997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Choosing a tuner? Choose Protomotive!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cgng30
where can i get info on promotive , stages, hp etc, i went to the website and there was nothing, unless i was on the wrong website, and how does one order the software
Best way to communicate is via email. The website is not informative and obviously does not spend much time on it.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Well, I just put in the Proto tune today. Chose Proto b/c of the reputation and his communication and price. Also, you get 4 recalibrations included with the price.

Perfect weather for a test run, about 60F and not humid (unlike the last few days). Hit it in 2nd gear and for the first time I saw some light flashing in my dash - presumably the traction control thing. Man...it just rips you to 60mph so quickly. Hit the highway and in 3rd gear the tach races to redline as fast as it used to in 2nd gear when stock!!!!!

Turned around to come back home and thought I'd try sport mode. Nailed it in 2nd gear and I swear it felt like torque steer. In retrospect, I think it was the clutch slipping, based on other people's description. Now this is how Porsche should have built the car!

My 3yr old daughter calls my car "daddy's black cat car". When I take her out again in it she's going to rename it "angry black cat" or "scalded black cat" b/c it accelerates that much more violently.

Driveability is very close to stock. Smooth idle, no jerkiness. The only slight change I noticed is that it was a little easier to almost stall when going from a stop - just had to give a little bit of gas and it was all good.

The bad - I'll need to start saving for a new clutch and probably tires.

No regrets!
Congrats! Wise decision!

Originally Posted by bonehead
Haha. Wow, that was pretty fast, Bogg. From CPO to Proto tune

Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
where can i get info on promotive , stages, hp etc, i went to the website and there was nothing, unless i was on the wrong website, and how does one order the software
Use the contact link on the website. Todd will write back to you personally! That's customer service!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
when i did some runs collecting data via softronic cable and durametric software Todd said that in sport mode i was reaching 1,4bar
Was this with the 100 octane tune or the 93 tune file?

Originally Posted by The Bogg
Well, I just put in the Proto tune today. Chose Proto b/c of the reputation and his communication and price. Also, you get 4 recalibrations included with the price.

Driveability is very close to stock. Smooth idle, no jerkiness.

No regrets!
Congrats Bogg. Welcome to the club.....and its a good club to be in.

Heres his site: http://www.protomotive.com/

Press enter, go to Contacts and you will see the phone number. Every time i've ever phoned he's always answered. Anyway if he doesnt, just email Todd and he will get back to you. Eitherway its well worth the wait and there is plenty that will vouch for that .

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I'd send several emails a day and he would always reply the same or the next day. solid answers to any questions. I like knowing that if I do decide to go further up the power ladder then I won't have to pay for a file recalibration (4 recalibrations are included with the price of the tune) which is a big saving when you do things stepwise. Perhaps other tuners do this too but I know of at least one that will charge for a new file for upgraded turbos.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:28 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
We're lucky as P car owners that there are so many good choices out there for tuners. I wouldn't have had any regrets buying from several of the other tuners who are on these boards, but in the end you do have to pick just one...

Old 06-30-2010, 06:13 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
It took me 8 months to decide on a tuner, Proto, I'll have reactions in next couple of weeks.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Blockhed
It took me 8 months to decide on a tuner, Proto, I'll have reactions in next couple of weeks.
8 mos, man, now that's what I call doing your homework and due diligence!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Took my wife for a drive last night. Mistakenly stomped on it in 1st gear and rapidly shifted into second gear before wife was ready. Wife wasn't impressed as her head was thrown around like a bobble-head toy. Cooled it for a while and then on the highway let it rip in 4th gear. Now THAT's what I'm talkin about. Put a smile on both of our faces. You can really see how the 60-130 is significantly improved with a tune and high-flow exhaust. Later I stomped on it in 5th gear and the acceleration was very impressive (I started off around 70mph). And this is just with "standard" not even the sport mode on.

Very impressed. No urge to try the "aggressive" tune yet but I will in due time.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
Thinking of switching tunes myself, I have all the mods turbos, ic, exhaust ect. but feel like softronic tune has left a lot on the table with a safe tune. the car is a animal until around 5000rpm then nothing!? was thinking EPL or Proto. Keep in mind EPL is 10 min. from my house. Any thoughts?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
Thinking of switching tunes myself, I have all the mods turbos, ic, exhaust ect. but feel like softronic tune has left a lot on the table with a safe tune. the car is a animal until around 5000rpm then nothing!? was thinking EPL or Proto. Keep in mind EPL is 10 min. from my house. Any thoughts?
I think you're going to be limited on upper end power with vtgs; however, Proto has a lot of experience with vtgs and could optimize what you already have assuming you want to stick with your current mods. If you really want to go big power up top, then you'll likely need to change turbos. I've seen Proto dynos with GT3076s and stock internals put out 796 ft lbs of tq @ 5200 and 870 whp at 6500 (105 F dyno room). That is huge. Since EPL is so close it would be good to develop a long term relationship assuming they satisfy your needs. The question I would ask each person is here are my mods, this is my problem, what can you do to optimize my system? Good luck.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TTdude
I've seen Proto dynos with GT3076s and stock internals put out 796 ft lbs of tq @ 5200 and 870 whp at 6500 (105 F dyno room). That is huge.
That was on alpha 3076 not GT3076 plus stock headers, stock cats, stock exhaust and standard style intake w/airbox

Old 07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
gtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Shotcaller
That was on alpha 3076 not GT3076 plus stock headers, stock cats, stock exhaust and standard style intake w/airbox
Stock cats are hollowed out and props to EVOMS for their larger diameter intake duct setup utilizing the stock air box. 997TT intake manifold, bigger injectors but stock fuel system and a Protomotive dual disc clutch.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by gtovan
Stock cats are hollowed out and props to EVOMS for their larger diameter intake duct setup utilizing the stock air box. 997TT intake manifold, bigger injectors but stock fuel system and a Protomotive dual disc clutch.
]

You got a nice ride. So what's all that power feel like? It's pretty much all bolt-ons right?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:33 PM
gtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud ofgtovan has much to be proud of
All bolt-ons, I haven't driven this one yet (being finished up), but the first 997GT2 Todd did for me is pretty darn wild at anything near full boost (822whp) on the street w/ just rwd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Choosing a tuner? Choose Protomotive!