997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Does this sound right to you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 PM
YZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the rough
Does this sound right to you?

I am looking at a 9977tt car has been modded, susp pipe flash and a couple of other things, buyer says it wasn't tracked. Car has 12,000 miles and just had clutch replaced as well as all rotors and pads. It is possible to need new pads and rotors in 12,000 miles from normal none track driving? Car is very nice but I can't understand why anyone would mod their susp and not track the car. Does any of this make sense to you? Thanks

Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by YZWILLY
I am looking at a 9977tt car has been modded, susp pipe flash and a couple of other things, buyer says it wasn't tracked. Car has 12,000 miles and just had clutch replaced as well as all rotors and pads. It is possible to need new pads and rotors in 12,000 miles from normal none track driving? Car is very nice but I can't understand why anyone would mod their susp and not track the car. Does any of this make sense to you? Thanks
My TT has 9k miles and at the 10k service the dealership said my rotors/pads were at 95% or something like that. (basically they looked like new).

I also hope my clutch lasts more than another 3k miles...

Sounds to me like this car you're looking at was at least driven pretty hard.

On a side note, I'm about to mod my suspension and I don't plan on tracking the car, besides the occasional group track day 1-2x a year max.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Ask for the DME readout to see if there are any over-revs - if so further indication of possible track use.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I modifid my car and don't track it . In fact --lately i drive it like an old man --slow. As for brakes I have Brembos on them but i have never replaced brake rotors on my street cars . I don''t keep the car long enough but most of them have over 20K miles. My M3 has 33K on original pads.

Why modify it ? To me it's like art . A little sprint every now and then is like icing on the cake to the masterpiece.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:02 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Smells fishy to me............

Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 PM
sam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to behold
that sounds extremely fishy....

could it be the dealer is saying those parts were just replaced in order to make you feel more comfortable buying because there will be no unexpected wear and tear?

regardless i am at 25k miles with stock clutch, just replaced rear rotors/pads and about to replace front rotors and pads.

i dont track my car but i rape it everywhere i go lol. i bought the car 1 year ago with 10k miles and i have just been so spirited everywhere i go. I also go on canyons all the time...

so sounds phishy to me

Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Sounds plausible to me.

I do track this car but I would change the suspension whether I tracked it or not. And I would do the rest of the mods because that's what I do with every car.

My last 2 AMG's were never tracked but all had extensive mods. Same for the 3 Nissan 300 twin turbos I had. It's just the way some people are.

BUT, if all those parts WERE replaced, you bet that it was driven very hard on the street.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 PM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough

My 2007 TT has 27k miles on it. Its stock and I don't track it. I just had it serviced not long ago and I had the brake pads inspected. They said I had 80% left (I do a lot of downshifting to slow the car down). About 1 year ago Porsche had to replace my entire clutch assembly (under warranty) because of a defect caused by a bad part. The service manager told me I had 80% of the old clutch still left. i am not really hard on my cars but at the same time I know how to drive one properly (I have owned 5). Lets just say my average gas milage combo city highway is 14.5. That gives you a basic idea of how I like to drive (I also live in a city with steep hills).
Anyhow long story short, I would walk away from that car because things don't add up or the guy was a horrible driver. My guess is he is not telling the truth. Good luck

Old 01-07-2011, 04:45 AM
YZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the roughYZWILLY is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for all the help, WALKING AWAY

I thought it was fishy, but now my thoughts are confirmed, thanks and looks like I am running away from this one. thanks again.