6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   No Sport Button Remorse?? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/196761-no-sport-button-remorse.html)

TTdude 12-28-2009 01:02 AM

No Sport Button Remorse??

Just installed:

Proto VTG upgraded turbos
Proto 5" Intercoolers
Proto ECU Upgrade
BMC Air Filter
Sachs Clutch Upgrade

No button, no problem, no remorse. :)

I need more seat time and some street tuning but it's clear that I should have gone straight to this set-up from the beginning. My hat goes off to Todd K., a tuner's tuner.

NeilM 12-28-2009 01:31 AM

congrats David. So you're at 700hp now I guess.

TTdude 12-28-2009 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by NeilM (Post 2668289)
congrats David. So you're at 700hp now I guess.

Thanks Neil! I guess you knew it was coming.... If not at 700 hp, then close to it. The car is wicked fast. Cheers.

raclaims 12-28-2009 05:24 AM

Oooooh
nice one
soooo tempting
can't wait to hear your impressions after you've put on some miles
did you keep your original turbos or were they exchanged?

nyamg 12-28-2009 06:48 AM

Proto is awesome....what a sick setup, Congrats.
PLEASE post some video of your car:p

TT Surgeon 12-28-2009 09:39 AM

Awsome, agree SC is a gimmick esp if you're modding the car.

TTdude 12-28-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by raclaims (Post 2668338)
Oooooh
nice one
soooo tempting
can't wait to hear your impressions after you've put on some miles
did you keep your original turbos or were they exchanged?

My turbos were sent in for rebuilding so technically not "exchanged" for someone else's rebuilt unit. The plus side is that you know it's your cores that are being rebuilt but it will take longer to get them back.

Originally Posted by nyamg (Post 2668362)
Proto is awesome....what a sick setup, Congrats.
PLEASE post some video of your car:p

Hey nyamg, I promised this to Rhonda too when she sold me the exhaust. It was your early recommendation about the exhaust and a great one at that--so many thanks! Now I will really need to borrow a video cam.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon (Post 2668511)
Awsome, agree SC is a gimmick esp if you're modding the car.

Totally agree. Todd programmed my ecu so the sport map is moved into the normal mode. The car is very smooth under DD conditions.

ViciousZ 09-09-2011 10:12 PM

I'm glad I read this. Now I feel better about picking up a 07 997 without SC. I'm going to be modding anyway. Somewhere around 700hp.

Perfect!

TTdude 09-09-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ViciousZ (Post 3310393)
I'm glad I read this. Now I feel better about picking up a 07 997 without SC. I'm going to be modding anyway. Somewhere around 700hp.

Perfect!

Congrats on your car! You're really going to enjoy her. My Proto flash with upgraded vtg turbos was just as smooth as stock but elevated to another level, not twitchy or jerky, from idle to wot. Asher (The Bogg) recently installed the same set-up but he has to engage the sport function to get the same smoothness and power. There's a current thread where people are saying the second thing they do after turning on the ignition is push the sport button. You won't have to do that. Have fun modding. :)

Serpentene 09-10-2011 01:30 AM

Is it possible to suggest the Turbo SC offering has a limited boost powerband simply to "conservatively" avoid excess heating issues..such as EGT keeping within stock VTG safety measures?..

I quite frankly still don't understand all that is happening with SC ON.
It's a question really no one has thoroughly answered.

I like PSM OFF because it dampens TC a bit. Gives me more driver input.

I don't like pushing the sport button..in fact the only benefit I DO enjoy and noticeably can feel is the rear wheels bias...which leads me to believe a GT2 would be a perfect marriage for me.

I think I may have to drive one yet again.

speed21 09-10-2011 02:47 AM

Congrats on the car Dave, sounds awesome! I'm sure it's wicked fast so let's hope you can use it without getting busted:D. Enjoy in good health!

Now, on to the SC button. No remorse at all my end ;). Todd K has said right from the very beginning he can always set the tune file up in normal mode so it's identical to the Sports Chrono mode setting amongst other changes he can also tailor depending upon user wishes. So on that front it all comes down to user preference so no need for anyone with the dual modes to suffer from anything. All they need to do is get Todd to make the alterations to their individual liking (hear that Asher?). What needs to be remembered here with the "blessed" SC option is that there are other benefits beyond just the tune, the front to rear bias changes, and suspension and throttle changes. I know its not the end of the world for those that don't have the SC option but for those with it there should be no need for remorse at any time....just more pleasure ;).

The Bogg 09-10-2011 08:31 AM

I like having the option of sport mode. Even though it's very driveable with SC turned on the throttle mapping makes it even easier in regular mode for in-town driving. Not a deal breaker by not having it of course.

Paul, I like it the way it is! BTW, did you get my last PM? Never heard back from you, but I did expect some comments!

The Bogg 09-10-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousZ (Post 3310393)

Perfect!

The stock car is great, but after getting upgraded vtgs the stock car feels like a wheezy old man...with a broken leg.:D Take a ride in a modded car and then get ready for the wallet pinch.

speed21 09-10-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Bogg (Post 3310585)
I like having the option of sport mode. Even though it's very driveable with SC turned on the throttle mapping makes it even easier in regular mode for in-town driving. Not a deal breaker by not having it of course.

Paul, I like it the way it is! BTW, did you get my last PM? Never heard back from you, but I did expect some comments!

SC. Never a deal breaker no! A deal maker maybe.....:D:p

On the pm sorry boggy but internet speed and connection here in greek isl is beyond bad.... skand must have hard wired himself into the mainframe:D either that it's just where i am at moment:mad:. R u sure you pm'd me?:)

Acmw 09-10-2011 04:47 PM

nice!