997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

12 Turbo vs Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:11 PM
armauro is on a distinguished road
12 Turbo vs Turbo S

Frustrated shopping for these cars for sure- is it a mistake to buy a non S car- some very clean examples out there MSRP around 155 vs almost 170 for S cars. Is the 30hp worth so much more- Are people avoiding the new TT in favor of the S also with a large price difference.
Ballpark a low mileage 12 TT car value- 115?
Thanks

Old 02-21-2014, 02:35 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
I was unable to tell the difference between the two from the drivers seat, 30hp is just not enough bump in power for the money.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
sg997tt will become famous soon enoughsg997tt will become famous soon enough
I asked similar questions before my purchase as well. There certainly are a host of additional equipment that make the "S" more valuable than stock - question is how much more valuable and how much the equipment (PCCB, Engine Mounts, TQ Vectoring, HP, etc) is of importance to you.

If you are going to chip the car - the HP difference is irrelevant as the chip equalizes the 2.

As a used car - I went with the Turbo S for the following: The additional equipment was worh the 12K addtional price (used prices) for me. More Turbo S had also additional option equipment (CF, Leather, etc) that I was interested in than the stock turbo's that were for sale. Not always -but often. Finally the cache of having the "S" was worth a couple $$ to me - knowing that I truly had the king of the hill for the given year. I also do believe that that will continue to hold true for resale in the future - ie "s" will continue to have a higher desire than non-s.
Having said all of that - if there was a great price on a standard turbo that had some the S equipment "Tq Vectoring, PCCB" for a great price - I would have easily been happy living without the "s".

Old 02-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the interesting feedback

Old 02-21-2014, 04:13 PM
MDCARR76 is on a distinguished road
I completely agree w sg997tt. I looked around for 2010-2012 turbos and S. I finally found what I wanted last weekend a 2011 Turbo S. Nice to have all options u want for small price difference (relative used...).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	337324  
Old 02-21-2014, 05:51 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Been looking for a '10 because the features of a regular car are plenty, even without the s. However, check the listings. There seem to be more 11s listed than 10s! And probably even more s' s. Why is that? I guess 3 years is the typical cycle, so maybe there are more for that reason. Perhaps the turbo s is a likely trade in on a 991 turbo. I'm even thinking there might be some downward pressure on tts prices. I see them coming down quite a bit. The op mentions $115k. S prices are barely there, mostly 125-135k. But this is really a comment on slipping prices. The s may be the best value, but I think price levels are dicey right now. '10s are definitely available under the magic 6 figures, although most are listed above that.

Also, many s cars have stickers of 190k, especially cabs!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:28 PM
docfink is on a distinguished road
All good comments...However, I wanted a manual with the short shift kit, so my option was simple--no "S". I benefited from knowing the previous owner of my car, and considering it had all the options I would want (full leather, PTV, Sport Chrono, etc.), it was a no brainer for me. There were no issues with the 2010s, the first year of the 997.2TT engine and suspensions changes, so I felt confident that the first year run was okay.

Prices on these will keep falling, until about 20 years or so...then people will want them again (can you say, "964"??). While I would love to have a car increase in value while I own it, I've never been lucky enough to experience that, so I'm sure that won't change...but I'll take the deprecation and enjoy the "snick-snick" of that SSK. It is seriously fun, even if it's slower than the PDK.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 PM
I'm even thinking there might be some downward pressure on tts prices. I see them coming down quite a bit. The op mentions $115k. S prices are barely there, mostly 125-135k. But this is really a comment on slipping prices. The s may be the best value, but I think price levels are dicey right now.

I meant 115 for a 12 TT non s-- I agree about the 11s- coming off lease?not much warranty left unless cpo- I see high asking prices but where transactions happen could be something else- so many no mileage cars for sale also- 3k-5k seems very common in 2 year old cars. I know one guy who paid 135 for a 13 yet Ray Catena is asking 149 for theirs. These are s cars yet many people on autotrader with non s asking the same $ as s owners.
I have been unable to buy a 2012 TT S with low or no miles for 125- people want 127-132. Found a nice 11 with 5k TT S but seller thinks it is worth 125-128.

Last edited by armauro; 02-21-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: change
Old 02-21-2014, 07:11 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sg997tt
I asked similar questions before my purchase as well. There certainly are a host of additional equipment that make the "S" more valuable than stock - question is how much more valuable and how much the equipment (PCCB, Engine Mounts, TQ Vectoring, HP, etc) is of importance to you.

If you are going to chip the car - the HP difference is irrelevant as the chip equalizes the 2.

As a used car - I went with the Turbo S for the following: The additional equipment was worh the 12K addtional price (used prices) for me. More Turbo S had also additional option equipment (CF, Leather, etc) that I was interested in than the stock turbo's that were for sale. Not always -but often. Finally the cache of having the "S" was worth a couple $$ to me - knowing that I truly had the king of the hill for the given year. I also do believe that that will continue to hold true for resale in the future - ie "s" will continue to have a higher desire than non-s.
Having said all of that - if there was a great price on a standard turbo that had some the S equipment "Tq Vectoring, PCCB" for a great price - I would have easily been happy living without the "s".
+1 ^^ I went through the exact same dilemna just recently. I personally don't think the additional 30HP alone is worth the premium, however the list of standard options on the "S" vs "non-S" begins to justify the premium but only if you really want these options (e.g., PCCB. the standard brakes are more than adequate and much cheaper to replace when worn although I've heard they give off much more brake dust than the ceramics!! There's always a trade-off...)

I focused on my "must have options" and decided which model "non-S" vs. "S" gave me better value. On pricing, TT/S pricing is all over the place, affected by geography, options list, mileage and especially dealer profit targets. I found the sweet spot for low mileage (<6K miles) "non-S" in the $118K - $124K range and low mileage "S" in the $128K - $135K.

Good luck with your search, it's half the full (and all the headache)!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Dealers know the market is sketchy too. Dealer offered $80k for an 11tts with 38k miles. Lots of miles but crazy pricing. I've seen others listed under 100k.

Check the listings though. More 11s than 10s.

Also, I agree about the pleasure of a manual. I have short shift kit in mine too. However, the manual .2 turbos don't move on the lots. I'm also sure they made a lot more pdks than manuals. Manuals are definitely cheaper to buy, but will certainly have resale issues.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:09 PM
docfink is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ryem3
Dealers know the market is sketchy too. Dealer offered $80k for an 11tts with 38k miles. Lots of miles but crazy pricing. I've seen others listed under 100k.

Check the listings though. More 11s than 10s.

Also, I agree about the pleasure of a manual. I have short shift kit in mine too. However, the manual .2 turbos don't move on the lots. I'm also sure they made a lot more pdks than manuals. Manuals are definitely cheaper to buy, but will certainly have resale issues.
I can't predict the future, but how many .2TT manuals are even out there? My guess is someone out there will always want a manual, and with fewer of them available, I'm not worried about resale.

Hell, if you're worried about resale value, we're in the wrong hobby...that being said, what if you keep it five years, and it drops $25k from what you paid--BFD. You just drove a 500hp Porsche for $25K for five years. I'd say that's a win, no matter how you slice it.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 PM
golfnut is on a distinguished road
I picked up a 2011 TTS last December for $126K, CPO, 2,700 miles, pretty well loaded. it was about $7K discount from the dealer's asking price. I could not find a similar non-S asking much less than $118K-125K. When I came across mine with the color combo I liked, I figured S was worth few thousand more compared to about $20-25K more when new. The price does not seem to have dropped much, if at all, over the past 2 months but it will.

There are more TTS than TT for sale when you look at 2011-13 model years. This also appears to be true for new 991s. I don't have the official numbers but based on observation of various dealer listings.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 PM
No intention to slight a manual in any way. They are difficult to find, true. In the .2 car, they are just not as much in demand. Compared to a .1 tip, which is also not as desirable.
I love to shift, but in a .2 I'd probably go pdk. If you're looking for a 6 speed, you can probably get a reasonable deal on a .2

Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by golfnut
I picked up a 2011 TTS last December for $126K, CPO, 2,700 miles, pretty well loaded. it was about $7K discount from the dealer's asking price. I could not find a similar non-S asking much less than $118K-125K. When I came across mine with the color combo I liked, I figured S was worth few thousand more compared to about $20-25K more when new. The price does not seem to have dropped much, if at all, over the past 2 months but it will.

There are more TTS than TT for sale when you look at 2011-13 model years. This also appears to be true for new 991s. I don't have the official numbers but based on observation of various dealer listings.
I'm sure that is a great car. Always a bit of a premium for nearly new mileage.

Once the tts came out, they made way more tts than regular turbos. With the 991, they also will make more tts than regular turbos.

These cars hold their value very well, but no way a $110k car is worth only 25k less after 5 years. More like $40-50k less.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 PM
golfnut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ryem3
These cars hold their value very well, but no way a $110k car is worth only 25k less after 5 years. More like $40-50k less.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that asking price on used TTS seem to be not a whole lot more than non-S 2012-13 but they were $20-25K more when new. Price differential between TT and TTS is significantly and disproportionately less on a pre-owned than when both cars were new. 3 year old TTS should be $50-60K less than the original MSRP depending on mileage. Of course the dealers asking more but that should be the target price.

Last edited by golfnut; 02-21-2014 at 10:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 12 Turbo vs Turbo S