997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo S or 991 Carrera S

Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
Der Turbo!!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I would agree with member function12 that buying the very first of a new model generally has its fair share of problems. I too would never do that again. I had a lot of niggely issues with the 997S which was one made the later part of the first batch manufactured. My bro on the other hand bought his from the second batch a few months after me in the following quarter and had zero problems. They made a few changes to certain components, rear seal was one of them.That is certainly something worthwhile considering if you plan buying the 991S. i.e. don't under any circumstance (ever never ever) buy from the first 1/4 or batch of manufacture. The other thing is discounting generally doesn't occur with any new P model until @ 12 months later or up until such stage when all the "I must be in the newest model" buyers are all soaked up by Porsche. Then you will be able to go and buy the 991 car for a sensible negotiated amount as P will be in a position to do deals to head off having their sales numbers stall/fall. Special order cars are also rarely discounted as P knows they have you on toast so rarely offer discount of any $ significance. With the turbo S, whilst i am certainly a turbo guy now, and fully agree with the whole power and performance vs 991S philosophy (yes the turbo is the king there...so any run it's see you later 991S), if i was looking to buy at the moment i would still most probably wait out and buy a 991S but only out of the second batch of manufacture and, when they are in a more negotiable $ position, and then run around in that until the second batch of turbo 991's comes out, and then do a deal trading out of the 991s into a 991tt or 991tts. A lot of turbo guys tend to do that here and it works out to be the better financial exercise. The 997tts at that stage will be in quite bad shape price wise going on past $ track records. But each to his own on that....I can only report on what I've seen happen myself. However, If i was able to buy a new 997TTS for the price you US guys can buy these cars for i would definitely buy the TTs new and gracefully accept 1/2 price for it (or less) at the time i traded it in for a new 991tt or 991tts, when it came out that is. But i know you USA guys for some reason still feel you pay a lot for your P cars therefore find it hard to get your heads around the $ side when your changing cars when in reality you're so far ahead of anyone else's game it's a joke. Out here in Aus the changeover $ is massive in comparison so we tend to buy more with our heads rather than our hearts as the baths are usually very very large here. Anyway GL with your final decision as either way they are both absolutely sensational cars. Probably the only other suggestion i can come up with is to perhaps sit in a 991, or drive one as well (but don't get roped in by the sales guy), then do the same with the TTS and make your mind up from there. Just appreciate your change over $ are nothing in comparison to what we get hit up for so if you can take on board the idea you have effectively stolen the car to begin with (which you have i can assure you of that much), then just trade it (the TTS) when the 991TT or TTS comes out and take the bath with a smile on your face. I mean what would you be talking about? 100K max? That's nothing to what we would be up for. So if you can do it for that amount then get the TTS 100% and enjoy owning one of the fastest cars on the road in the meantime till 991TTS comes out.

Last edited by speed21; 12-16-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
the S will hold its value and is way better to driver !!! you can always drive the turbo slower, but never feel that boost rush in the other....

Old 12-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Rysandro is on a distinguished road
Turbo S..

Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 PM
gerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the rough
If I had to do it all over again I would still pick the Turbo S.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:23 AM
godspeed521 is on a distinguished road
Turbo S hands down for all the reasons stated in previous posts, particularly if you can find a good used one with low miles (under 3k) for 20k+off sticker.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 AM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
No question, get a turbo S. As other members have posted, I'd opt for a gently used .2 S and enjoy!

What you save going this route (CPO) you can use when you take the hit should you choose to swap to the 991 early due to an uncontrollable urge to drive the latest model.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:47 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sicam
Hello Guys,

I've recently put an order down for the 997 Turbo S and already have a build date set for late January 2012, however since then the new 911 has come out and I've had friends tell me that I should just get the new carrera S instead.
I'd Like to hear your thoughts as I'm kind of undecided right now, on one hand I have this BEAST of a car and on the other the new generation (which will hold its value better).
I need good and SOUND advice, please!!!
Are you going to keep this car a long time? If just a couple of years, then TTs, but if longer, then IMHO you should wait for 991 Turbo.

I love my 997 Turbo but it's not a good idea to buy a car when a newer generation with such substantial change in interior and chassis (engine moved forward) is already out. The new car very likely will be "better," and most definitely, "faster."

If you must have a Porsche now (can't you wait?), get a cheap, or used one, while waiting for 991 Turbo.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Go with the 997 TTS and a chisel to try and get the smile off your face In a few years the Base or S 991 will be the base or S .... and old news....The TT is a legend car and insane fast and fun to drive...(IMO)

Old 12-17-2011, 12:42 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
With the limited images of what the 991tt will look like and the already mentioned facts about the car being longer and wider I just felt that the evolution was fast moving away from the 993tt look. The 997.1/.2tt best capture that 993tt look that I so love and that I associate with 911 the most.

I plan to keep mine for a long time like I have kept my 996tt(4+ years so far with no plans to sell). The TTS is a DD for me and I have taken it to the drag strip once and road course once. In both occasions it out performed my expectations. The car needs nothing in terms of mods and I come from the world of heavy modding my cars.

It is simple and pure for me. BTW, my first 911 was a CS 2005 that I kept a whole 408 miles before trading it in for a prior gen turbo. Good Luck.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:42 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
I would have thought the two cars are not even comparable but after spending some time on the new 991 microsite and seeing all the advancements, I can see why someone may contemplate getting the 991. I would still get the S, of course.

Slightly off topic but do you guys feel that advancements in both design and mechanicals from 997 to 991 were 'more signficant" than from 996 to 997? I haven't seen 991 yet but I feel like my car will look and feel ancient relative to the new design. I am not sure if 996 folks felt similar pains when 997 was introduced... Again, just my thoughts.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by sbkim
I would have thought the two cars are not even comparable but after spending some time on the new 991 microsite and seeing all the advancements, I can see why someone may contemplate getting the 991. I would still get the S, of course.

Slightly off topic but do you guys feel that advancements in both design and mechanicals from 997 to 991 were 'more signficant" than from 996 to 997? I haven't seen 991 yet but I feel like my car will look and feel ancient relative to the new design. I am not sure if 996 folks felt similar pains when 997 was introduced... Again, just my thoughts.
By all accounts, I would say the move to the 991 is more significant than the 996 was to the 997. We are talking about major revision of the frame, engine placement, interior changes that are radical, and of course, the electric steering among other things. The 991 is a redesign, where the 997 was more or less an improvement over the 996.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
^^^I wouldn't underestimate the changes between the 996 to 997 as being just mere "improvements" at all. A back to back drive of both cars resulted in the 996 feeling a long long way back in comparison to the 997. In fact so much so for me i could get into one quick enough and send my 996 packing. The look of the new body, the interior upgrades and standard features made an optioned 996 at run out money a bad deal. The same is happening now with the 991 vs the 997. The 997 car was a different platform to the 996 in the same way the 991 is to the outgoing 997....not just powder puff changes. Putting the acceleration factor to one side, which so far is the basic argument being put forward in this entire discussion, the 991S will be a significantly better car than the 997....end of story. One need only look at the body and the interior to know that....and then there is the underpinnings, as was the case with 996 vs 997. Porsche does not make any new platform worse. IMHO the S atmo package as (particularly as a DD) has always been the sweetest package to date and best all rounder in the entire line up. Maybe 991 platform may prove different between the variants...lets see. For me the smart money would be in the 991S any day over the TTS....putting aside the inevitable quirks that tend to go along with buying a new car out of the first batch made. Another thing for certain is the 991 is going to make the 997 look old news very soon once the numbers start getting into the traffic.

Last edited by speed21; 12-19-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
^^^I wouldn't underestimate the changes between the 996 to 997 as being just mere "improvements" at all. A back to back drive of both cars resulted in the 996 feeling a long long way back in comparison to the 997. In fact so much so for me i could get into one quick enough and send my 996 packing. The look of the new body, the interior upgrades and standard features made an optioned 996 at run out money a bad deal. The same is happening now with the 991 vs the 997. The 997 car was a different platform to the 996 in the same way the 991 is to the outgoing 997....not just powder puff changes. Putting the acceleration factor to one side, which so far is the basic argument being put forward in this entire discussion, the 991S will be a significantly better car than the 997....end of story. One need only look at the body and the interior to know that....and then there is the underpinnings, as was the case with 996 vs 997. Porsche does not make any new platform worse. IMHO the S atmo package as (particularly as a DD) has always been the sweetest package to date and best all rounder in the entire line up. Maybe 991 platform may prove different between the variants...lets see. For me the smart money would be in the 991S any day over the TTS....putting aside the inevitable quirks that tend to go along with buying a new car out of the first batch made.
Question is, the OP is comparing the Turbo S to a non Turbo, newer model. My vote still goes to the Turbo S, even with the older 997 platform.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by godspeed521
Question is, the OP is comparing the Turbo S to a non Turbo, newer model. My vote still goes to the Turbo S, even with the older 997 platform.
That's fine, but i still know where the smart money is . Acceleration is but one thing and the shine of the TTS will sadly fade very quickly along with its value.

PS. OP should ensure to never drive the 991 if he buys the TTS. That will only permanently spoil the fun and ownership experience....in the same way it did between 996 and 997. Take that to the bank. I certainly won't be driving one until I've got a big enough cheque in my hand to part with .

Last edited by speed21; 12-19-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo S or 991 Carrera S