997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

While clutch is being changed...

Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
While clutch is being changed...

What else should be done while engine is dropped for clutch change? I have a few things on my list and wonder if anyone has some other suggestions. Also, there seem to be some other clutch parts (e.g. pilot bearing, guide tube) listed online that aren't part of my Stage II.5 kit, do these or any other parts also need replacing while the clutch is changed? I'm getting new pp to flywheel bolts (once I can figure out which ones they are, lol).

I plan to do:

spark plugs (hopefully this will save a ton off the labour for the plugs alone)

fuel filter - no biggie

air filter

oil and filter of course

any other suggestions appreciated. I debated about the coilpacks for the plugs but Todd/Proto said to only change them if there was a problem. I don't think I'm experiencing any problems.

thanks all

Old 12-07-2010, 04:41 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Engine dropped for clutch change?

Old 12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Is that not right? I thought that's what he said and part of the reason why it costs so much.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The transmission can be dropped without the engine coming out. Are you sure they are pulling the engine out?

Last edited by bbywu; 12-07-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
If they ARE pulling the engine, do the plugs/coils while the engine is out. Change the air intake piping (almost impossible to swap without pulling the engine.)

Old 12-07-2010, 05:01 PM
...and maybe LWFW (if you can stand the chatter.)

Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
I'll check with them to clarify. If they're not pulling the engine out I suppose that means it will be full labour for plug change then, right? Perhaps it's okay to change the plugs when the turbos come out for upgrading, I recall reading that the turbos need to come off to change the plugs.

I wasn't sure about the air intake plumbing, is it as restrictive as the 996tt? I recall Todd/Proto saying it was good for about 700whp as is. I won't hit that amount so I was planning to stick with the stock intake.

No lwfw for me. I prefer to do the chattering.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 PM
You can do a partial engine drop to swap plugs and coil packs.

The air intakes can only improve flow - they are such a pain to change and swap that if your engine is going to be out, I'd change them.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:24 PM
sniperm is on a distinguished road
what does a job like this cost?

didnt know it was a pita to change spark plugs...

Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Engine should not have to come out for the trans.

Get the GT2 slave. It takes some getting used to, but it rocks!

Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
If your going to upgrade turbos, just wait to change your plugs...Its a very simple job once the turbos are out...I would say it wouldn't take any longer than 30mins to change your plugs once the turbos are out of the way...

Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
I'd pull the coolant lines that are glued in, and have new ones welded to the coolant manifold. Sorry for the lack of correct terminology.

These are the coolant plugs that pop out and require the motor to be pulled to replace the coolant manifold.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by skeeter
If your going to upgrade turbos, just wait to change your plugs...Its a very simple job once the turbos are out...I would say it wouldn't take any longer than 30mins to change your plugs once the turbos are out of the way...
great thanks, that was what I was hoping to hear!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Engine should not have to come out for the trans.

Get the GT2 slave. It takes some getting used to, but it rocks!
I actually like the stock feel (I'm probably the only one!)

Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
You can do a partial engine drop to swap plugs and coil packs.

The air intakes can only improve flow - they are such a pain to change and swap that if your engine is going to be out, I'd change them.
Makes sense. And thanks for the pics, you truly have a pic for every occasion.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: While clutch is being changed...