to get one. It would be nice to have one along side the turbo actually but that is not within my reach, so I live with the fact that some stupid magazine editor said my car was #2 in their test....BIG DEAL! Jeeeze, now I have to live with the stigma that not only is my car #2 to the GTR, but it's also a tiptronic to boot!! LOL

Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BD-
The 911 Turbo needs 600hp stock to 'not quite' catch the GTR on track.
Do you not understand that more grip from tires will do far more than HP ever will. Take a stock Evo and add 100 hp, then take a stock evo and add slicks, which do you think will would be faster?

Trick question. But you don't really know anything so I wouldn't expect you to get it.

The REALITY of it is that you'd have a much harder time going faster by adding hp than you will by adding grip from the tires. 3-6 seconds is easy to get with tires, not so much with hp.

Let's delve into your track experience and see what kinds of tires you've driven on........

Last edited by heavychevy; 11-29-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
Right on the money Swoody. I think BD is trying to get Porsche owners to dump their cars for a GT-R, which is never going to happen. Sounds like a desperate Nissan sales rep to me! In the end, there's a fan of one over the other or both, but you will never see Porsche owners "downgrade". If anything you'll see the exact opposite.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Beyond underscoring that I can't read German, I am not sure what the take-home message is supposed to be. The 997.2TT is faster and the reviewers chose the GT-R is about all I could figure out.

My friend has a GT-R and it is a great car but both he and I would rather own something different.
like what if you dont mind i ask?
and i couldn't read that info as well

Old 11-29-2009, 08:44 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Talking Funniest comment I've seen in awhile....+1

Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
Kofferraumvolumen:

GT-R: 19 points
997TT: 0 Points

for those who don`t know: Kofferaumvolumen means trunk space

so the 997TT mainly lost because of the price and the Kofferraumvolumen,
oh man.... this had me rolling in my office...., that was funny.... that sums it up perfectly... Porsche lost because of trunk space....who needs it anyway, in a sports car, there is a little though....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Turbo vs GTR