997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

No more base Turbo's, just S's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
12:03 has a spectacular aura about12:03 has a spectacular aura about
57 grand just for options??? Ugh...

who in their RIGHT mind would pay 200k for a new Turbo Cab when a lightly used (read less than 2500 miles) GT2 is 150?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:12 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I went to the LA Auto Show yesterday and had a lot of fun. I think people are getting confused because the two Turbos that Porsche had on display looked very similar. However the Cab had Cocoa interior as shown below.
The Turbo CABRIOLET w/Cocoa interior

The Buildsheet for above car

The Cocoa color interior of the above car

The Turbo COUPE pictured below had the red interior

I hope that clarifies any confusion. On another note, when I was there, the Boxster Spyder still had the top in the up position. It's a great looking car and the top was a very odd and unique design, but befitting of a modern take on a spyder which is designed to rarely have the top up. I didn't take any pix of it, so unfortunately I can't add anything, but I sure fell in love with the GT3RS they had. Oh and this awesome Cup Car, you can see the Above talked about Turbo Cab in the backround.

Thanks TWTurbo for the use of your pix lol

Old 12-06-2009, 08:39 PM
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 911dev
Yeah, a lot of dough for turbos these days. if I were shopping for one, I'd give serious thought to an S. PDK will really make the .2 turbo and is a must have, imo. So PDK, PCCBs and X50 would add about $30k to a base model. I imagine Porsche will give offer CLs as standard. Judging from the 996 turbo S, there is value in the S as the options were cheaper with that car than they were ordering them on a base turbo. Geez, 539 HP w/PDK and PCCBs; it gets me all excited.

It'll def be wicked car and is an indicator of how good the 991 turbo will be. Although one would have to wait until 2012 for a MY2013 991 turbo.
Are you referring to center lock wheels when you say "CL"? that's an example where i actually prefer the stock wheels to those (at least from an appearance standpoint).

How much more do we think the S is going to be? If one assumes PDK, PCCB, PTV, and Sport Chrono are all standard, that's about $18k of options. So if the S is $30k more, you'd be paying about $12k for the bigger engine (barring no other major things included). in my case, i wasn't getting the pccb's, so it's really like $20k over what i initially spec'd out and planned on spending, which would put it over $185k. That's pushing it Porsche. You get to that level, and it makes one consider other cars.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
bond will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by trice9
which would put it over $185k. That's pushing it Porsche. You get to that level, and it makes one consider other cars.
Like a nice low mileage Ithaca Verde green LP560-4?..... you are right, at what point do you bump to the next level?

Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=trice9;2644345]Are you referring to center lock wheels when you say "CL"? that's an example where i actually prefer the stock wheels to those (at least from an appearance standpoint).

How much more do we think the S is going to be? If one assumes PDK, PCCB, PTV, and Sport Chrono are all standard, that's about $18k of options. So if the S is $30k more, you'd be paying about $12k for the bigger engine (barring no other major things included). in my case, i wasn't getting the pccb's, so it's really like $20k over what i initially spec'd out and planned on spending, which would put it over $185k. That's pushing it Porsche. You get to that level, and it makes one consider other cars.[/quote]

I am in for more than this in my modded car . In fact -I have decided not to buy another Turbo (probably ever) as much as i love my car . I just feel that it's too much money to plop onto the road shared with the lowest common denominator of drivers . I am going to keep my Turbo for as long as it either a) is reliable or b) stays healthy .

I even went out and bought another porsche -- a 997S with a 20 percent discount and use that car daily. The Turbo is the car I favor more with the exception of daily use and basic road handling . The Turbo will cream the 997S on a straight run , or in the rain, or on a roll , but the 997S will tear it apart in cornering .

More than the drive or what the car offers the 997S is a better value . I can buy two 997S cars for the price of your Turbo cab but the biggest draw is how badly the current Turbo has depreciated . To see it priced at nearly 200K and know that in a years time you might get 120K in trade is amost nauseating .

I do not feel that the Lambo or Ferrai are better cars . They are for those who want glitz and the ego stroke of "look at me" attention. It's not that they don't drive well . it's that everything from it's seating, it's shift patterns, it's difficulty to repair, and the lack of organized instructions to aid technicians are a huge negative . Plus -- drive an exotic daily and the depreciation will plummet with miles .

Buying a Turbo in 2007 in that economy was very different than buying one in the current time . 200K for a car that will be worth much less a year from now only to face a complete redesign in the somewhat near future sounds expensive .. BUT if you are going to get it .. the "s" is the way to go . If you opt out .. the money is left in yoir pocket and time is always on your side . Buy the car in two years for 85K . You still get to have it .. just not being the first and specd to your exact taste.

Last edited by yrralis1; 12-06-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by twturbo
Saw these 2010 turbos at the LA Auto show today neither one had s badging just reg turbo script on the back ,check out the price on the cab at $200k sounds like you got a deal at $167k ,sorry pics a little blurry brown car is the cab.One change i noticed that may not show in pics is the side mirrors a way bigger now.
That is the car I sat in after the German Porsche Fellow configured my Coupe Turbo, you can check out the entire post I made about it at RennList. It was a fun experience, much better than going to the Dealership and having a salesman trying to sell you something with high pressure sales tactics. If anyone ever gets the chance it is the way to go. And by the way, you still can do Euro Delivery, no matter what your dealer says!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...auto-show.html

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 12-07-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about
Just got the call from my dealer as well. I had a Feb. build slot for the TT. Now it seems it is not going to happen... . I guess Porsche wants to make even more profit by pushing the "S". I'm not willing to pay that much more....

Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 PM
trice9 will become famous soon enoughtrice9 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by trice9
So, got some frustrating news today. I had placed my order and deposit about a month ago for a turbo cab. I was next in line at my dealer, so I would get the first allocation they got for the Feb-July production run. We've been waiting the last few weeks to get the allocations from PCNA. In the last 48 hours, PCNA has delivered the dealer allocations for Feb-July. My dealer got ZERO turbo allocations, but they did get 2 S allocations. I wasn't happy because 1) rather than getting a Feb build, the first S build date is April (although it's going to be a MY11), and 2) I'm not sure I want the S - or better put, not sure I want to pay the extra $$.

I called four other dealers (big ones) to see what they got for allocations and was ready to give someone else some business (my deposit is obviously refundable). None of them got "base" turbo allocations, just a few S allocations. Two of them told me Porsche is only making the S from here on.

Frustrated and not sure what to believe. Few questions:

1) Has anyone heard anything on this matter? Does it make sense that they would only build S's? Would they take a break from "base" turbo's, then start producing them again in 6 or 9 months? Would they really only build S's for the next few years until the new turbo comes out? I don't understand their strategy.

2) What do we know about the S? Speculation has been that it will have about 530 hp, PDK, ceramics (I was getting PDK, not the ceramics, and don't need the extra 30 hp)? What else? Any changes to exterior or interior? I like the turbo the way it is, i'm nervous they will make a change that I don't like. What about cost? How much more? What were the features and price difference the last time Porsche made an S? If the first S's are being built in April, when will more info become publicly available? Hard for me to commit to an S not knowing this info and tired of being in limbo and waiting. Other options would be to buy one of the turbo's on their way over now for inventory - problem is the ones I've seen aren't exactly what I want and I really wanted to build it exactly to my specs, so I'm not crazy about this option. Other option is to buy a non-Porsche. If the S is going to get close to $180k, this option becomes more appealing (my cab was spec'd out at $167k and not really willing to add another $10-$15k).

Maybe this is why Porsche is in financial trouble. They have customers that want to spend $160k on their cars, and yet they can't fill the order. Never thought it would be so hard to find a dealer to take my money.
Quick update with some good news. my dealer found a turbo cab allocation. it's my understanding that there are less than 20 for the US for the Feb-July production run. There are some S allocations you can get your hands on, but for non S turbo slots to spec out, they are virtually non-existent (trust me, i spoke to many dealers during this process). i got lucky. anyway, not only did i get an allocation, i got a feb build. can't wait.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
get the "S", they are superior to the base model in many ways.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 AM
GT2 Mike has a spectacular aura aboutGT2 Mike has a spectacular aura about
I agree as well.. I would get the " S " at the bare minimum anyways.