997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Mezger vs Newer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:39 PM
96redLT4 will become famous soon enough96redLT4 will become famous soon enough
Mezger vs Newer

Does anyone have any info on the durability, reliability etc of the classic Mezger turbo block vs the newer DFI 3.8 L. Is the latter just too new for any reasonable comparison? I would think P would test/ and run these pretty hard before signing off on them. I am not really interested in which could be more easily modified, but which is better from the factory.
Jim

Old 08-29-2010, 05:45 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Hey Jim,

I asked the Training Manager at the dealership here in Kuwait about this specifically and here is what he said in general:
1- The two engines have the same basic engine block
2- The two engines' components are built from the same materials, alloys, etc...
3- The oiling system of the DFI engine is claimed to be more efficient than the 3.6L engine in that oil is micro-sprayed on top of the pistons which is claimed to greatly enhance lubrication.
4- The two engines will handle the same type of abuse, etc...
5- Compression ratio on the new engine is higher while boost on the new turbo is lower.

By and large, he said that the new engine should be at least as good as the old one in terms of reliability and longevity, etc...

Hope this helps,

Karim

Old 08-29-2010, 05:50 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
If the new engine is as good or better then why is it not being used in any of the GT models? Not trying to be controversial but seriously want to know. Also why have the tuners not gone ahead with high HP kits for the new engine?

Old 08-29-2010, 05:54 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
If the new engine is as good or better then why is it not being used in any of the GT models? Not trying to be controversial but seriously want to know. Also why have the tuners not gone ahead with high HP kits for the new engine?
Engine is still very new for tuners to already explore its limits.

Cannot answer the first question though.

I am not taking sides on which engine is better.

I am merely relaying the information given to me.

Cheers

Old 08-29-2010, 06:46 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Karim, unfortunately, I believe your training manager is incorrect. Ask him what exactly is shared...with the exception for a few bolts, the two engines share no part numbers. Crankshaft. Connecting rods. Pistons. Cylinder housing. Valve drive. Tappets. Oil supply design. Camshaft bearing design. All different.

Last edited by bbywu; 08-29-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Karim, unfortunately, please ask your training manager exactly what is shared between the two engines.

I think he will find it difficult to explain how two engines with no shared parts have "the same basic block."

There are no shared part numbers. Crankshaft. Connecting rods. Pistons. Cylinder housing. Valve drive. Tappets. Oil supply design. Camshaft bearing design. All different.
Unfortunately, the man is out of town until the 4th.
When he gets back, I will relay your question and comments and revert back to you with his answer.

This is about to get interesting: Bob with his encyclopaedic P car knowledge and the Kuwait P dealership Training Manager...

Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 PM
96redLT4 will become famous soon enough96redLT4 will become famous soon enough
Hi. I would like to know as well. I had heard from someone who sounded quite knowledgeable, I think named Cam on a different thread that the Mezger engines cost a great deal more to make and are widely regarded as the best/strongest that P made, which may make the 08-09s a great value relative to the price of the new ones. I would think this would be a big issue on this forum.
Jim

Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Yes the GT1 engine costs about twice as much as the wet sump DFI, that should tell you something. The tech is dead wrong, the two engines share nothing other than both being a flat 6 design, they couldn't be more different.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Hi. I would like to know as well. I had heard from someone who sounded quite knowledgeable, I think named Cam on a different thread that the Mezger engines cost a great deal more to make and are widely regarded as the best/strongest that P made, which may make the 08-09s a great value relative to the price of the new ones. I would think this would be a big issue on this forum.
Jim
That would be cannga.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:52 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Jim
'07's have the same engine....just sayin'....

Old 08-29-2010, 09:07 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
This is about to get interesting: Bob with his encyclopaedic P car knowledge and the Kuwait P dealership Training Manager...
No contest

Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
One engine they race, the other they don't.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl

Originally Posted by TTdude
No contest
Bada... boom! Too funny and thanks for the good laugh.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:06 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
There is simply no comparison between mezger and 3,8lt engines...Neither from outside nor from inside view...As for durability...just forget it...when tuning begins internal parts of the new engine are way too weak for increased torque and hp...
However new car with flash and exhaust is extremely fast and has no problem in handling hp/lbft...above these levels internal modification is required...Keep in mind that raised compression ratio (due to dfi) is good for a stock engine giving more torque at low rpm byt is bad for bigger turbos where lower cr is needed...
Porsche again created an exceptional car with no contester in 500hp range...But for high hp tuning...major changes are needed...

Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Has anyone blown up the new "weaker" 3.8?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mezger vs Newer