997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport
View Poll Results: What transmission to get for a 2010 turbo?
6-Speed Manual Transmission
38.68%
PDK Transmission
61.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Which to choose 997.2 turbo with 6-speed manual or PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
WilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud of
Which to choose 997.2 turbo with 6-speed manual or PDK

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2010 turbo and I cant decide I have always had manual transmissions because in my opinion, the tiptronic was too "automatic" for me. I like the idea of the PDK, but I am worried that it wont provide enough thrill like a manual car will. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Anyone drive the PDK yet? Thanks!!

Old 12-11-2009, 01:37 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Pdk....

Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 PM
WilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sharkster
Pdk....
Figures you would say that

Old 12-11-2009, 01:45 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
2007-2009 -> manual
2010+ -> PDK

I think THE compelling reason to get a 2010 is PDK. I love rowing the gears, but reality is the computer can do it better.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:17 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
2007-2009 -> manual
2010+ -> PDK

I think THE compelling reason to get a 2010 is PDK. I love rowing the gears, but reality is the computer can do it better.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

- bob

Old 12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
I like a manual, but dual-clutch transmissions and turbo motors do make a good combination. Staying on boost while shifting is great. Even with deft throttle/clutch work, a manual has nowhere near the response between gears.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:46 PM
mcm
mcm is an unknown quantity at this point
997.1 Turbo manual no way
997.2 Turbo PDK no way
I am normal not a fan of automatic on sport car but on short but speedy turbo powerband - the PDK is perfect (Tipronic wasn`t)
GT3 .. never, never PDK

Try yourself the new turbo with PDK and You will understand

Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
2007-2009 -> manual
2010+ -> PDK

+1 you said it

Old 12-11-2009, 03:54 PM
supercup is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by WilliamP997
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2010 turbo and I cant decide I have always had manual transmissions because in my opinion, the tiptronic was too "automatic" for me. I like the idea of the PDK, but I am worried that it wont provide enough thrill like a manual car will. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Anyone drive the PDK yet? Thanks!!
I have a 2009 TT Cab 6 speed and love it, but if I were to get a new car I would get a PDK - it is a superior transmission in all respects. You will get over rowing the shifter pretty fast!

I have driven a Carrerra S with PDK extensively and the Panamerra S and Turbo (one time each) and hte PDK is outstanding - my only complaint is the way the shifter buttons work in the opposite direction than what seems natural to me (much has been written about this) - but in the 2010 Turbo you can order the steering wheel with proper paddle shifters and eliminate this issue.

I say go PDK for sure!

JCM

Old 12-11-2009, 04:08 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
PDK if youre getting a new Turbo, as I think the new 6 speed is not the tried and true G50 .

Old 12-11-2009, 05:29 PM
il nino will become famous soon enoughil nino will become famous soon enough
I think everyone is missing the point of owning a sport car. PDK may be faster and more technological but where did being "one with the car" go. If I was a competitive racer or a commuter and needed an automatic then the PDK would be the way to go. With the amazing potential of the Turbo and the super limits it has well the only way to really appreciate the car on a constant basis is with the communication you get from the clutch pedal, the gearshift etc.
I can enjoy my Turbo at 40 and 50 mph because of the JOY of shifting and controlling the car. With an automatic in a high performance car, you have to be accelerating at speeds that send you to jail to enjoy the car.
I drove both the Panamera 4S and the Panamera Turbo and could appreciate the PDK in that type of performance sedan but if you are talking about a 911 Turbo then a manual is the way to go and be INTIMATE with you baby.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by il nino
I think everyone is missing the point of owning a sport car. With the amazing potential of the Turbo and the super limits it has well the only way to really appreciate the car on a constant basis is with the communication you get from the clutch pedal, the gearshift etc.
I Couldent have said it better

Old 12-11-2009, 05:50 PM
ZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really nice
I Agree with M Drei, well said.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Its truly the end of the road for the TT as a world class sportscar if/when an automatic outsells a true manual. And yes, even though its advanced.....if you can put it in "D" and drive a pdk car from 0-100 without manually changing gears its an automatic.

And yes, I feel the same way about the other cars (Lambo, Ferrari) when an automatic outsells a true manual.....a win for the lazy, a loss for true enthusiasts

Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 PM
V-man is on a distinguished road
6 speed there is not a better way to connect with your car.I understand the PDK but it just would not work for me any way you go your all good

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which to choose 997.2 turbo with 6-speed manual or PDK