997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

When to change tires?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:48 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
Interesting, so you are getting 17k miles (not km?) on the rears with Michelin PS2 (N1 rated)... wow!

I am a big fan of PS2's but I thought this time I'd try the new Pirelli Pzero N2 tyres that came out with the facelift Carrera. They seems to be pretty good from the first few hundred miles usage. Just as good grip if not better than PS2s and quieter IMHO. Wear rate will be interesting. Also, sidewall protection is supposed to be better for the PS2's so I will have to watch out for this.
Surprised with the Pirelli tires, thought Mich P2s were top of the line. Looks like at tirerack, Pirellis are $100 cheaper/rear tire and about $20cheaper/front tire. Those are much more affordable tires. That side wall protection should be the thickness of rubber just around the rim...is that what you are referring to? The retention of balance is important too, Mich P2s no problem, with Bridgestones, always was having a balance problem. Will have to check, Tirerack may have a live-comparison of Pirelli Pzero N2 vs the Mich P2 N1s hidden in their webpage somewhere.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:02 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
I have a little over 8,000 miles on my Pirelli's and the noise from the rears is starting to drive me crazy and will probably repalace them in the next couple of thousand miles. I liked them up until about 7,000 miles at which point the noise has been tough to handle. I will replace the rears for now with the same until the fronts are gone and at that point I will change to something else.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:19 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
I assume they are the harder wearing Bridgestones and you never accelerate or corner hard in your car? 10k would be the absolute limit for me even in Bridgestones.

Looking at the tread yourself can be deceptive. You need to get the car up on a ramp and look at the rears, specifically the inside edge as this is where it gets worn the most. I had good tread on my last set on the outside edge but was through the material layer, down to the metal layer on the inside edge.
Cannot this inside wear on the rear tires be adjusted out or does Porsche like it to stay that way??

Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 PM
kcturbo is on a distinguished road
I got almost 7K on my PZeros and then the rears got noisy. I replaced rears only. When they wear out again, I will likely go with Michelin PS2s.