997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Pics from the LA Auto Show, Getting fitted for new Turbo!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
New Pics from the LA Auto Show, Getting fitted for new Turbo!

Ok just going to post a few photos we took from the Porsche hall yesterday at the LA Convention Center. When we got there the Porsche setup was in its own hall set off to the right side inside the convention center. No other manufacturer had there own room to themselves!

There were plenty of Porsches on the floor that you could sit in, though it seemed like a few of them were locked, high dollar and rare cars, to keep most of the public out of them. However there were of course a few of each model like the Boxster, Caymen, Cayenne and Panamera for the public's viewing pleasure.

First, on a rotating platform there was the new Boxster Spyder which I have some photos as follows...

I noticed straight away that the entire car is open to the outside which struck me as odd. No leaving this one outside over night in crappy weather. I don't know if that constitutes that vehicle as a genuine "SPYDER"? Someone please skewl me!

RS Wheel anybody? Have to love those center locks?

Side view of the Grey Beauty in red lipstick

Think you are safe in there with all that piping and probably not too much twisting of the chassis as a result.

Now fellas, that *** is wider than Kim Kardashian's, somebody confirm that spelling for me please...

Up close with the Turbo Coupe that was up beyond reach where visitors couldn't not sit in it and enjoy it's interior!

Nordic Metallic Porsche Targa, this is the color I will be getting my 997.2 Turbo in!

Ok everyone, next to the Cup car and the GT3RS was a Turbo Cabriolet that they kept locked up all the time except for serious buyers. Porsche graced me with the "FULL MONTY" treatment with one of their "Customer Consultant Exclusive & Tequipment" fellows straight from Deutchland. Personally this was a privilege they gave me due to my correspondence with my contacts from Zuffenhausen!

There were two setups that were identical each other with two couches, one laptop to run the configurator and a giant LCD TV to show you the car you and the rep are working on. The first one was setup specifically for the Panamera, which the second that was in the back was for all the other models.

I was gracious to have a fellow named Florian Klingbeil as my consultant. And truthfully he really knew what was going on. I know there are some of us here who have literally spent hours and hours using the the Porsche Configurator on Porsche's website. Well this setup they have with the laptop is way far and beyond better than what we have at our own fingertips on our computers at home and work, cough cough. The following photos are explain it all...

First was exterior color, Nordic Metallic in my case. Its a color I have yet to see on the street and find that I like. Notice the Spyder center lock wheels with matching exterior color... decided to go back to the five bolt new style turbo wheels not seen in this photo or the next.

See another photo, just closer up!

Now onto interior setup. Thought I would like the sports seats with the driver preset memory. Ultimately decided against this one too because you cannot get them with seat ventilation... thus the next photo...

Still some motor assisted adjustments but no memory. Living in 100 degree weather it is imperative to have a cool behind!

Here we have the bidirectional xinon headlights. Its a must when we go and visit friends up and around Nevada City on them there twisty roads at night.

Painted front lip and side skirts not shown. Truthfully I will more than likely have the plain jane lip and skirts come from the factory and have them painted here instead.

Thank god they brought the paddles back! Don't know how many options Porsches with PDK will not come with the paddles? To me otherwise wouldn't make much sense, especially for those who resale.

Decided with the Cocoa Leather, looks really good with that exterior color. We grabbed several of the leather samples and went out to the Nordic Targa to see which color would be the best choice.

Here Florian was showing me the difference between the Leather B Pillar and the ordinary Plastic.

Here we have the chrome seat belt outlet which is a must if you get some of the other interior chrome adornments.

This is a shot of the ****pit with the chrome bits and a lot of the surfaces covered in leather which makes a big, big difference. Its something you really cant tell when you are tooling around with the configurator at home on their website. Having it in front of you makes all of the difference in the world.

Here I'm pointing at the door opener in chrome. In one of the Porsches I outfitted online I have some bits of the interior in chrome and some painted the exterior color. I had him change the door opener to the exterior color, which me and the misses automatically did not like. I thought that was a dumb *** idea and had him quickly change it back.

Final interior shot of the PDK and EBrake in chrome. Also decided to go with a chrome door sill that is illuminated that is custom. Me and my better half are thinking about doing a "Day of the Dead" design. Figured it would be really unique for sure. Don't think anyone else will come up with that one eh?

Now finally after we got done with configuring the car Florian handed me the keys to the Cabriolet Turbo on the Floor. When I was farting around the exhibit I saw a lot of folks trying to get a chance to sit in it but could not do so because it was locked. There was a group of fifteen or so taking pictures of it when I stepped up and opened it up to try it on. Here are the photos.

Me hiding my ugly mug...

There I am again, all six foot five of me. Look at them PCCBs!!! By the way those are the rims color match that will be coming with the car.

Front of the car with Timmy adjusting the rear view.

Another

Smile ****!!!

And finally me and Florian the consultant that helped me. He is a great guy and if you have any questions about putting a car together that none of your local dealers can help you with I can give you his eMail address. Truthfully I think putting the car together this way is the best way to do it. Because you are not at the dealership where they might be putting you through the wringer about buying the car. This way is far and beyond relaxed and is a much better atmosphere. This is the way it was meant to be.

Funny thing after I got home last night when I opened the 2010 Turbo catalog and saw the other full blown optioned interiors it started me thinking again about what I should do. Though I think I have this one pretty much set in stone.

Also would like to point out that Euro Delivery is possible. Believe it or not they only had one person taking care of this in Germany, and she left the company so they don't have anyone in place to take care of her duties. If you ask your dealer for Euro delivery and they tell you no, tell them they are wrong right back. It is possible still. You just have to go through the right channels. If you need help send me a message I will see if I can get you going through the right people. I know I will for sure.

I will be getting the configuration in the mail in about ten days and so will my local Porsche Dealer. Porsche of Bakersfield. Does anyone have good dealing with them. I have been by the lot several times and have had mixed experiences. One gentleman was more than willing to help me while this one Russian lady gave me the extreme cold shoulder. If anything I was to give my business to the sales person I talked shop with a couple of months ago who was more than inviting.

This post was copy and pasted from RENNLIST.COM

Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 PM
BMWPower06 will become famous soon enough
Wow sickk

Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 AM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
Now that is one fun day. Great story

Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
Well truthfully, and yes I tend to lead a pretty boring life, it was a highlight for this year almost.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:11 AM
ROD
ROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud of
Nice write up and pics!

I'll see it in person tomorrow.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:34 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Great photos!

Old 12-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Great photos!
Thanks, my girl took most of those pictures; especially when I was working on configuring the car.

Its coming up on ten days for when they said my configuration was to come in the mail. So I have been waiting by the door when the mailman has been coming by. My local dealer is suppose to be getting the same information and I will, --SHOULD--, be getting a call from them soon about the purchase. Only problem is they do not have any 2010 turbos at the moment. In my last area of residence, Long Beach, Circle Porsche has a few of the new ones so I expect Bakersfield should be getting a few in very soon. Keep you fingers cross because I will keep mine. Need to test drive a PDK Turbo...

Old 12-13-2009, 05:29 AM
TD997TT will become famous soon enough
Great write up, pictures and story. Thanks for posting!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:52 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Great pics, looks like a a very cool experience. You are gonna love the car! I had a similar experience , albeit without the computer configuration, at the Miami car show when the 993TT first came out.
Have you already ordered the car?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Great pics, looks like a a very cool experience. You are gonna love the car! I had a similar experience , albeit without the computer configuration, at the Miami car show when the 993TT first came out.
Have you already ordered the car?
Have not ordered the car yet. Also have not communicated with the local dealership about the car yet either. I'm waiting for a 2010 TT with PDK to arrive so I can test drive it before moving forward. Don't know if someone has actually acquired one of these early turbos and configured it like I plan on doing. Also don't know if I just might pull the trigger on one that they get in. As far as I know a few dealerships have already gotten some 2010's in including turbos of both kinds.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I hear the allocations are hard to come by, I would contact the dealer asap and order it if possible. Worst case you can buy what is coming in and cancel your order.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:58 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
FYI, the aluminum look finish is not that hearty and once scratched can chip if the scratch edge is caught with a finger nail or ring. But it does look nice.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
Great pics...

I love the RS

-Nathan