997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Washing your car and getting the engine, airbox and blower wet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 AM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
Heavy rain and washing cause my belts/belt to squeal. Some of my symptoms are, error msg regarding batt chg once, and slight loss of power steering until the belt stops slipping on the pulley. I just rev it a bit until the belts/belt stop squeaking. I can't imagine some water getting into the engine compartment will damage the car.....right?

Ken

Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Texas911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MK23
What are you supposed to do when it rains (when it pours)?? I think I'm gonna call Porsche USA tomorrow and get some info..
You do that.

Last edited by Texas911; 05-02-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
What are you supposed to do when it rains (when it pours)?? I think I'm gonna call Porsche USA tomorrow and get some info..
I am curious to hear what they say... Also, remind them about their commercial and how you can use 911 as daily drive etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh9c_V9ocyg

Old 05-02-2011, 03:10 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
I am on my third turbo in 12 years , wash it and never had a single problem. Never had the idea to use a towel on the engine... And most of these years I was driving in Germany where it rains quite a lot.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=floridaBMW;3193474]Heavy rain and washing cause my belts/belt to squeal. Some of my symptoms are, error msg regarding batt chg once, and slight loss of power steering until the belt stops slipping on the pulley. I just rev it a bit until the belts/belt stop squeaking. I can't imagine some water getting into the engine compartment will damage the car.....right?

Can contribute to a belt that never stops squealling (washes out additives used in drive belts to soften belt against squealling) or a mass sensor that goes bad ($+$1000 to repair mine) or a power steering bearing going to pot. Stuff like that. I got tire of a squeaking belt and found a solution.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:48 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by 996TTer
I am on my third turbo in 12 years , wash it and never had a single problem. Never had the idea to use a towel on the engine... And most of these years I was driving in Germany where it rains quite a lot.
That's pure luck....even the dealerships know that water in the engine compartment is not the best situation for any engine and causes the well-covered up "factory squeal.".

Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
I dunno... I live in Seattle and when I drive my car to work, it rains on it all day long. Never heard anything... never thought to cover it up.

I just figured they must have thought of this issue...

Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
I dunno... I live in Seattle and when I drive my car to work, it rains on it all day long. Never heard anything... never thought to cover it up.

I just figured they must have thought of this issue...
Im with you Doc. Putting mats and things to cover up on the outside is a little pedantic. Some of you guys need to stop worrying so much about a little bit of water and spend more time driving the pants of the thing.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speed21
Im with you Doc. Putting mats and things to cover up on the outside is a little pedantic. Some of you guys need to stop worrying so much about a little bit of water and spend more time driving the pants of the thing.
Trust me, I don't want to worry about it. But after the wash, my check engine light came on. The car ran beautifully so I figured it was something to do with the engine compartment getting wet. I let it dry, turned it on--CEL still came on. I read on this forum and others that if you disconnect and reconnect the neg terminal of the battery for a few seconds, it will clear the CEL light. I did it and sure enough, no more CEL. I presume that if it was a chronic emissions issue (or something important), the CEL would go back on. Since it didn't, I can only assume it was related to the water. If it doesn't hurt the car, I don't give a s--t if there's an ocean of water in there--fish are ok too! But rest assured speed21, that I am spending less time worrying and more time enjoying

Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Trust me, I don't want to worry about it. But after the wash, my check engine light came on. The car ran beautifully so I figured it was something to do with the engine compartment getting wet. I let it dry, turned it on--CEL still came on. I read on this forum and others that if you disconnect and reconnect the neg terminal of the battery for a few seconds, it will clear the CEL light. I did it and sure enough, no more CEL. I presume that if it was a chronic emissions issue (or something important), the CEL would go back on. Since it didn't, I can only assume it was related to the water. If it doesn't hurt the car, I don't give a s--t if there's an ocean of water in there--fish are ok too! But rest assured speed21, that I am spending less time worrying and more time enjoying
Great to hear it MK23! Thats the way it should be!
I dont go crazy with the hose in the slat area anyway and usually hose just a little sideways against the grain of the slats and never directly inside the slats. Spraying directly toward the slat openings may possibly overload the draining system but looking at the inside of the lid it looks pretty well sorted out. Its hard to say what the cel was all about if the engine was running sweet. Did you note the code at all?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Great to hear it MK23! Thats the way it should be!
I dont go crazy with the hose in the slat area anyway and usually hose just a little sideways against the grain of the slats and never directly inside the slats. Spraying directly toward the slat openings may possibly overload the draining system but looking at the inside of the lid it looks pretty well sorted out. Its hard to say what the cel was all about if the engine was running sweet. Did you note the code at all?
No, I don't have one of those computer engine read out thingy's Is there a way to know the code without one of those? It just said, "drive to workshop." But thanks for the advice and encouragment!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Don't be so skeptical about pedantry. Thru detailed reporting of others, diseases have been prevented and too high-cost car breakdowns have been prevented.
Beides isn't this in part what this Forum is all about, to help others avoid expensive repair bills at Porsche. Or is the Forum just for happy face stuff like car photos, what tires, whether to flash, exhaust sound etc.
What is needed here is a prayer to the Rain-god to provide you a drowned mass air sensor and a drive-belt that will not stop squeaking to help remove from your thought process any evil associated with being "a little pedantic.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
I think what u've posted up until here was worth reading....

Ken

Originally Posted by johnww
What is needed here is a prayer to the Rain-god to provide you a drowned mass air sensor and a drive-belt that will not stop squeaking to help remove from your thought process any evil associated with being "a little pedantic.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 AM
CaptnCrash is on a distinguished road
It is interesting. We get the squealing belts after a wash, but never when driving in the rain, and it does rain hard here.

Maybe it's more wash water from the bottom that gets the belt wet while the engine is off that causes the issue ?

--CC

Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Turbonation is on a distinguished road
Sorry guys to bring this ...back from the dead

Direct quote from 997 GT2 Owners/Driver's Manual.

"Cleaning and preserving the engine compartment"

"The engine compartment and its surface are treated with a corrosion inhibitor at the factory".

"If grease solvents are used to clean the engine compartment, or the engine is washed down, the process almost invariably removes the corrosion inhibiting coating. It is therefore absolutely necessary to have durable preservative applied to all surfaces, body seams, joints, and assemblies in the engine compartment".

Am I missing something here, or this quote by the manufacturer (Porsche AG), makes perfect sense, i.e. NO problem to be expected from washing and using shampoos, water etc. to clean engine bay.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Washing your car and getting the engine, airbox and blower wet