997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Another aftermarket exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Overdraft is on a distinguished road
Another aftermarket exhaust thread

I know this topic has been beat to death - but I am having a heck of a time choosing a muffler from sound clips off the internet - and no one around here has an aftermarket exhaust system on a 997.2 TT that I can hear live.
I am not a kid...(read not crazy about loud) have a cab, want no drone, no CEL, but a nice burble on idle and rasp when accelerating. Hp & Torque gain OK...but not the primary driver to this decision - but rather to have an exhaust tone to match the power from these cars.
Does anyone have some clever way to seperate the players in this market so I can make the right choice. I liked the A.W.E video - didn't seem too loud under idle and then putting the car through its paces - and spoke this afternoon to a very happy customer to boot - but that is all I got at this time. Any great idea that can push me to the right unit - or should I just leave well enough alone and live with the sound I got.
Like I said in another post, I wish Porsche had the old 'Motor Sound Package' option I had on my 993 C4S... it was only $ 1,200.00 option as I remember

Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Rambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of light
I have a 2009 TT cab with a Tubi Street exhaust. I am also not a kid, and wanted it to sound more like a sports car, but not obnoxious (I like my neighbours). No drone at all. Nice rasp on acceleration. Granted, it's a very subjective thing, but the Tubi did it for me.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I really like my FVD system but it may be too loud for your tastes
However my recollection from speaking to Rhonda at FVD is that they can tweak the decibel level to your specific tastes

I heard all the major brands in person and FVD was to my ears by far the best

Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Overdraft
I know this topic has been beat to death
-

Yep you could say that.

I am not a kid...(read not crazy about loud) have a cab, want no drone, no CEL, but a nice burble on idle and rasp when accelerating. Hp & Torque gain OK...but not the primary driver to this decision - but rather to have an exhaust tone to match the power from these cars.
Then EP would have to be your best and possibly only solution .

Any great idea that can push me to the right unit - or should I just leave well enough alone and live with the sound I got.
Best idea. Stop chasing your tail looking for a better alternative to an EP because there is none. Looking at your criteria, reading the repeated posts of users that have gone through systems trying to find one that "really" doesnt drone.....as i said....the EP. For what you want the EP will deliver and, on all fronts. And then there is the incomparible build, fit and finish, that belongs on a car of this standard and price. PM K-ddsl or ask any one of the many .2tt EP users who had your exact criteria (nice sound...no drone). Youtube clips? You're kidding right?

There has been so many threads on this subject its mindboggling!! Every one wants to push their own poison and everyone wants a majic solution of no drone without paying the dollars for the work and effort that has gone into making the EP product. Its all amusing really. Judging an exhaust by a youtube sound clip is an absolute disaster in the waiting. I've made that very mistake and i wont be making it again in a hurry.

You mention 1.2k..... then you will need to put your hand a bit deeper in your pocket for an EP.....but you'll find its well worth it.....a bit like how you found it when you bought your .2 and paid the money.....well worth it.

But then again you can always seek to re invent the wheel. Always glad to hear when a new wheel is invented .

Last edited by speed21; 02-21-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Narcissist, there has been so many threads on this subject its mindboggling!!
Car-Narcissist isn't the OP.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rambo1
I have a 2009 TT cab with a Tubi Street exhaust. I am also not a kid, and wanted it to sound more like a sports car, but not obnoxious (I like my neighbours). No drone at all. Nice rasp on acceleration. Granted, it's a very subjective thing, but the Tubi did it for me.

Good luck!
No offense Rambo..and glad its doing it for you but i keep hearing about subjectiveness in drone. Its a bit like the common saying "pre genetic disposition". Drone is not subjective. Drone is drone. I had a tubi street. Not for a .2 but a .1....and it droned. Have also heard many users say how it doesnt (subjectivity again). Looking at the build between tubi .1 and .2 it looks the same old thing to me. No heat sheilding, joints everywhere, etc etc. Youd never want to put one alongside an EP or you'd feel robbed.

Where luck is concerned ive found its best to make your own luck. Does tubi give a money back garrantee against the subjectiveness of drone.
I know EP does .

Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by bbywu
Car-Narcissist isn't the OP.
Oops, sorry...will fix the post immediately. Thanks for pointing it out Bob.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM
mllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant future
My best advice is to "audition" each system in person. Youtube may be a starting point - but as I found out quickly - not very reflective of the actual sound, both in the cabin and outside.
It took me a few months to hear, in person, the systems I was initially interested in. But for a 4-6K investment, it was worth the time.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:52 AM
Rambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of lightRambo1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by speed21
Drone is not subjective. Drone is drone.

My "subjective" comment was referring to the very different sounds the various exhaust systems make and the different things people are looking for in an exhaust, not the drone. I agree that drone is not subjective. I had a different aftermarket exhaust on before the Tubi, and it droned, which is why I changed it for the Tubi. My Tubi on my cab has 0.0 drone. Can't comment on anyone else's experience with Tubi, only my own.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Based on your criteria, EP1.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Overdraft
I know this topic has been beat to death - but I am having a heck of a time choosing a muffler from sound clips off the internet - and no one around here has an aftermarket exhaust system on a 997.2 TT that I can hear live.
Does anyone have some clever way to seperate the players in this market so I can make the right choice. I liked the A.W.E video - didn't seem too loud under idle and then putting the car through its paces - and spoke this afternoon to a very happy customer to boot - but that is all I got at this time. Any great idea that can push me to the right unit - or should I just leave well enough alone and live with the sound I got.
Like I said in another post, I wish Porsche had the old 'Motor Sound Package' option I had on my 993 C4S... it was only $ 1,200.00 option as I remember
Did you see the YouTube video Bill did? NICE.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Mike/AWE
Did you see the YouTube video Bill did? NICE.

+1 it sounded great.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:20 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
I'm pretty sure I'm getting the EP1.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 AM
I have decided on a BBI exhaust. After speaking listening to 6 or 7 sound bites and with three alternate vendors I chose them. In the end my motivation to BBI was a) The sound, b) the discussions with other owners to what they heard in their systems c) The Quad tips on my Basalt Black car d) Re-use of the OEM 600 cell cats in the install - which appealled to me very much.

I was tempted by Europipe and AWE as all reviews from other owners were excellent and Stef and Mike were very knowledgeable and great to speak with....but the tone of the BBI appealled to me most - All subjective of course.

The exhaust has a long way to travel (California to Canada) but I will post clips when available. I am attaching the YouTube clip that won me over..and you can see in the related clips that come up, the quad tips are pretty cool (even for an old guy!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu5bqeB033s

Cheers.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Why do you want to reuse your cats?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another aftermarket exhaust thread