997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Official 997.1TT weight loss thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
Back seats are a good idea, looks like a t GT 3 back there. More room for all that luggage.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM
misfortune13 is on a distinguished road
I love this thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
9.2 kg saving from removal of rear seats.

Doesn't include removal of Bose or seat locking brackets
Take out the Bose box. It's heavier than the seats!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:43 AM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
I was wondering how much weight savings would I get after removing the whole rear carpeting, BOSE and perhaps side speakers as well?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 AM
cmira is on a distinguished road
I assume removing the Bose subwoofer/box will not affect the radio, (other than the loss of bass).

Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cmira
I assume removing the Bose subwoofer/box will not affect the radio, (other than the loss of bass).
I've had mine out for years and I couldn't tell the difference in sound. It's not like you're in your quiet listening room. Anyway, about 45 lbs removed in one whack.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Ruf, you would be surprised at how heavy the rear seat seatbelt and retractoring components actually weight. Not sure of the exact weight but they feel heavier than the seat backs.

Cheers

Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 AM
cmira is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
I've had mine out for years and I couldn't tell the difference in sound. It's not like you're in your quiet listening room. Anyway, about 45 lbs removed in one whack.
Thank you for your reply. Off with the woofer and the back seats!

I bought my car new in '07, starting tracking it with PCA this August - Carolina's Region. I've done 5 DE's. They mentioned 'track pipe' at my first drivers meeting - so true!!

Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 AM
TrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by fastlaw
what weight savings would be achieved by doing a RWD conversion?
has anybody done this to there 997 tt? very interesting, wouldnt that mess with the dynamics of the car at all? since the power distribution is split between the front and rear with AWD, if you just take all the AWD components off will the car automatically push all the power out of the rear wheels or would you need to reprogram the ecu or something? Very curious

Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Frizz is on a distinguished road
I know someone and the weight saving was between 50 - 70kgs (I dont have the exakt number) But to me, it makes more sense to look for an GT2 instead of converting the turbo. You may also kick out PASM, which are quite heavy.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
45 lbs for the Bose sub? Wrong!!! The sub box weighs 13 lbs including the brackets.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porscheboy997
has anybody done this to there 997 tt? very interesting, wouldnt that mess with the dynamics of the car at all? since the power distribution is split between the front and rear with AWD, if you just take all the AWD components off will the car automatically push all the power out of the rear wheels or would you need to reprogram the ecu or something? Very curious
Make sure you put in a good LSD if you go RWD....

Old 06-09-2013, 08:17 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Reviving an older thread but I thought id post up some learned info. I had to weigh my car to register it this past week and it weighed 3510lbs w 3/4 tank of fuel. I figure my GT2 carbon seats save me a few but my BBI roll bar and wheels are pretty heavy and probably add 100lbs to base weight. Just thought Id share!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Reviving an older thread but I thought id post up some learned info. I had to weigh my car to register it this past week and it weighed 3510lbs w 3/4 tank of fuel. I figure my GT2 carbon seats save me a few but my BBI roll bar and wheels are pretty heavy and probably add 100lbs to base weight. Just thought Id share!
Texas required weight to register? Is that because it was previously registered out of state?

Old 06-09-2013, 08:42 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Yessir. They said that since the CA title had no weight listed....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Official 997.1TT weight loss thread