997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Short Shifter, iPod & XM integration installations on 997 Turbo by G Rides

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor
Gary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond repute
Short Shifter, iPod & XM integration installations on 997 Turbo by G Rides

Installed Porsche Short Shifter, perfect factory fit offering about a 30% reduction in shifter throws.

Short Shifter is on the left, overall height is the same but notice the pivot point is higher.

Install almost complete here, there's some gorgeous Carbon Fiber on the E-Brake under that blue tape, got to keep that stuff safe.

iPod integrated to the factory Porsche PCM using this Dension unit.

iPod connects/docks in the ashtray space.

XM integrates to the factory Porsche PCM also, using Porsche components. On the left is the new antenna for the XM & Navigation on the right is the stock antenna for just the Navigation.

Needed to trim one of the tabs of the new antenna so it would fit.

This is where the antenna goes, which is under the cowl which is by the windshield and the wipers.

Here's the new antenna installed in the cowl, a little trimming needed to be done but I kept it clean.

This is where that antenna is, under the cowl just above the cabin filter.

So here's the bonnet without carpet or trim pieces so the wires may be run and the XM and iPod components may be installed. Notice the blue tape on the passenger side above the Amp and Navigation DVD Drive, that's where the components are going.

I prefer not to drill holes in the metal of the car if it can be avoided so I found some grommets to run the wires through and sealed them back up when done.

Here's the bonnet put back together, with this install it still looks stock. That little door to the top passenger side is where the XM & iPod components are.

Here are those components behind that door taking up what was a little cubby space. It was a tight fit but it worked out and still have access to USB ports and controls of the those components when needed. I would have like the wires to be a little neater but those orange wires are fiber optic and can not be trimmed or bent sharply.

iPod Dock.

XM integrated and controlled through PCM.

iPod integrated and also controlled through PCM.

Optional iPod Connection in the Glove Box, just need to change a connection for the iPod cords.

I need to thank Eric over at Bumper Plugs who supplied the Dension and offered awesome Tech Support and Customer Service. I also want to thank this customer for the work, we really appreciate your business.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Cool, will the sat setup work in an 07 car? I currently have the dennison unit as well.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Former Vendor
Gary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond reputeGary@G Rides has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Cool, will the sat setup work in an 07 car? I currently have the dennison unit as well.
Thank you. I'd have to check to be certain. The XM integration is a Porsche component, just need to see if 07 car is any different pertaining to these components. If it does work, I believe you'd be able to just daisy chain it to your dension and change the satellite antenna.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:14 PM
insp185 is on a distinguished road
G Rides did a great job of installing these options on my 08 997TT. The workmanship and care to detail was awesome. Having the iPod integration and the XM radio makes the driving experience even better. The short shifter was a huge improvement. Thanks Gary for a first class job.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Former Vendor
insp185 what can I say, thanks for all your continued trust and business, really appreciated.

TT Surgeon it looks like the XM integration should work for you. This one was bought from Sunset Porsche, Part#: 95504490267

Old 12-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Nasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant futureNasser has a brilliant future
Thats a Good Jop !

Old 12-04-2009, 09:38 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Slick and tidy installs! Thanks for documenting the whole process. Bookmarking this one for future reference, should an 07-08 Turbo come my way in 2010. The iPod and XM features would be great additions.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 PM
xc17pilot is on a distinguished road
Very nice install. I have an 02 996 TT so do you know if the ipod electronics would work with the stock 02 stereo (OEM Porsche/Becker CDR-220 in dash CD player/radio/stereo unit)?

Also in the market to upgrade the stock 996 shifter, interested in selling the one you removed if it is in good shape? Part number I'm looking for is 997 424 010 00.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by xc17pilot
Very nice install. I have an 02 996 TT so do you know if the ipod electronics would work with the stock 02 stereo (OEM Porsche/Becker CDR-220 in dash CD player/radio/stereo unit)?

Also in the market to upgrade the stock 996 shifter, interested in selling the one you removed if it is in good shape? Part number I'm looking for is 997 424 010 00.

Thanks in advance.
Thank you xc17pilot. I don't believe the Dension unit will work with the Becker as the Dension runs off the fiber optic chain which I don't think is found on your Becker CDR-220. I checked with Nav-TV and they don't have an iPod integration for that unit either. Have you considered a new Headunit? The only other option I'm thinking of would be an iPod FM radio transmitter interface which isn't the cleanest best sounding but an option.

I'll look around for a shifter for you, will be installing another Short Shifter Next week.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:20 PM
xc17pilot is on a distinguished road
OK. I agree, the FM transmitter is not the look. I'll hold off on that for now.

Let me know on the 997 shifter, appreciate the reply!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Former Vendor
OK. I agree, the FM transmitter is not the look. I'll hold off on that for now.

Let me know on the 997 shifter, appreciate the reply!
Have a look at this for iPod integration:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pre-most.html

Old 12-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Former Vendor
More info here which may help you out xc17pilot: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...installed.html

Old 12-17-2009, 12:47 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Well done Gary.... and glad you're liking the EVOMSit software too Ken! Got one just like this here today (an 08).....

Old 12-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Nice final product, Gary!

And for anyone with Dension questions, email me anytime.

eric@bumperplugs.com

The Gateway 500 unit on our Order page works with MANY makes/models (Porsche, Audi, MB, BWM, Saab, Cooper, and we even did a Rolls not long ago!).

Old 12-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Former Vendor

Thanks in advance.
The Shifter removed is part #: 997.424.010.00 which I believe is what you're looking for. If interested in buying one please let me know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter, iPod & XM integration installations on 997 Turbo by G Rides