6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Steering wheel creek? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/195849-steering-wheel-creek.html)

Jonnydeep83 12-18-2009 01:48 AM

Steering wheel creek?

Ok, so I have had my TT for almost 6 months now. The other day I heard a "new" noise. At lower speeds (i.e. in parking garage). I would get a creeking sound when turning the steering wheel.

1. I have only noticed this noise while drive at lower speeds (but it might happen at higher speeds too)

2. Clearly happens when turning steering wheel from far left to far right. (or right to left)

3. The noise can be heard beneath the dash, mostly on the passenger side, but it seems like i can kind of feel it in the steering wheel.

4. The noise only seemed to be related to me actually turning the wheel. After the wheel is turned I can keep the wheel turned and the noise to not occur.

5. the noise kind of sounds like a metal clicking / creeking noise. (reminds me of a sound that might be made if a bearing was lose and being "poped somehow")

One thought I had was that it could be the suspension, the noise did seem to be a little bit louder when i went over a slight bump. However PASM vs Non PASM does NOT seem to have any impact on the noise, it occurs in either mode.

I have 3 major questoins with this.

1. Any guess if this noise would be some type of safety concern.

2. Anyone ever heard of anything noise like this?

3. Anything I might be able to do short of taking it to the dealer or putting it up on a rack to help isolate the issue?

4. Any educated guesses on what the noise might be.

5. The car is stored in a heated garage (around 50F). But outside temps lately have been anywhere from 8-34F

I am familiar w/ the normal everyday noises an AWD/4WD might make w/ a front differential and this noise seems very different. This noise started over the last week.

Showking 12-18-2009 06:46 AM

I have the exact same noise... It only started when the weather got cold.. I was at the dealer Wednesday and it wasn't making the noise (of course) but it came back last night. I'm going back tomorrow, but I would guess it's not a safety issue, it feels like something needs a little grease. I'll let you know as soon as I find out. -Showking

Showking 12-18-2009 06:50 AM

P.S. Mine is definitely a steering column noise, it sounds like it's inside the car. It happens when I'm parked and turn the wheel back and forth lock to lock.. Once I'm moving, I don't hear it. I do, however, have another noise that sounds like a popping/ cracking noise coming from the front suspension when I turn the wheel sometimes. The dealer didn't see anything loose, but we'll see when it gets on the rack. I have Eibach springs in the car and my mechanic said that sometimes if the spring is not sitting perfectly on the perch it will move when you turn the wheel and make a noise. I will find out tomorrow (I hope). -Showking

Serpentene 12-18-2009 03:51 PM

have you changed the steering caster with the springs?, could also be stuck coil.

Jonnydeep83 12-19-2009 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Showking (Post 2658319)
P.S. Mine is definitely a steering column noise, it sounds like it's inside the car. It happens when I'm parked and turn the wheel back and forth lock to lock.. Once I'm moving, I don't hear it. I do, however, have another noise that sounds like a popping/ cracking noise coming from the front suspension when I turn the wheel sometimes. The dealer didn't see anything loose, but we'll see when it gets on the rack. I have Eibach springs in the car and my mechanic said that sometimes if the spring is not sitting perfectly on the perch it will move when you turn the wheel and make a noise. I will find out tomorrow (I hope). -Showking

Showking,
This sounds !exactly! like the noise i am hearing. Please let me know what you find out. I am hoping to save myself a trip to the dealer.

sbkim 05-08-2010 06:00 PM

BUMP - all of sudden I got the exact same noise. Any update? Is this normal? All works fine and power steering appears to be filled appropriately.

Showking 05-08-2010 07:52 PM

Mine stopped when the dealer greased the upper strut mount. It has since come back but stops if I spray some lithium grease up there. They say it's just the bearing and nothing serious.

-Showking

sbkim 05-09-2010 06:07 AM

Thank you showking! I will take it just to have it on service history.

EHGray 07-01-2010 09:59 PM

Having the same sound. It just showed up today and is very annoying. What did your dealer say was causing it?

HUMMM 3 07-02-2010 09:06 AM

I've been having these issues since last September although I didn't drive the car much during the Winter months. You could follow my thread (search) "suspension noises".

The noises seem to present themselves usually in warm temperatures (above 60 degrees) or after several miles have been driven to warm up the suspension. I notice most of the posters here live in the colder climes, so you'll probably find these noises getting more prevalent as the weather warms up.

Unfortunately it is not a problem that can be easily duplicated for a service adviser or mechanic, since they don't have the time or the inclination to drive around to heat up the suspension. At the end of a long trip (400 miles) last month the suspension was making noises that could be heard inside the car at speeds up to 40 mph. I took the car immediately to the dealer and demonstrated the noises to them with a 50 yard drive @ 5 mph in their parking lot. The conclusion was that it was the upper strut bearings. Because I've modified my suspension, service wouldn't be covered under warranty. However, the dealer said he cleaned and greased the upper strut bearings, which eliminated the noises until I took a 200 mile drive in 65 degree weather a few days later.

So yesterday I had my suspension expert replace the upper strut bearings. He had mentioned he would add a spring bushing, but as it turns out the bushing was already there (supplied with the Bilstein damptronics). I drove the car yesterday about 45 miles in 65 degree dry weather and no noises were heard. Next week warmer weather is forecast and I will take a longer test drive.

In talking with my suspension expert he said the upper strut bearing should be considered a maintenance item. After looking at one of the bearings myself it seems like it would be easier to replace it rather than take it apart, clean it, and regrease it. My recollection is that I got about 18K miles out of the OEM bearings before they needed to be replaced/started making noises.

teflon_jones 07-02-2010 09:18 AM

This was a frequent problem in the 996 too. It just required greasing the actual steering mechanism and it would go away, and many times didn't return.

EHGray 07-02-2010 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info. Mine is a 996 and what parts are you greasein, tie rode? What are you using as grease?

sbkim 07-03-2010 09:45 AM

My dealer actually replaced one of the tie rods and did a four wheel alignment to eliminate the squeal noise.

TekNiC3 09-29-2010 05:01 PM

Have the same issue.

I'm under the CPO warranty so hopefully they will take car of it. I have a set of Bilstein PSS9's on though. :eek:

turbobungle 06-19-2014 08:36 AM

I am having a problem with my 997.1TT and I am wondering if it is the same thing. My car is running Bilstein Damptronic suspension and Cargraphic nose lift system.

Since I've owned the car (4 months) I have been getting the odd 'clonk' or knock from the front left suspension when turning and hitting a bump at the same time, my servicing garage/warranty provider (Parr Motorsport) told me nothing is wrong, it is most likely a coil getting stuck then releasing.

Then the Cargraphic air bag system stopped working (not under warranty despite 'all mods carried our by Parr' being covered) and Parr sent the Cargraphic ECU to Germany to see if it could be repaired (it couldn't).

Since then, when I go on a journey of more than 20 miles or so (especially if its on a motorway), I get this horrible creaking/groaning noise when turning the steering wheel and can sometimes actually feel a slight knocking through steering wheel and pedals.

If I stop and let the car cool down, the noise goes away again.

Do you think this is down to one of the items mentioned in this thread (upper strut bearings, strut mounts or steering column/rack)?