997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

3.8L VTG GT2 Upgrade Taking Shape...

Old 03-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
3.8L VTG GT2 Upgrade Taking Shape...

I had a build thread going for this GT2 but since the scope of the project has expanded so much since we started, and the original thread derailed just a little , I decided to update with a new thread. In the original post, we took this GT2 with our 68mm Billet VTG's up to about 750 rwhp.

68mm GT2 Build, Round 1

The customer knew all along that a built motor was his goal, but wanted a relatively quick turnaround on the car so he could spend some time driving it. After a few weeks in the car, it returned to us for Round 2.

Round 2 consists of a full 3.8L engine upgrade, LSD, built heads, and some pretty trick engine mods that I'll post up as soon as I have pics. The old thread takes us through the tear-down of the engine. Today some pretty spiffy new parts showed up that will make the perfect kick-off to this new thread. Enjoy.

Custom-made Mahle/Champion pistons and iron cylinder liners to replace the factory nickacil aluminum liners

Mahle designed these special lightweight wrist-pins with reduced diameter and special anti-friction coating:

Carrillo rods...

Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Nice.. The valve reliefs look quite large, what size valves will the accept? do you make those pistons and liners for the stock 3.6? Also what type of coating is on the domes? The piston skirts look like cup car.

Last edited by Tim941NYC; 03-30-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
same turbo's?

Old 03-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Nice.. The valve reliefs look quite large, what size valves will the accept? do you make those pistons and liners for the stock 3.6? Also what type of coating is on the domes? The piston skirts look like cup car.
Good eye. The pistons are designed for use with larger valves, since we're doing some extensive head-work to this engine (+2mm all the way around). The pistons themselves were designed with every performance option available from Mahle, including hard-anodizing and ant-friction patches on the skirts. The pistons are available for the 3.6, but the 3.8L piston/liner combo above was designed to handle MUCH more power.

Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
same turbo's?
Yup...we're VTG lovers...always have been always will be.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Tom:

I am patiently waiting for the completetion of my car but it is killing me. I know it's in good hands and will provide years of kicking butt. Waiting for the Mile Run to be approved by the politicians so I can take it down and set a good time for Champion.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Slow911TT68Tip
Tom:

I am patiently waiting for the completetion of my car but it is killing me. I know it's in good hands and will provide years of kicking butt. Waiting for the Mile Run to be approved by the politicians so I can take it down and set a good time for Champion.

haha I know...it's like Christmas Eve and you have to stare at all the presents under the tree.

Don't worry, have a good trip and we'll have some good stuff for you when you get back. We'll have to talk about a trip here to get the aero just right

Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
haha I know...it's like Christmas Eve and you have to stare at all the presents under the tree.

Don't worry, have a good trip and we'll have some good stuff for you when you get back. We'll have to talk about a trip here to get the aero just right

I am hoping y'all will have most of the car finished up by the time I return.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
If it gets done, I respectfully nominate myself to pick it up for you and then head to the airport to pick you up :-) Hehe.

I feel for you, but just imagine the fun when you get back.

Enjoy it in good health.

Cheers.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Former Vendor
OK....it's been a while, but parts are trickling back in and the project is gradually moving towards re-assembly. So I thought I'd start updating this thread with some pictures and eventually the final result.

So today's update is all about fueling. What you see in the pictures below is the development and prototyping of our 997 Turbo fueling kit. This prototype kit is going to be used as the basis for a full production fuel system that we will have available for the 997 Turbo. The prototype parts are going to be CAD-drawn, duplicated, and then "mass" produced so that we can offer this fuel system as an off-the-shelf part. Pump fuel or E85....it will suit either application and should be able to easily accommodate fueling up to about 2000 hp.

And remember our 997 Turbo display engine? It's being put to good use as the mock-up location of the fuel system as well as a few new parts you'll need to keep an eye out for very soon.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
Work of art

Old 05-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by edelectra
Work of art
Thanks ed...

I should have some pretty nice detailed pictures of the heads to post up either today or tomorrow morning. A lot of coolness going on there too

Old 05-04-2011, 01:44 PM
So today's update is all about fueling. What you see in the pictures below is the development and prototyping of our 997 Turbo fueling kit. This prototype kit is going to be used as the basis for a full production fuel system that we will have available for the 997 Turbo. The prototype parts are going to be CAD-drawn, duplicated, and then "mass" produced so that we can offer this fuel system as an off-the-shelf part. Pump fuel or E85....it will suit either application and should be able to easily accommodate fueling up to about 2000 hp.

I'll take 2000 HP!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Wind tunnel, huh? You guys don't waste your time.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by AlexM
Wind tunnel, huh? You guys don't waste your time.
Nope. Every single one of our Werks1 Aero components has been wind-tunnel tested prior to release. It's all about form AND function.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup...we're VTG lovers...always have been always will be.
Not trying to pry into proprietory information but--

What type of upgrade to achieve those numbers and what is the potential( estimate)?
Are GT2RS turbos the same?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3.8L VTG GT2 Upgrade Taking Shape...