997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Noise on cold starting???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TO08TURBO
Hey Rambo1, here is the update as I know you were interested in the outcome.

I took the car to downtown porsche, who I am sure you probably know given your location. Showed them a video identifying the noise, and they kept the car for 2 days to ensure they could replicate the noise during a cold start.

When I eventually returned (didn't get much of an update in the two days) they told me they could not hear it. I started it right there in front of them, and miracle of miracles the sound was there. The tech listened to it and said that it sounded like a bit of rust on a pulley, and would not recommend taking the engine out, considering it is a newer car, and I should monitor it and bring it back if the noise got worse. While the logic of his suggestion cannot be disputed, I am quite disappointed that they kept the car for two days and obviously did nothing with it. Take care.
Wow! These guys are unreal (but so typical). They had it for 2 days and couldnt hear it and then you come over, start it and noise is there and then they blow you off suggesting its rust on a pulley. Thats not a miracle thats both and downright insulting. I dont suppose they managed to actually show you the rust?.. or do they expect you to just take their word and go away. Ive never heard of rust on a pulley making a noise like that. Wow...these guys are treating you like a complete mug. I wouldnt be taking that lying down for one second. As Ruf turbo says...if the pullley is so rusty then have them change it under warranty. You did after all buy a new car off them that was not meant to have rusty parts. You need to put your foot down and take a stand.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 PM
TO08TURBO will become famous soon enoughTO08TURBO will become famous soon enough
In complete agreement with you speed21. Unfortunately in Toronto there are only the two major dealers, Pfaff and Downtown Porsche who will perform warranty work on these cars. I chose Downtown Porsche because of proximity to my location, and paid the price in frustration. Rather than take it back there and end up being more frustrated, or ending up losing my patience or temper, I've called the other option, Pfaff, have spoken to one of the service advisors there, and hopefully they will be able to sort me out.

I quite agree with you that when you spend the money that we do for these cars that proper service should be expected, but why it always seems that we as owners need to push the techs to do their job properly is beyond me.

I am 100% positive they kept my car for two days, did nothing with it, and when I showed up unexpectedly because I was getting pissed, it threw them off guard and they came up with the excuses of not being able to produce the noise and the suspected rust on the pulley. Rather than lose my temper and have the tech screw the car up even more as a form of his own personal gratitude, I just decided to take it and not bother, but trust me I aim to ensure it gets fixed one way or the other.

Thanks again for the advice.