997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

EVOMS Project 2010 3.8L DFI 997TT Has Officially Started!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Banned
DINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the roughDINpower is a jewel in the rough
FWIW when the 997tt.2 stock is already putting out 496RWHP

RS Tuning were were told by their Porsche engineer friends "this one is not for you" but of course they wanted to find out for themselves. They determined the limit of the new Dfi turbo at 550hp, after 3 days engine dyno testing they managed to destroy the engine, with a conrod breaking.
Initial weak points are rods pistons and head gasket.

They are re-engineering the broken engine to 4 litre with specially made new head gasket, there is not much optimism for its longevity compared to the Mezger.....

Old 02-19-2010, 04:14 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Wow.... There is a hell of a lot to get exicited about with this new baby. She looks georgeous now....can only imagine what she will end up like....cant wait to see!! Love the black too. And those wheels and new tips actually look great for stock.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Software tuning is a cumulative process, especially when the ECU technology is different than all of the past ECU's Porsche has used in the 911 turbo models. We spent two full weeks on the dyno since our testing on the race track. We used the track data as well as the information we accumulated from our previous dyno tests and 1200 miles of highway driving to refine our initial software tune. We have been able to learn the sophistication of the Siemens-VDO ECU and how it controls the various different engine functions. Combining the data from all of the different types of driving has allowed us to make some final changes to the software which has increased torque by an additional ~12 ft. lbs while maintaining the same overall horsepower. The overall power delivery is smoother and very consistent even when pushed to the limits. More important than the dyno figures is the way the car performs on the road. We will post more information including real world performance tests shortly. Stay tuned!

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 02-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Data Logs

I just finished sorting through the data logs from the new turbo. Pictured below are a 2 screen captures from one of the programs that I used to log the car both on the street and on the track. There is a ton of useful data and I thought I would share a snapshot of what the data was stock vs. with our software tune.

Pictured below is a screen capture of a few data channels from one of the logs during highway driving - 100% Stock 997.2TT with ~ 1200 miles. You can see the Manifold Pressure, RPM, speed, intake temps, engine compartment temps and fuel trim. This data was recorded from a quick blast on a closed highway.

Pictured below is a screen capture of a few data channels from one of the logs during race track driving - EVOMSit software tune - 997.2TT with ~ 1300 miles. You can see the Manifold Pressure, RPM, speed, intake temps, engine compartment temps and fuel trim. This data was recorded during one of the race sessions after about 15 minutes of track driving.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
This PDK car with just a tune would be the ultimate daily driver. Nice job, Todd

Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM
artur777 will become famous soon enoughartur777 will become famous soon enough
What is your opinion on the engine's reliability?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Nice job!

It looks like your IATs really climbed with your tune. Hard to tell what the conditions were when you captured your data, but it looks like the tune would be complimented with improved ICs?

Last edited by bbywu; 02-20-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:29 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
This is what you mean by "tuning being a cumulative process" eh This is just one of many reasons why the software when _released_ is always so dialed in. You do so much real-world field testing (dyno, street, track, other cars etc...) so can't wait to see where it goes. I'd be interested to see what sort of times she puts down with just a tune vs a tune and exhaust, then a tune exhaust and ICs. I know you said earlier on the IC's could/would need improving

PS Is it snowing yet in Arizona?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by bbywu
Nice job!

It looks like your IATs really climbed with your tune. Hard to tell what the conditions were when you captured your data, but it looks like the tune would be complimented with improved ICs?
Thanks! The intake temps are higher in the second log during our track tests. The outside temps were considerably higher when I was track testing. The engine was also much hotter because of the extended and sustained high loads while operating in track conditions. The stock data shows only a quick blast through the gears where the intercoolers and engine were not heat soaked.

The other interesting details highlighted in the graphs are the long term fuel trims as well as the ignition advance. The stock graph shows -3% to -4% fuel trim correction and with our tune, the fuel trims are 0%. Additionally, even though the intake temperatures are higher during the track tests compared to the stock tests on the highway, the ECU is still maintaining the ignition timing. If the ECU was sensing any detonation, the timing would be substantially lower than 22 degrees. I will perform the same highway tests and post the data shortly.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:22 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Can I fill out a request form?

Old 02-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
This PDK car with just a tune would be the ultimate daily driver. Nice job, Todd
Thanks Scott!

What is your opinion on the engine's reliability?
artur777,

Time will tell. We will be pushing the engine harder in the near future with considerably more power.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by sharkster
This is what you mean by "tuning being a cumulative process" eh This is just one of many reasons why the software when _released_ is always so dialed in. You do so much real-world field testing (dyno, street, track, other cars etc...) so can't wait to see where it goes. I'd be interested to see what sort of times she puts down with just a tune vs a tune and exhaust, then a tune exhaust and ICs. I know you said earlier on the IC's could/would need improving

PS Is it snowing yet in Arizona?
No snow where I live While others are still shoveling their driveways, we are tearing up the race track, testing and testing. You know me too well Alex, I am a freak when it comes to real world data. I have learned a ton about how the 997.2TT ECU and engine reacts to different conditions, temperatures as well as exhaust backpressure There are also other components that will need to be upgraded for track cars and cars operating in hotter climates.

Regarding the times, I have to test this car at the drag strip. As of right now, I cannot get any traction on the street when I use launch control. The wheels just spin off the line, it hits the rev limiter and short shifts into second.

Regarding the intercoolers, yes improvements are in the works. I have some very special cores that are in route as we speak. I will post more information and pictures once they arrive.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
No snow where I live While others are still shoveling their driveways, we are tearing up the race track, testing and testing. You know me too well Alex, I am a freak when it comes to real world data. I have learned a ton about how the 997.2TT ECU and engine reacts to different conditions, temperatures as well as exhaust backpressure There are also other components that will need to be upgraded for track cars and cars operating in hotter climates.

Regarding the times, I have to test this car at the drag strip. As of right now, I cannot get any traction on the street when I use launch control. The wheels just spin off the line, it hits the rev limiter and short shifts into second.

Regarding the intercoolers, yes improvements are in the works. I have some very special cores that are in route as we speak. I will post more information and pictures once they arrive.
Yes you do. You're attached to the OBDII port at one end and yer laptop at the other But in all seriousness it's interesting to see the development here. Where the factory tune is pulling fuel with our ****ty 91... you've somewhat reduced that symptom. Good stuff. We'll be doing some added testing out here on a car shortly too I hear It's not snowing here either but there's lot of rain

I know what you mean about the launches. It truly is a sub 3 second car to 60 with a hard launch. I'd be scared about putting sticky tires on

It'll be great to see what these cores do to the IAT's on a similar day and set up the next time you hit the track. The folks out here like to hit the tracks in summer so

Last edited by sharkster; 02-20-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:43 PM
AUDIRS6 is on a distinguished road
Really nice car and i am glad you guys are thoroughly testing it.

Do you guys have any concern as far as carbon build up down the road and it hurting the performance? I am sure you guys are familiar with problems the Audi 2.0ts have been having with carbon build up.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
Car and Driver Test

Earlier in this thread there were some skeptics who had a hard time believing the power we tested on our new 997.2TT. Well the new April issue of Car and Driver tests the ZR1 Corvette against the 997.2TT. There are some very serious numbers that where put down by the new turbo which further confirm the tests that we conducted. Here are the specs from C&D:

ZR1 vs. 997.2 Turbo

0-60: 3.4/2.9
Rolling 5-60: 4.0/3.4
0-100: 7.6/6.8
0-150: 16.4/16.2
1/4 Mile: 11.5 @ 128 vs. 11.0 @128
Top Speed: 205/194
Laguna Seca Lap Time: 1:36.8/1:37.8

Additionally, I just got word from a few of my associates in Germany that have been dyno testing the new 2010 turbo. All of them confirmed that the power of the 2010 turbo is under rated from the factory. 3 different cars were tested on 2 different dynos and all of them showed ~528 HP stock on both dynos. The German dynos used measure engine power which calculates the parasitic losses through the Drivetrain.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: EVOMS Project 2010 3.8L DFI 997TT Has Officially Started!!!