997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cooling fans under the car after drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
Cooling fans under the car after drive?

Hey guys,
I picked up a pair of hunter fans when there were on clearance and I found out I could actually slide the fan under the engine.
I have been using them a few times so far and they cool the engine bay a lot faster than just leave the lid open, but will I do any harm to the parts if I use it every time after a drive?
anyone of you did the same?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Not sure I understand the question but there is no need to open the engine lid or use external fans to cool the engine after a drive. As a matter of fact if the engine reaches a certain temp after a brisk drive the engine fan will kick in by itself even after the car has been turned off for awhile.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
Thanks! I understand that no extra cooling/open the lid is needed when the car has been shut off. But does it help in the long run if I open the lid and have a couple fans under the car? Or that I may be doing some harm to the metal parts as they will cool down much quicker

Old 10-20-2010, 01:10 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
This is one of the best things you can do for our cars and is used by racing teams all over the world. Since I started driving P-cars during the air/oil cooling days, I have always use a fan to cool down the car, engine and garage after driving. I would put one fan at the rear of the car and open the engine cover.

Last edited by robertp; 10-20-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:11 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
It will not harm the car. Cooling rates vary from climate to climate.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
I don't see that the extra fans would do any harm to the car. In the long run it may be beneficial who knows? I can tell you that my water temp never goes past 175 F and my oil temp stays pegged at 200 F.

Last edited by gradyex; 10-20-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gradyex
Not sure I understand the question but there is no need to open the engine lid or use external fans to cool the engine after a drive. As a matter of fact if the engine reaches a certain temp after a brisk drive the engine fan will kick in by itself even after the car has been turned off for awhile.
True!
After 4 consecutive laps on the Norschleife I went to get gas ,parked and then took a break for about 10 minutes
When I returned to my car,I thought I had left the engine running
It was just the fan working overtime

Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
It will not harm the car. Cooling rates vary from climate to climate.
Robert, doesn't the OEM engine fan suck air from outside and blow it downward through the engine bay? Why not put the fans face down under the engine bay and leave the engine bay closed?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Robe Why not put the fans face down under the engine bay and leave the engine bay closed?
This may be hard to do unless the car is jacked up 12 inched or so.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gradyex
I don't see that the extra fans would do any harm to the car. In the long run it may be beneficial who knows? I can tell you that my water temp never goes past 175 F and my oil temp stays pegged at 200 F.
Mine too...but I've always wondered why one liquid (coolant) never goes over 175 but another liquid (oil) gets to 200.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Guys thanks a lot for the feedback. My fans can fit just under the car and I can slide them around turbos and headers area. My oil and water temper has been steady all the time while moving, but i have noticed if I shut the car off and go start it in 2-5 minutes, oil temperature will go above 200.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
i just let the engine compartment fan do its thing...